Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to make "exciting announcement on Thursday" (correction Tuesday)

What will Elon's "exciting announcement" be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today Elon announces (on his nickel) that Costco and Walmart will put Solar City panels on their roof’s & a Tesla SuperCharger at all their stores…worldwide!

Wouldn't Costco and/or Wal-Mart want to be part of that announcement, or do you think they'd just let him make the announcement whenever he felt like it? It's for this reason that I don't think it has anything to do with "partnering" with any big company about anything -- given the context and quick movement of the announcement, it implies no coordination, and a joint announcement would require some level of coordination with the other party (especially a company as big as Costco or Wal-Mart, but this applies to almost anyone like a hotel chain or Starbucks etc.).

The SECOND book in the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy 5 part trilogy (? pentogy?) is "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe". Therefore I bet the announcement is a SuperCharger partnership with a major restaurant chain (Starbux).

ADN_ModelS - I'm with you: it's most likely a partnership with either McD or (preferably, from a brand point of view) SBUX to expand the charging network quickly without needing to negotiate one site at a time. Superchargers on highways, regular HPWC's in town, captive audience for the restaurant partner and addressing the main concern holding back broader adoption of EV's (range). I'm guessing there was a whiteboard session right after the Broder saga, where Elon, George and team went through alternatives to win back the lost orders/market cap and address the range anxiety concern. I'm sure they would have identified the need to address this head on, ie both the charging infrastructure buildout and the perception issue. It may also include the improved charging speed that has been discussed previously. This would fit with an investment by Elon/Tesla (putting his money) where we all go to eat (where his mouth is), and the "Restaurant at the end of the Universe" would seem to further confirm that.

All p85 owners will get stocks worth the equivalent of the Performance premium - and all 85 owners gets a free software update to make the car a performance version.

I really hope they don't make such a big deal from the leasing topic, as it isnt really the biggest news In the World. That should come as a regular press release.

Yeah, leasing would be important and fits "put my money where my mouth is", but why do I have a feeling it would be at least partially a technical thing?

If "money where my mouth is" is taken literally, I would guess it would be Elon capitalizing a new leasing company and using it to offer leasing terms at more competitive rates than he has been able to negotiate with traditional lessors thus far. Musk obviously does not have the capital to single-handedly provide a balance sheet for a full scale leasing program, but does have the capital required to provide the equity backing up a specialty finance company focused on Tesla leases. The question then becomes, who provides the debt capital, and on what terms? Elon would presumably be taking a more significant risk with the equity capital, but likely sees a Model S offering a residual value far in excess of what other lessors might be willing to use in their own calculations, and there lies his opportunity, and risk.

Here's what Musk said re: leasing on the last earnings call:
Leasing. So all of the sales and all of the things that I mentioned thus far are with 0 U.S. -- 0 North American leasing. So we don't even offer leasing in North America, that is something that we do want to offer maybe second half of the year but we want to make sure that the terms of the lease like interest rate and all that are compelling. Even if we did 0 leasing in North America, we could still sell all of our productions here. So leasing is entirely optional for us at this point and we only want to come out with the leasing product that's compelling. We don't want to come out with a kind of a lame leasing product, and we are talking with some of the major financial institutions in the world about doing leasing and those talks are progressing in a good direction, that in order for us to get the best rates for our customers -- I mean, we're not really interested in making much incremental money with leasing but we want to make sure we get a good deal for customers. It's important for the -- those big financial institutions to feel really comfortable with Tesla and that's why -- and one of the reasons that could be helpful for us to be profitable this quarter and possibly, quarters is to give greater confidence to the large banks in giving us -- for our customers a good leasing interest rate, and I guess that's usually comforting to the big financial companies. And I do see long term, not so much this year, I think this year leasing is going to comprise a small percentage of our volume. But I do think next year leasing will be a big factor. And within Europe, it'll be at least a moderate factor this year. We already have a significant leasing deal signed with Athlon, which is one of the major European leasing companies.

It just clicked for me. This will be related to chargers at a food/beverage chain of some sort. It just makes sense with the hints thus far!

I thought for sure this was going to be the crux of the original September 2012 supercharger announcement, since it solves so many SC issues at once (leasing the land, parking access, what do do while charging, how to make money while people are charging, etc.). It would be nice to see it today, especially if it rapidly accelerates the rollout of SCs...and I mean ten or twenty new sites a month, with full coverage across the US by end of the year.

It wouldn't be boring to all those people who couldn't afford to layout the big bucks all at once. It wouldn't bore the bottom line for Tesla and thus for investors.

Glad I said bore ME then.

Bored or not, the announcement of something we knew was coming but that got delayed is hardly worth the hype unless there's some sort of twist.

I do work for a company that actually negotiates with restaurants and puts equipment in them. They have signed nationwide deals with some large chains. And even after 2 years a couple of those chain's stores are still without the machines. While a deal with Starbucks or MickyDs would be great, there is still a problem of actually getting the things installed.

from my WinPhone

@ModelS8794:
Thanks for the spotlight, so it is not a leasing program.
Now what? I really can't confidently put my finger on anything suggested so far.

Tesla/Elon to repay DOE loan. -- nonsense, throwing away good money on nothing.
Tesla stock buy-back/Elon to take TSLA private. -- again, what is there to be gained with even more money right now? Tesla is well funded as it is.
Official announcement of Gen3/Bluestar. -- Only few weeks ago it was pushed back into 2017
Tesla to set up additional production in Europe. -- Possibly, but again why? Factory is huge investment, Model S is selling like hotcakes in Europe already. Why sped more money this way while only using 10% of Fremont capacity.
Tesla/Elon to set up financing/leasing program. -- Elon says financing is not a problem yet i.e. nothing to be gained.
Google/Apple to work with Tesla. -- work on what exactly?
Completion of 10,000th Model S. -- This is news? Really?
Expansion of the Supercharger network. -- Nothing new about it. Did they say the current SC is all they are building? The plan is a SC every ~120 miles.
Elon to literally "eat" his fortune. -- ...