Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to J1772 adapter recommendations?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Asking here as well since I’m not sure how much traffic the global charging sub forum gets.
Any feedback or recommendations between Teslatap, EVSEAdapters.com, or Amazon brands (Lectron, etc.)?

Tesla chargers are intended for and designed for Tesla vehicles. Unless Tesla agrees to provide access to other vehicles, you shouldn't count of using Tesla chargers, even if you can find an adapter.

The other manufacturers are years behind Tesla in providing a nationwide fast long distance charging network. If you plan to take road trips in an EV, either purchase a Tesla and use their supercharger network, or project the routes you plan to take with the EV and investigate what (if any) fast chargers are available on or near those routes that can be used by non-Tesla EVs.

Umm, ok. Thanks for keeping the Tesla moat alive.
My question/intent is to use my HPWC to also charge the impending new car alongside my P85D. Thanks for the road tripping advice, though, esp regarding what I should purchase if I want to go on said trips.
None of these adapters will work with Superchargers, which is really the only Tesla-owned technology and infrastructure. HPWCs/Destination chargers are just L2 EVSEs that Tesla may have provided to businesses, but the cost of the electricity is footed by the proprietors. I’ll just leave it at that. No need to have a religious debate about charging etiquette.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
There is another called the JDapter Stub. I don't have any Tesla to J1772 adapters, but I've got two UMCs that were converted from Tesla to a J1772 adapter (the Tesla wand was cut off and a J1772 handle was put in it's place). I used 2 different companies for those, and they both sell the Teslatap or JDapter Stub. Here are the links:

Thanks! QC is out of stock still. Will prob stick to Teslatap.

What about selling the HPWC and purchasing a J1772 wall connector? This would let you natively charge your other car and then use the simple J1772 to Tesla adapter to charge the Tesla. Tesla to J1772 adapters seem to be overly expensive and clunky devices. Making an assumption that you already have the J1772 adapter for your Tesla.

You could also spring for a dual output J1772 wall connector so you can charge both cars at once, even with only a 40A circuit.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Tesla chargers are intended for and designed for Tesla vehicles. Unless Tesla agrees to provide access to other vehicles, you shouldn't count of using Tesla chargers, even if you can find an adapter.

The other manufacturers are years behind Tesla in providing a nationwide fast long distance charging network. If you plan to take road trips in an EV, either purchase a Tesla and use their supercharger network, or project the routes you plan to take with the EV and investigate what (if any) fast chargers are available on or near those routes that can be used by non-Tesla EVs.
Clearly you misunderstood the question.

What about selling the HPWC and purchasing a J1772 wall connector? This would let you natively charge your other car and then use the simple J1772 to Tesla adapter to charge the Tesla. Tesla to J1772 adapters seem to be overly expensive and clunky devices. Making an assumption that you already have the J1772 adapter for your Tesla.

You could also spring for a dual output J1772 wall connector so you can charge both cars at once, even with only a 40A circuit.
Path of least resistance and cost is getting the adapter. My P85D takes precedence so HPWC stays… :)

BTW, the Cooper SE is one fun little car to drive. Decent acceleration. Too bad the range is only 110 miles. Leaf is, well, a Leaf. Checks all the boxes for safety and practically on top of the huge total incentives right now.

Reactions: kayak1
I use the TeslaTap it works great.

What some people don't understand is that the Tesla UMC is probably best portable so far. Kit it with an assortment of pigtails and a TeslaTap and you have a great portable solution for charging everything from motorcycles to Model S's.
I wish the HPWC with the NEMA plug was avail when I first bought my car. Would’ve had the 15-40 outlet installed vs hard-wiring the Gen2 HPWC. I knew we’d eventually get another EV for kid use, but wanted to stick with the convenience of the HPWC vs using the UMC daily.

I wish the HPWC with the NEMA plug was avail when I first bought my car. Would’ve had the 15-40 outlet installed vs hard-wiring the Gen2 HPWC. I knew we’d eventually get another EV for kid use, but wanted to stick with the convenience of the HPWC vs using the UMC daily.

Hard-wired is considerably more reliable and safer.

In some ways a tesla -> J1772 adapter is a bit of a kludge, but on the other hand the Tesla AC chargers are leagues better than most other chargers and not actually that expensive. If you start with a tesla and add another EV, it's an obvious dongle to buy rather than pulling and replacing the L2 tesla charger with some other nearly as expensive piece of kit of dubious quality.

Plus, if you've got some other non-tesla EV, access to the tesla destination network seems like a pretty good option.

Reactions: Doanster1 and SigNC
I believe JDapter stub was the first and is solidly built. The company was started by an EV enthusiast. All the others are knock-offs.
Not quite sure I can agree with that. Just because Jdapter was the first one (if that's true, I honestly don't know) doesn't mean that others are knock-offs. Following that logic any car that's not a Benz would be a knock-off.

Also, the cable on the Lectron looks way more solid to me than the one on the JDapter.

This is not to say that there is anything wrong with the JDapter. All I'm saying is that there are viable choices that shouldn't be disregarded just because someone built their adapter first.

Reactions: kayak1 and Rocky_H