Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla survey shows take rate for Full Self-Driving package is surprisingly low

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Attachments

• FSD.jpg
    FSD.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 60
Seeing the jump in q2 '19, surely autonomy day had a lot to do with it. I wonder how many people actually believed in a million robo taxis by the end of 2020?

That's very possible. There was a lot of hype around Autonomy Day. And there was that video of a full trip with no interventions that Tesla reported as L3. Some people, who don't know Elon's record of misses FSD deadlines, might have assumed that robotaxis were coming soon.

But, I think that was around the time when Tesla changed the FSD "menu" and listed the Enhanced Autopilot features under FSD. I think seeing specific features they could get, might have prompted people to get FSD. Also, FSD went on sale where you could upgrade to FSD for $2000. That is when I bought FSD because I figured it would be cheapest that FSD would ever be. I think I was right about that.

Also, I think the expectation is that the mass market vehicles like the Model 3 would be the backbone of the robotaxi fleet. Yet, we are seeing that the take rate for Model 3's is very low. So, the car that is supposed to be the robotaxi, does not even have FSD. FSD seems to be a premium feature that owners of the premium vehicles like the Model S are opting into, not the owners of the mass market models. That could change of course if FSD becomes L4/L5.

That's very possible. There was a lot of hype around Autonomy Day. And there was that video of a full trip with no interventions that Tesla reported as L3. Some people, who don't know Elon's record of misses FSD deadlines, might have assumed that robotaxis were coming soon.

But, I think that was around the time when Tesla changed the FSD "menu" and listed the Enhanced Autopilot features under FSD. I think seeing specific features they could get, might have prompted people to get FSD. Also, FSD went on sale where you could upgrade to FSD for $2000. That is when I bought FSD because I figured it would be cheapest that FSD would ever be. I think I was right about that.

Also, I think the expectation is that the mass market vehicles like the Model 3 would be the backbone of the robotaxi fleet. Yet, we are seeing that the take rate for Model 3's is very low. So, the car that is supposed to be the robotaxi, does not even have FSD. FSD seems to be a premium feature that owners of the premium vehicles like the Model S are opting into, not the owners of the mass market models. That could change of course if FSD becomes L4/L5.
I would assume the explanation the the latter part is primarily because of vehicle cost. With my M3LR, it costs me about 15% of the value of the car. With the S&X, it's relatively less. I would also assume that someone that can afford an S or X, probably has has extra cash to pay for FSD without blinking an eye.

I would assume the explanation the the latter part is primarily because of vehicle cost. With my M3LR, it costs me about 15% of the value of the car. With the S&X, it's relatively less. I would also assume that someone that can afford an S or X, probably has has extra cash to pay for FSD without blinking an eye.

Yes, definitely!

Reactions: Microterf
Pricing probably had a lot to do FSD with take rates.

- FSD was $5k when I pre-ordered a MY. I think I missed out on the $3k or $4k by a few weeks.
- FSD has been $10k for a while. I pre-ordered my CT with FSD for $10k.

All of the major SW vendors have moved towards subscriptions to get a regular revenue stream. So not surprised that Tesla did this. They'll be able to change prices with features and enhancements.

I bought it because of the promise of at least some added features. And while there have been added features, most have proven to be useless in the real world. NAV on AP is fine on an empty freeway. But with traffic, drives me nuts. Worse than riding with grandma. Smart summon is great in theory. Problem is, commonly gets itself stuck and blocks the parking lot aisle and won't restart. So have to go running after the car to get it out of the way of traffic. Quite embarrassing. So now, won't consider using it unless the parking lot is virtually empty. The ability to stop at traffic lights seemed like a positive step, but, having to override it every single light so it doesn't stop at green lights, as its programmed to do for some odd reason, makes it more of an annoyance to use, and therefore do not.

Once in a while, when my car wash guy is coming, I'll use it to pull the car out of the garage. But even in that scenario, it shuts down half the time and won't restart.

So, while it technically has additional features, most are useless in practicality. The only things I use are the standard features that come with every car at no extra cost (lane keep assist and traffic aware cruise control). I'm one that likes to have all the available options, whether I use them or not. But, in this case, if I had it to do over again, I absolutely would pass on FSD and save the $10,000 until such a time that it is a reality.

