Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to make "exciting announcement on Thursday" (correction Tuesday)

What will Elon's "exciting announcement" be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agree and agree. More superchargers doesn't feel like a big enough deal given what Tesla has already said. ...

And interestingly the Superchargers have historically had underwhelming response. We EV drivers love them but ICE drivers have a hard time realizing that driving free, on the sun, forever is completely awesome.

You don't think another Easter egg?
What if all 85kwh battery cars already shipped are actually 100kwh ones and they too are being software restricted?
But if so, you'd have expected it to have been announced this morning already.
Ok, I got excited for a moment there.

With this not being an event, I think it has to be financial, battery tech or supercharger. I really want to think that it's going to be Supercharger but I think Battery tech fits the needed size but I don't know how Elon would be putting his money where his mouth is with that.

Say the Model X was delayed because it is essentially a follow-up (battery and production wise) to the Model S. They know how much money they are going to make on them once they are produced. Maybe Tesla has found a battery solution to the Gen III vehicle that will allow for moving up the mass production date for that vehicle, especially if he knows they can mass produce it at a profit, and get many more electric cars on the road. Thats Elon's ultimate plan.

With more car companies (BMW i3) getting in to the electric car business, Tesla needs to stay at the forefront. I'm hoping it's for Gen III production starting sooner than anticipated, paid for by Elon kicking in the cash to build out the Fremont plant (money where his mouth is). The thing is though, if they had access to battery technology that would make the Gen III vehicle a real game changer (price/range), the general public would almost certainly have found out about it by now. Maybe couple that with a supercharger build out. Very much looking forward to the call.

RT

A conference call with Q&A session. This means it must be a rather big thing. Since Superchargers have already been announced and received a lot of press, I don't think it would simply be an accelerated installation of them. How many questions would there be to ask about that?

The official Gen3 announcement would fit this bill, something everyone will have lots of questions about.

The removal of the 40 kWh battery option made me wonder whether they would add a larger option on top, using a new battery cell. But it seems a bit early for this, and also, this wouldn't seem to invite that many questions.

A new alliance with a larger company might be a big thing, however it doesn't seem to fit in my current picture of how things are going to develop. I see Tesla as continuing to stand very much on its own feet, innovating from a fresh start.

What else could be big enough for a conference call with Q&A session?

From their press release -

PALO ALTO, Calif.-- Tesla Motors, Inc. will hold a conference call on April 2, 2013 at 2:00pm Pacific Standard Time (5:00pm Eastern Standard Time) for media, analysts and investors to make an announcement. Following remarks from Elon Musk, Tesla Motors co-founder and CEO, media and analysts are invited to participate in a question and answer session.

What: Tesla Motors, Inc. Announcement
When: Tuesday, April 2, 2013
Time: 2:00pm Pacific Standard Time / 5:00pm Eastern Standard Time
Press Release Will Be Available At: Press Center | Tesla Motors
Webcast: ir.teslamotors.com (live and replay)
Live Call: (877) 312-5519 / (760) 666-3771 (International)

Approximately two hours after the call, a digital recording of the Q&A session will be available for a period of two weeks following the date of the call. To access the recording, please dial in to one of the following numbers using the conference ID shown.

Replay Dial-In #: (855) 859-2056 Conference ID#: 31702733
International Replay Dial-In #: (404) 537-3406 Conference ID# 31702733

- - - Updated - - -

Someone made a comment that the Federal loan is partly based on the requirement to produce the 40kWh version of the car. Trying to research this, but does anyone know if this is the case or not?

Whenever I ask myself what the call will be about. I am reminded of the phrase "Money where my mouth is"....

I don't think Elon has said anything about Gen3 recently so I don't think it is that, I also don't think he could magically spend money to make the car cheaper for the masses. Part of the reason for the Gen3 being so far away is because of the adoption of EV's need to happen gardually over time, thus bringing down the price of the product.

I also don't think he would have a call to simply pay off the loan. Why wouldn't he just tweet "Oh hey guys, totally going to pay this off now"...

