Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to make "exciting announcement on Thursday" (correction Tuesday)

What will Elon's "exciting announcement" be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This will disappoint those hoping the announcement was about making Model S more attainable. In essence, this is nothing more than a low-interest finance program (2.95% APR over 66 months, according to the calculator) with a buy-back program after 36 months. The former is something practically all manufacturers offer, while the latter is something Hyundai did a few years ago with their Assurance program. Lease residual values, on the whole, tend to be conservative (i.e., you're likely to get more from your car selling it on your own--an option some people exercise lease-end when there's still equity in the vehicle) and they vary depending on the month and year. It should be interesting which S-Class residual value Tesla chooses.

For example, for March 2013 the residual on the lame-duck S550 is 54% at 36 months, 15,000 miles a year. When the all-new S-class comes out, it will likely be higher by more than 5%. Tesla's in it to make money, not volume, and they have enough demand where they don't need to offer subsidized lease deals. Those hoping to lease a $60,000 car for $300/month and $0 down payment will have to stick with the E350 BlueTEC for now, as I've done myself. The major automakers can afford to have screaming good deals from time to time; Tesla can't.

The S550 is the target, indeed, and looks to float with changes to the ALGs S550 residual over time:

Welcome to the Tesla Family! Your vehicle identified above (“Vehicle”) qualifies for our "Resale Value Guarantee". We guarantee that your vehicle will have a resale value after 3 years of at least 43% of the original purchase price (exclusive of taxes, fees and accessories) of your vehicle. This resale value percentage is based on an average of the last twelve months of residual value percentage for a three year old Mercedes S550 as established by Automotive Leasing Guide. The dollar value of your Guaranteed Resale Value is indicated above. During the period between 36 months to 39 months from your Guarantee Effective Date, you have the option to sell your vehicle to Tesla for the Guaranteed Resale Value.

Except Tesla does that tax credit for you.

Actually, reading closely I think not even that. They are just saying your 10% down payment will be "covered" by the tax credit. In other words you will get it back from the government when you file your taxes. Since it isn't a lease I don't believe there is any mechanism for them to get the tax credit on your behalf.

The S550 is the target, indeed, and looks to float with changes to the ALGs S550 residual over time:

Welcome to the Tesla Family! Your vehicle identified above (“Vehicle”) qualifies for our "Resale Value Guarantee". We guarantee that your vehicle will have a resale value after 3 years of at least 43% of the original purchase price (exclusive of taxes, fees and accessories) of your vehicle. This resale value percentage is based on an average of the last twelve months of residual value percentage for a three year old Mercedes S550 as established by Automotive Leasing Guide. The dollar value of your Guaranteed Resale Value is indicated above. During the period between 36 months to 39 months from your Guarantee Effective Date, you have the option to sell your vehicle to Tesla for the Guaranteed Resale Value.

Given the 43% number here, I'll plan to buy a CPO 3 year old model S for 50-60% of the asking cost today. Makes it affordable for myself anyways.

I suspect the stock market will see this for what it is - a necessity to keep sales volumes up since the Tesla model crumbles the moment the factory has to run at less than full capacity or produce unsold cars. Existing car companies are massive enough to tolerate such swings in demand, basically cause of scale and the fact their financing/leasing arms are the real engines of their profits. Long term, anything that gets more orders into the factory without discounting prices is great for us owners and for Tesla. Short term, IMHO this will strike a little fear into the market regarding Tesla's sensitivity to order volumes.

Actually, reading closely I think not even that. They are just saying your 10% down payment will be "covered" by the tax credit. In other words you will get it back from the government when you file your taxes. Since it isn't a lease I don't believe there is any mechanism for them to get the tax credit on your behalf.

The financing co. will finance the initial 10% down in addition to the rest of the car:

US Bank and Wells Fargo will provide 10% down financing assuming a good credit rating, and the down payment is covered or more than covered by US Federal and state tax credits ranging from $7,500 to $15,000.

Just a guess. I'd be willing to bet there are many people who would love to buy a Model S, who can't afford it. A Signature Model S costs about the same as a $40,000 car. I'd be willing to bet there are many people who would love to buy a Model S that can't buy it. If I understand correctly, Tesla is offering people the opportunity to own the Model S for 36 months, at a normal financing rate, with a guaranteed trade in price after 3 years. This doesn't diminish the cache of the Model S, and makes it possible for more people to buy the Model S. Isn't this very good?

If you think about it... after your disappointment or euphoria seeps in this is actually a revolutionary plan and puts a lot at ease for smart luxury consumers. Wealthy people absolutely hate not building equity. Leases are literally throw away money and are only bought to switch cars more often. This plan allows for an insane amount of flexibility and no guilt. Also 0 down is huge.

Thanks for sharing. The ALG residual value is lower than the MBFS figures on which actual leases are based. Practically everyone will be better off selling on their own, or even to CarMax, IMO.

I found the announcement a bit underwhelming, but it looks like there's three other announcements coming up one per week for the next three weeks (discussion here). From the Mercury News liveblog:

Elon: people are thinking will we announce some huge expansion of superchargers.
or something else really amazing
we will make those announcements, but not today
Elon says Tesla will make announcements every week from here on out.

The financing co. will finance the initial 10% down in addition to the rest of the car:

US Bank and Wells Fargo will provide 10% down financing assuming a good credit rating, and the down payment is covered or more than covered by US Federal and state tax credits ranging from $7,500 to $15,000.

If only you can claim the tax rebate, then I bet the banks term's have you signing this over to them. I don't know how that's going to work if you don't have any tax liability though.