Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Superchargers are overwhelmed with Model 3s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That helps a bit, but better solution is more "urban chargers" in locations where people Supercharge instead of home or work charging.

There are still some notable gaps in the Supercharger network in North America which need to be filled, but that's getting less and less.
But Tesla does need more Urban chargers in CA and more V2 and V3 chargers on heavily traveled routes.

Urban chargers will definitely help, but It won't help that much for those traveling and wanting to charge quickly. In this instance v3 would give Model s and x full access to 120kw charging no matter who is parked next to them (pair stalls) and allows Model 3s (and model y's) to charge quickly and leave. That means 50% more model 3's can charge an leave. Freeing up chargers for Model s/x.

You're making assertions. Do you have links to supporting data?

It's not assertions. I have traveled to superchargers (not near my house). One example - I plugged in when I was at 20% charge and a Model 3 was just to my left already charging. When I was finished - the guy to my left was still parked reading. I normally charge to 80% or 90% if there are open stalls available.

• Informative
Reactions: gfb107
It's not assertions. I have traveled to superchargers (not near my house). One example - I plugged in when I was at 20% charge and a Model 3 was just to my left already charging. When I was finished - the guy to my left was still parked reading. I normally charge to 80% or 90% if there are open stalls available.
Yes, they were. Your anecdote does not support your assertions, even if it was statistically significant, which it's not.

• Disagree
Reactions: GreenT
Which superchargers do you usually have to wait at?

Buena Park, Downey, San Diego, SJC (totally avoiding this one recently), Rancho Cucamonga, Burbank, Culver City, Indio (sometimes), Quartzsite (2 out of 3 times most recently). Santa Ana, Fountain Valley (I don't even go there any more), even had to wait in Cabazoon recently. On a trip to San Fran there were several I had to wait as well. Forgot the names.

• Informative
Reactions: juliusa
Yes, they were. Your anecdote does not support your assertions, even if it was statistically significant, which it's not.

I'm not saying the majority of people do this... I'm saying some do. @Oldschool496 is the one that said this:
Most are charging all the way up or near max SOC. Charge quickly and move along, people are waiting! should be a large sign at all SC.

We all did it when we were SC virgins.

You can also look at TeslaFi if your a member and see people charging live above 80% or 90% daily.

This is not so scientific, its normal human nature, since I'm here, lets get as fully charged as possible, that way I won't have to come as often, commuting, trip or other.

b0n3z experiances and mine are almost exactly the same. I arrive after a bunch of Model 3s and some X and S have been there for quite sometime. Charge to 60-70% and move along why at least they are still plugged in charging or not. Of course, I have changed my whole outlook on charging since virgin-hood.

The only time I use chargers is on trips.

Now the plan is to not skip chargers and hit and run with as little left of range as possible and responsible upon arrival. Of course I am driving a beast(Suburban if you will) with a 14 gallon tank, so I have to be nimble. Many are driving VWs with 22 gallon tanks speckled with Suburbans with 22 gallon tanks.

The VWs and other Suburbans are filling to the top either:

1. They have no charging option at home, yet or ever. The ever needs to be solved, too many reasons.
2. They are thrifty not realizing how much it really costs to charge at home. This differs greatly depending on your market and driving habits.
3. They are on a trip and want to stop as little as possible thinking it saves time. Which it does not unless every charger you go to your waiting, which reverts to almost all these examples.
4. The novel they are reading has totally sucked them in and what the heck I might as well get all the juice I can because I am in the camp
of 1, 2, or 3.
5. I just bought this car and I want to show off the car to my girls at the Supercharger. (I have seen it).
6. I paid for this car and I am going to get as many free electrons as I can stuff into my car.
7. I could go on,

I realize fully I probably won't make friends, I am just blunt this way. Sorry, its not intended to offend. Its just human nature all this stuff.
Plus to tell you the honest truth, I love the challenge of the whole thing weeding my way through this maze of inefficiency.

OR will they just raise S.C. pricing to make it less desirerable to charge away from home and push more to install and use home charging?

Luckily in Ontario Canada this issue hasn’t been a major concern for me , unlike some of the US it seems.
I only ever stop at a SC’s when I’m >200km (120miles) away from home and can’t make it back on a round trip. Most times there is no one or max three stalls in use.
they tried that and then everyone cried and the media picked it up. They don't want people thinking charging is expensive or it kills adoption.

Tesla's policy says: "We are continually expanding our global network of Supercharger stations to enable personal long distance travel and to provide a charging solution for those without immediate access to home or workplace charging"

Keyword being “immediate” as in you bought the car but haven’t yet finalized a solution to charge at home or at work. It still doesn’t convey using the SC network as primary charging for the life of the vehicle.

Here - let's put this "anecdote" or "assertions" aside and look at a snap-shop of today's charging at 11:40 AM PST from those that signed up to TeslaFi and are allowing their data to show here:

(How many do you see charging above 90% out of the total in the United States?)

teslafi_supercharging.jpg

Here - let's put this "anecdote" or "assertions" aside and look at a snap-shop of today's charging at 11:40 AM PST from those that signed up to TeslaFi and are allowing their data to show here:

(How many do you see charging above 90% out of the total in the United States?)

View attachment 391596

Teslafi only knows where the slider is set. Many people, myself included, set it high to avoid accidental idle fees if we leave the car to get a snack or hit the facilities. I rarely let it reach the slider limit

Isn't everything like this in CA? Roads full of car to the point where you cannot even maintain a safe following distance because it pisses other drivers off. Bad air quality. Not enough water. Not enough electricity. It's a challenging place to live in general. The rest of the country does not have these issues, except maybe around NYC.

• Love
Reactions: GreenT and Rocky_H