The only other reason I could think he would want a huge event for the loan, would be to get all the bad press off Tesla's back for once. Though this thought also has a counter argument, really the press will ALWAYS blame Tesla for taking a loan from the government, even when its gone. The press is swayed, not by information and truth, but for leaning towards opinions and party lines. No doubt today's news of no 40kwh anymore will have headlines drum up "The super rich can only afford this car" and "Look, the rich are making the barrier to this car even HIGHER!"

Just my two cents. I am so baffled as to what could be "better news" then today, because I am amazed about today's news.

Whenever I ask myself what the call will be about. I am reminded of the phrase "Money where my mouth is"....

I don't think Elon has said anything about Gen3 recently so I don't think it is that, I also don't think he could magically spend money to make the car cheaper for the masses. Part of the reason for the Gen3 being so far away is because of the adoption of EV's need to happen gardually over time, thus bringing down the price of the product.

I also don't think he would have a call to simply pay off the loan. Why wouldn't he just tweet "Oh hey guys, totally going to pay this off now"...

The only other reason I could think he would want a huge event for the loan, would be to get all the bad press off Tesla's back for once. Though this thought also has a counter argument, really the press will ALWAYS blame Tesla for taking a loan from the government, even when its gone. The press is swayed, not by information and truth, but for leaning towards opinions and party lines. No doubt today's news of no 40kwh anymore will have headlines drum up "The super rich can only afford this car" and "Look, the rich are making the barrier to this car even HIGHER!"

Just my two cents. I am so baffled as to what could be "better news" then today, because I am amazed about today's news.

Paying off the loan doesn't make sense to me either. Wading through DOE loan covenants to see if the 40kWh model was part of the project milestones that needed to be satisfied.

I voted for "other" because I didn't think tomorrow's announcement would be a big deal but now I wonder what they are going to do with the money they saved on the 40kWh R&D, testing and development. Does anyone know if the announcement will be made by blog, tweet, or press release? Or what time?

Edit: I see the tweet now. Webcast or conference call at 2 PST.

Last edited:
A conference call with Q&A session. This means it must be a rather big thing. Since Superchargers have already been announced and received a lot of press, I don't think it would simply be an accelerated installation of them. How many questions would there be to ask about that?

The official Gen3 announcement would fit this bill, something everyone will have lots of questions about.

The removal of the 40 kWh battery option made me wonder whether they would add a larger option on top, using a new battery cell. But it seems a bit early for this, and also, this wouldn't seem to invite that many questions.

A new alliance with a larger company might be a big thing, however it doesn't seem to fit in my current picture of how things are going to develop. I see Tesla as continuing to stand very much on its own feet, innovating from a fresh start.

What else could be big enough for a conference call with Q&A session?
Would seem the where and when of an accelerated Supercharger network would be fodder. Still believe it will be joint ventured.

And interestingly the Superchargers have historically had underwhelming response. We EV drivers love them but ICE drivers have a hard time realizing that driving free, on the sun, forever is completely awesome.

I think most ICE drivers believe that the supercharger network will be free until there are enough cars on the road, at which point Tesla will start charging a fee in order to charge. Or at least this has been stated by a few people when I explained the superchargers to them... I am really pulling for the gen3 announcement even though really do not think it will happen..

To add fuel to the loan payoff argument: reports are that Tesla has renegotiated the warrants on the loan such that they don't need to be counted as liabilities anymore. Why were they having negotiations? And how did they end in the DOE giving up its warrants?

Still trying to figure out if the DOE loan is tied to production of the 40kwh version of the car. This sounds familiar, but I can't find any definitely source to confirm.

Still trying to figure out if the DOE loan is tied to production of the 40kwh version of the car. This sounds familiar, but I can't find any definitely source to confirm.

Quite a long time ago, I mentioned, in a discussion here, the *possibility* that the loan *might* be conditioned on the base price being $50k (after tax credit). I don't know if that might be what you refer to, though.