Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla to Offer Turbine Wheels Seen on Model 3 Prototype

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Model 3 is getting new shoes.

You may remember the wheels fitted on the Model 3 prototype unveiled in 2016, 13 spokes in a gunmetal finish that twist into the center hub. Many believe they were the best looking of the early designs, however they have been absent on the production version of the car.

Tesla currently offers the “V-Spoke” or “Sport” wheel design consisting of 10 spokes forming 5 V shapes inside the wheel; and the “Aero” wheel design, which can help extend the car’s range.

Tesla CEO Elon Musk tweeted the good news Tuesday that the “Wind Turbine” wheel design will be available as an upgrade later this year.

Which wheels do you like best?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: colinrego and F_T_K
If the price is right, I may order these wheels in 18", use them as my summer wheels with my stock 18" tires, and use my Aero wheels with winter tires.
Highly doubtful they will be available in anything less than 20", maybe 19". The current 20" wheel/tire package on the online shop for the 3 is $4000, so I'm sure these won't be much different in cost, possibly more as they seem harder to manufacture.

Last edited:
I suggested that Tesla offer a third wheel option several weeks ago. I suggest that the turbines be in 18" at zero to minimal additional cost. We have sport wheels on our 3 and love them, but Tesla should offer a low to no cost option to aero which can be polarizing. The car is incredible and will still be so w/o EAP, long range battery, glass roof, premium package and even with manual seats. They need to get the 35K out there. We have a second reservation. I would only get EAP and white. Even if it were a little slower, gave up glass roof and some range, it will still be an amazing bargain. Really the only time you need much over 250 miles range is for travel. For commuting 250 lets you skip charging a day or two for most people.

I suggested that Tesla offer a third wheel option several weeks ago. I suggest that the turbines be in 18" at zero to minimal additional cost. We have sport wheels on our 3 and love them, but Tesla should offer a low to no cost option to aero which can be polarizing. The car is incredible and will still be so w/o EAP, long range battery, glass roof, premium package and even with manual seats. They need to get the 35K out there. We have a second reservation. I would only get EAP and white. Even if it were a little slower, gave up glass roof and some range, it will still be an amazing bargain. Really the only time you need much over 250 miles range is for travel. For commuting 250 lets you skip charging a day or two for most people.

There is a 18" alternative to the the aeros. Just remove the plastic covers, it costs nothing!

• Funny
Reactions: Revelation