Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to make "exciting announcement on Thursday" (correction Tuesday)

What will Elon's "exciting announcement" be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought for sure this was going to be the crux of the original September 2012 supercharger announcement, since it solves so many SC issues at once (leasing the land, parking access, what do do while charging, how to make money while people are charging, etc.). It would be nice to see it today, especially if it rapidly accelerates the rollout of SCs...and I mean ten or twenty new sites a month, with full coverage across the US by end of the year.

Yep, exactly. I think this is the only one that really works. There are lots of other good ideas here, but they all have too many reasons why they don't fit with this announcement. For example, acceleration of GenIII just isn't going to happen. Leasing, while important at some point, would just accelerate demand, which isn't the main focus at the moment, since they're production constrained and also doesn't fit with Elon's categorization as potentially more important than the profitability announcement yesterday. Now, the question in my mind is - just how big of a positive would the expansion of the charging network be?

Glad I said bore ME then.

Bored or not, the announcement of something we knew was coming but that got delayed is hardly worth the hype unless there's some sort of twist.

Yes, I understood perfectly that 'YOU' would be bored. Just stating a fact in response that there are a lot of 'other' people who wouldn't be bored. That's called participating in a discussion and offering another POV. Do you require me to send you another hug?

As far as I can see, watching the share price of Tesla rise, the hype has totally been worth it to someone.

@ModelS8794:
Thanks for the spotlight, so it is not a leasing program.
Now what? I really can't confidently put my finger on anything suggested so far.

I dunno, I think leasing-related is the best guess, it's what I would bet on (given good enough odds!) ;) It's April already, if he wants to have a program "in the second half of the year" then now would be as good a time as any to announce its formation.

Yes, I understood perfectly that 'YOU' would be bored. Just stating a fact in response that there are a lot of 'other' people who wouldn't be bored. That's called participating in a discussion and offering another POV. Do you require me to send you another hug?

As far as I can see, watching the share price of Tesla rise, the hype has totally been worth it to someone.

Yeah driving up the stock price with a big announcement that turns out not to be so big is a good idea.

Boy. Wolf.

I do work for a company that actually negotiates with restaurants and puts equipment in them. They have signed nationwide deals with some large chains. And even after 2 years a couple of those chain's stores are still without the machines. While a deal with Starbucks or MickyDs would be great, there is still a problem of actually getting the things installed.

from my WinPhone

ElSupreme, good insight, and I agree that signing the agreement doesn't mean the equipment is going to be available immediately, but at least it's a start, and my understanding is that one of the main holdups with the current SC rollout is the real estate negotiation one site at a time.

ElSupreme, good insight, and I agree that signing the agreement doesn't mean the equipment is going to be available immediately, but at least it's a start, and my understanding is that one of the main holdups with the current SC rollout is the real estate negotiation one site at a time.

Yes, good point ElSupreme...but this type of agreement would certainly let them accelerate where they already want to locate SCs, if not necessarily at every franchise site. Personally I vote for Chipotle, they seem very green and I would rather eat there than McDs!

I wonder if it's going to be something along the lines of "Model S is the best-selling EV in the U.S. in the month of March." Nissan sold 2,236 LEAFs in March; at 500 per month, it's possible that Tesla beat that just by a few units.

I think when we get the numbers in for March we will find that Model S is the best selling full-size luxury sedan in the US in March and for the entire first quarter. That would be something Elon would promote above and beyond any comparisons to LEAF or Volt or etc. which I don't believe he really thinks is the real competition.

I wonder if it's going to be something along the lines of "Model S is the best-selling EV in the U.S. in the month of March." Nissan sold 2,236 LEAFs in March; at 500 per month, it's possible that Tesla beat that just by a few units.

wow, I had no idea than the Nissan Leaf was starting to be successful. I guess that huge price drop *really* helped. It's too bad that I can't even get from my house to work on a single full charge in a Nissan Leaf, let alone round trip. lol

I think the intersection of the sets of people frequenting Walmart and sets of people driving Model S's would probably make that a less than stellar idea...

I think you'd be surprised. Ever heard of "The Millionaire Next Door"? The main premise is that the majority of high net-worth individuals are not actually exceedingly high-salary individuals, but rather average folks who live beneath their means. I think a good portion (~40%, I'd guess) of Model S owners that fit that description.

That said, I don't think today's announcement will involve Walmart, or any other retail/restaurant chain either.

P.S. I count myself among that "good portion" of Model S owners. My last car was a '97 S-10 pickup. Granted, I'd gotten some raises in the last few years, and had set my sights on a Mustang, but I still nearly doubled my budget to accommodate the Model S.

Last edited:
Incase some of the 78 people on this thread are just refreshing and not looking at other activity on the forums, the Tesla website just went down.

Doh! Beat me to it. I was just getting ready to post the same... :) Full page pic of a Model S and the following text:

Tesla Motors will return shortly
Contact our Ownership Experience Team at (888) 518-3752

+1 this is many of us

I think you'd be surprised. Ever heard of "The Millionaire Next Door"? The main premise is that the majority of high net-worth individuals are not actually exceedingly high-salary individuals, but rather average folks who live beneath their means. I think a good portion (~40%, I'd guess) of Model S owners that fit that description.

That said, I don't think today's announcement will involve Walmart, or any other retail/restaurant chain either.