Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger page 30 min charge projection lowered from 200 miles to 170 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I see a graph for 170 miles of some unit for 30 minutes for 120 kw Supercharging. Why don't they also include a graph for 90 kw Supercharging, seeing they have no interest in making that available to the early adopters, who without their $5,000 and $40,000 interest-free reservations would have made it difficult for Tesla Motors to become what they are today?

So true

If you want to know the back story of how this happened, it had to do with my Supercharger Time test. I was questioning that number myself and after working with Tesla on my data, they did realize that the web page was unclear.

"Tesla has been very helpful and responsive with my inquiries of my charge times. They pulled my records from the supercharger station and responded with sufficiently detailed data. In response, they also changed their supercharger web page from stating simply a 30-minute charge with 120kW would give you 200 miles of range (without any footnotes) to now stating 170 miles of EPA rated range (85kWh battery)."

For more details, you can read my detailed blog post on this. I hope to give a realistic perspective on Supercharging Times. On boring freeway drives say up or down I-5 in California, I can shoot for this 170 goal, but on other trips I'll probably keep my battery fuller.

Supercharger Time Test | Tesla Owner

So I see a graph for 170 miles of some unit for 30 minutes for 120 kw Supercharging. Why don't they also include a graph for 90 kw Supercharging, seeing they have no interest in making that available to the early adopters, who without their $5,000 and $40,000 interest-free reservations would have made it difficult for Tesla Motors to become what they are today?

Because most people understand the web site is about specs and features of the car that is currently available for order.
The 60's can't supercharge at 120 kW either, but I haven't heard of 60 owners making a big deal about it. I think some people just need to get over it. Supercharging is amazing even when it's not at the newest, fastest rate.

The 60's can't supercharge at 120 kW either, but I haven't heard of 60 owners making a big deal about it. I think some people just need to get over it. Supercharging is amazing even when it's not at the newest, fastest rate.

No, but 60's can still charge at a faster rate than the 85 Supercharging-Lite packs. Personally I wouldn't call 90 kW supercharging amazing but that's a subjective term so I guess everyone has different barometers.

I wouldn't be complaining if Tesla hadn't told us that our cars would be compatible with 120 (which they did). The fact of the matter is that they misled is with false statements.

Just checked. both in safari and firefox (since I rarely use it - no cache issues)
Screen Shot 2014-01-17 at 8.28.42 AM.jpg

..it has been changed again today! 1/17 (or last night)
Tesla keeps changing their mind...(or at least enough of us complained about the details)

the 40A charge said 15mi yesterday too, now it is 'only' 14

Just checked. both in safari and firefox (since I rarely use it - no cache issues)
It said 170 like a week ago. It said 200 last night. It says 170 today for me.

My assumption is that (perhaps due to TMC reports) they recognized that a recent update of the supercharger list accidentally reverted the 200->170 change, and they corrected it sometime this morning (or late last night, PT) back to 170. Additionally, while doing that they might have changed the 40A time just like Zex said.

Further evidence of a recent correction. Notice the URL of the image has yesterday's date in it:
Code:
http://www.teslamotors.com/tesla_theme/images/en_US/supercharger/charge_time.png?20140116
(10,14,170)

Here's the old image:
Code:
http://www.teslamotors.com/tesla_theme/images/en_US/supercharger/charge_time.png
(10,15,200)

I agree with Brianman, probably just a glitch while updating some other page, that was fixed this morning.

It said 170 like a week ago. It said 200 last night. It says 170 today for me.

My assumption is that (perhaps due to TMC reports) they recognized that a recent update of the supercharger list accidentally reverted the 200->170 change, and they corrected it sometime this morning (or late last night, PT) back to 170.

The 200 mile claim was vague. I sent a long letter (blog post actually) to Jerome about this with a bunch of charging data to get a response to this claim. As a result, they updated the page to clarify it. Now it says 85kW (newer batteries assumed here) but also it is talking about rated range miles. I think the 200 was have assuming ideal miles. The new page is a bit clearer.

it did say 200 mi for a while and lots? of people with older batteries complained. because it is currently not possible to ever get 200 mi in 30 min for us