I bought it because of the promise of at least some added features. And while there have been added features, most have proven to be useless in the real world. NAV on AP is fine on an empty freeway. But with traffic, drives me nuts. Worse than riding with grandma. Smart summon is great in theory. Problem is, commonly gets itself stuck and blocks the parking lot aisle and won't restart. So have to go running after the car to get it out of the way of traffic. Quite embarrassing. So now, won't consider using it unless the parking lot is virtually empty. The ability to stop at traffic lights seemed like a positive step, but, having to override it every single light so it doesn't stop at green lights, as its programmed to do for some odd reason, makes it more of an annoyance to use, and therefore do not.

Once in a while, when my car wash guy is coming, I'll use it to pull the car out of the garage. But even in that scenario, it shuts down half the time and won't restart.

So, while it technically has additional features, most are useless in practicality. The only things I use are the standard features that come with every car at no extra cost (lane keep assist and traffic aware cruise control). I'm one that likes to have all the available options, whether I use them or not. But, in this case, if I had it to do over again, I absolutely would pass on FSD and save the $10,000 until such a time that it is a reality.
Agree 100% with everything you said. I would only add that the lane change feature is nice most of the time, but not even close to $10k nice. My Model 3 had EAP and that was perfect, especially at the price point.

Reactions: kizamybute'
Agree 100% with everything you said. I would only add that the lane change feature is nice most of the time, but not even close to $10k nice. My Model 3 had EAP and that was perfect, especially at the price point.
I agree, EAP was a perfect blend. I had it on my prior car initially, before upgrading it to the FSD after Musk threatened to increase the price again and indicated yet another time that FSD was just about done and getting ready for release. So, I fell for it like the sucker that I apparently am! LOL and purchased the upgrade. Stupid me, fell for it yet again after hearing from Musk and when I ordered my 2019 Raven, FSD was again imminent with another price increase on coming very soon, so purchased it again. 2 1/4 years later, still short $10,000 and the price still hasn't gone up. If EAP was still available, would absolutely pay the $3,000 I paid for it on my last car. At that price, the features it has are arguably, worth it. $10,000 is worth it if the car was actually a Fully Self Driving Car, which is what most of us were paying for. Personally, I think the threats of price increases to encourage people to pony up for something they still can't deliver, are shady, especially for the most valuable car company in the world. Price should not have been and should not be increased again until true FSD can actually be delivered. At a minimum, at at least a "Level 3" level. We're still suck on level 2, as we have been since 2014.

How many of these complainers have even tried FSD? Fewer than you think.
How many of these complainers even own a Tesla? Fewer than you think.
How many of these complainers bought the FSD option? Fewer than you think.

I think many of these complaints are completely manufactured. I mean, we have some anonymous nicks complaining about Tesla's firmware when they don't even have a Tesla... 😆😅😂🤣☺️

MY_firmware_32_5_update.jpg

People are still lining up to buy Teslas every single day and some will opt for the very pricy FSD package. A monthly subscription will be more palatable for most.

I've gotten used to FSD and can't see myself going without. I don't use autopark or NoA and particularly care about autosteer city.

How many of these complainers have even tried FSD? Fewer than you think.
How many of these complainers even own a Tesla? Fewer than you think.
How many of these complainers bought the FSD option? Fewer than you think.

I think many of these complaints are completely manufactured. I mean, we have some anonymous nicks complaining about Tesla's firmware when they don't even have a Tesla... 😆😅😂🤣☺️

View attachment 704973

People are still lining up to buy Teslas every single day and some will opt for the very pricy FSD package. A monthly subscription will be more palatable for most.

I've gotten used to FSD and can't see myself going without. I don't use autopark or NoA and particularly care about autosteer city.

In other words, you primarily use it on the freeway for autosteer and adaptive cruise control? The two features that come standard on all cars. I love it for the freeway.

Reactions: JimBob 909
Yet, we are seeing that the take rate for Model 3's is very low.
I bought a Model 3 Long Range - most expensive car I have ever purchased, by a large amount; no way I was going to pay an additional $6,000-$8,000 for software that isn't complete and is non-transferable.

Guessing this is a common scenario? People already stretching their budget to get the best EV available.
Whereas people purchasing S/X have a much larger budget to work with?