Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla took away 400kWh annual charging credits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TLDR: I was on the 400kWh annual plan for over a year and Tesla decided to remove that from my account at the first January 2020. I suppose they changed their policy but it seems they shouldn't retroactively apply that decision when it goes against previous statements people rely upon to buy their products.

Yea, Its not that big of a deal I guess but it just feels like a bait and switch.

I bought my 2017 Model X at the end of December of 2018. It originally came with unlimited supercharging so I understand that doesn't transfer, fine, at the time they were offering 400kWh to all owners of S and X. The policy seems clear from their website at the time Supercharging
ill copy the relevant part:

As a Model S or X owner, if I don't use my 400 kWh of annual credits will they roll over to the next year?
Unused credits do not roll over to the next year. Credits are reset to 400 kWh each year, on the anniversary of the delivery date. If the car transfers ownership, credits are reset on the date of the transfer. (emphasis mine)

It seems pretty clear that If the car transfers ownership that the credits would continue as of the date of transfer.

This statement coupled with the fact that that's exactly what happened on my account tells me that was the policy. For the last year I was never billed for supercharging and there was a 400kWh balance that was reduced as I used it.

I have contacted Tesla to try to resolve this. I first reached out on January 4, 2020 and just got a response today. Basically they told me the new policy is that nothing is transferrable anymore and after a few back and forth messages there was nothing they can do..

Love my X but the customer support is lacking.

Anybody else have this issue?

i had a similar issue -- they took away my 400kwh as well. i assumed a lease from another person 2 years ago and at that time they didn't transfer the FUSC and gave me 400kwh instead. fine, ok, whatever. i rarely supercharge but when i finally did a few months ago, it charged me for it and i wondered where was the 400kwh and when i logged in, it had disappeared.

i contacted them and they said that it "expired". i wasted so much time trying to talk to them over $12 so i just let it go. they wouldn't even waive the $12. but i agree, the customer service and support is really lacking!

Reactions: BulldogsRus
Did you buy the car directly from Tesla or from a 3rd party?

If bought from Tesla directly (CPO) they do not transfer SC. If bought from a 3rd party and the car did not go through CPO, then the car should have the SC.

I purchased from 3rd party dealership. Clearly they just changed their mind to save some money but the question is will bad service cost them more in the long run?

tesla is just about the only game in town for this kind of car.

once competition actually exists, we'll have more leverage.

comp is about 5 years or less, away. lots of companies are developing e-cars and those that don't do the hard software in-house will just buy it.

tesla must know this, too. its a shame they are ruining their rep with all the petty-ness. nickle and diming people is not befitting of a company like tesla. I wonder who is really running the show, these days?

I purchased from 3rd party dealership. Clearly they just changed their mind to save some money but the question is will bad service cost them more in the long run?

The dealer probably purchased the car from a Tesla auction, not from an individual. Consistent with their past actions, the car would not have any Supercharger credits. If the dealer said it did have credits, he misrepresented the car (surprise, surprise).

The Supercharger credits were a sales promotion gimmick for new cars, not used cars.

The dealer probably purchased the car from a Tesla auction, not from an individual. Consistent with their past actions, the car would not have any Supercharger credits. If the dealer said it did have credits, he misrepresented the car (surprise, surprise).

The Supercharger credits were a sales promotion gimmick for new cars, not used cars.

i actually had credits for over a year so they must have made a policy change retroactive.

Unfortunately, I’m in the same boat. Purchased from a dealer 2017 MX 100D. It was trade from a previous owner and they provided the info who traded it in as well to ensure all the options were represented as they stated. Original owner had FUSC which didn’t transfer as soon as my MX got under my Tesla account. All I saw was 400kWh annual credits which I was a tough pill to swallow. But as of few months back, those 400kWh credits are no where to be found and has been replaced with “per-per-usage”. Has anyone been able to get this issue resolved or it’s time to blast a series of tweets to Elon to make it right, which he has often followed through. It’s a matter of principal over anything else. TIA.

A car that originally had the 400kWh/year credit would transfer that with an owner change. I don't think that cars that had non-transferable FUSC were suppose to get switched to the 400kWh/year credit plan upon sale. They go to a pay-per-use plan.

Reactions: doghousePVD