Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to fix rapidly dying 12v batteries with software update.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Electrical system power reduced
Vehicle may shut down unexpectedly

Is this the Model 3 equivalent to the "12V Battery Needs Service" warning that's shown on the Model S60D screen in the article?
Seems like the message on the Model S is much more specific and calls for a clear action.

I had this issue on my vehicle last week. Mobile service came out and was done in less than 10 minutes.

What did Mobile Service do to fix the problem in 10 minutes?

i made some comments in the ohmmu battery thread that the most two recent software updates have changed the way model 3 charges the battery. i dont want to repeat myself but with my little anecdotal non scientific data, i can see a difference and that has also prevented the battery error from showing up on cats who use the ohmmu...

This will be nice. I've been monitoring my 12v battery for a bit and I'm having trouble understanding what might be a bad sign. Just before 6:30 pm today I backed the car out of the garage using summon and it did turn the light on. I thought it was odd the 12v went from 13.1v to 12.6v almost instantly but perhaps this is expected. It did kick the voltage back up to 14.4v quickly.

IMG_5740.PNG

This will be nice. I've been monitoring my 12v battery for a bit and I'm having trouble understanding what might be a bad sign. Just before 6:30 pm today I backed the car out of the garage using summon and it did turn the light on. I thought it was odd the 12v went from 13.1v to 12.6v almost instantly but perhaps this is expected. It did kick the voltage back up to 14.4v quickly.

View attachment 588677
I have been monitoring my 12 V battery for the past week. I noticed the following:

1. About every one day 1/2 (about 33 hours) the battery get charged for about one hour at 14.60 V

2020-08-13-tesla-12-v-3-days-log-jpg.587959

2. Detail of the battery been charge at 14.6 for about one hour.

2020-08-13-tesla-12-v-1-h-charge-jpg.587960

3. The battery discharge slowly from 13.20 V to 12.70 V (or about 0.5 V) during the next day and 1/2.

I noticed several pics of about 50 mV lasting 10 to 20 mS, and I suppose those correspond to an electrical pump starting since the car was sleeping.

2020-08-13-tesla-12-v-33-h-discharge-jpg.587966

Last edited:
  • Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Phlier and Noodles
I just had to have my 12v battery replaced due to failure, cost $120 for Tesla to do it since I am out of warranty at 50,400 miles and only 20 months (Nov ‘18), yup 400 miles out. Took the SC an hour since mobile would schedule two weeks out.
If you do a battery hard reset (unplug 12v and disconnect under rear seat) the battery will get you going again to get to the SC.

I just had to have my 12v battery replaced due to failure, cost $120 for Tesla to do it
since I am out of warranty at 50,400 miles and only 20 months (Nov ‘18), yup 400 miles out.
Took the SC an hour since mobile would schedule two weeks out.
If you do a battery hard reset (unplug 12v and disconnect under rear seat)
the battery will get you going again to get to the SC.
Did you ever measure the battery voltage?

I have a 2018/10 Model 3 and my battery still looks charging fine (see previous reply #11)

I have a Cigarette Lighter Splitter with a Voltmeter so I can easily check my car battery voltage.

Also I use the App 'Scan My Tesla' to get additional voltage and capacity information.

61ln1x2-e0L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
So out of curiosity, does the model 3 only charge the 12v battery say at home while the car is plugged in or does it do it while driving similar to an ICE car/alternator? Are people having this 12 volt battery issue making only short trips? I know my daughter had an issue years ago with short trips in her car and the alternator needed longer to fully charge the battery not sure if Tesla’s work the same or not?

Today morning my car had a black screen. When I rebooted, it showed that there is a problem with 12v battery which is less than 2 yrs old. I scheduled an appointment for next week. After a while got a call from Tesla saying that the battery has to be replaced sooner. Few hours later, a mobile service technician came and replaced it. He said that it was a software issue. Don't know which update caused it. But he said 36.10 update should be fine.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
like i posted in this thread:
Ohmmu Battery & 2020.28.6 update

model 3 charges the 12V when parking or driving or when the car is deep asleep.

i made a distinction that after the last two updates , model 3 charges the battery more so than it did in prior versions. they are for sure doing something differently in the charging system.

I saw that entry on that thread. So do you think that based on the changed behavior that cars without the ohmmu battery should last longer now?

I wonder how far that this old charging behavior went...

Reactions: lUtriaNt
I saw that entry on that thread. So do you think that based on the changed behavior that cars without the ohmmu battery should last longer now?

I wonder how far that this old charging behavior went...

all i can say comfortably is i know the charging "algorithm" , if you will, has changed in that the battery is constantly charging more than not. on older firmware, i would see "bumps" in charging voltages at certain times but now i see a consistent charging whilst model 3 is on and driving. the monitor shows steady charging and higher charge current than it did on older firmware. again just my armchair non expert viewpoint.

i think the charging "updates" tesla have done should be more healthier and beneficial for conventional batteries. again my non expert opinion based on the changes ive seen in the last two updates.

• Informative
Reactions: john5520 and Phlier