Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free supercharging transfer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw some threads about this from US posters, but I just got a call from Tesla Gatwick offering to transfer free supercharging to a new vehicle.

Thank you for taking my call. To confirm, a trade-in is not necessary, providing the vehicle with the free supercharging is still in your possession, we can simply transfer the free supercharging from one vehicle to the other.

For limited time, we are offering our Model X and Model S customers the opportunity to transfer their lifetime free Supercharging over to a new vehicle.

We are offering an overnight experience with a Model Y, for our customers who would like to take advantage of this incentive.

To book your test drive, please let me know your preferred time and date or alternatively, you can book through the following link. https://www.tesla.com/en_gb/tradein

Please let me know if you would like to find out more and I will be happy to give you a call.

For a trade-in estimate on your current vehicle, please follow this link. https://www.tesla.com/en_gb/tradein

I'm not keen on a MYP with no ultrasonics, no radar, no premium connectivity, and ChuckleVision, but this is the first time I've even thought about a new Tesla in the best part of a year. It would be nice to have a warranty again...

• Funny
Reactions: davidmc and spdpsba
Besides what's in your signature, (USS/radar/premium), would you effectively 'downgrade' a MX to a MY just for the warranty provided you can keep the free SC?
No regrets over losing the air suspension, (extra seats?) and gullwings?
Especially if an MY Juniper arrives later in 2024...

No regrets over losing the air suspension, (extra seats?) and gullwings?
Hmm, I hadn't thought about the suspension. My eldest is now 14 and would rather be seen dead than getting out of the falcon-wing doors. They're kinda fun and cool, but a bit of a pain in the arse when you want to get going quickly or someone presses a button when they shouldn't have. When we got the MX in '17, we thought we'd be driving grandparents around with us, but that rarely happened. I'd rather have a tow hitch, as I'm supposed to be working on a barn conversion.

Especially if an MY Juniper arrives later in 2024...
I've not been keeping up to date with the gossip. Is this the MY equivalent of the M3 Highlander or whatever it was called?

Is this the MY equivalent of the M3 Highlander or whatever it was called?
Essentially yes. There has been a minor update to the Chinese market MY with the removal of the wood trim and replaced with an LED light bar, and we would expect other countries that are supplied by China to start getting that at some point, but there are no signs of the major Juniper update yet.

Tesla are offering an overnight test drive thingy, so I might give that a go out of curiosity if nothing else. It's been so long since I seriously considered the MYP that I'm not sure what things I'd miss about the MX. I'm sure there'd be some.

Interesting, FSD transfer a few months back, supercharging transfer now. Be nice if this was a shift in Tesla's way of thinking and it happened a bit more often in the future. Would certainly help persuade me to trade in when my warranty is getting towards the end.

OP's got nothing to lose by test driving a Y. I know the X has got a lot more loaded on it (but also more to go wrong out of warranty?) but if its anything like the difference between the loaner model S I had for a month while my 21 model 3 was in the shop, it'll be a night and day upgrade just thanks to the overall build quality, double glazed windows etc etc.

What’s the trade in value of the MX with and without free supercharging? There must be a difference as unlike FSD this ‘feature’ actually has some value.

About 18 months ago, Tesla message me out of the blue with a trade-in value for our 2017 75D X which was essentially the same value as a brand new LR Y AWD - so basically a £0 swap. I think the OP was 'offered' the same?

I suspect now the difference will be £30-40K+, so throwing in SC transfer is very unlikely to persuade anyone to trade in now, if they hadn't done it when the cost was basically £0 a few years ago.

A RHD S/X would be far more effective way for Tesla to get people to trade in their legacy S/Xs.

It's been so long since I seriously considered the MYP that I'm not sure what things I'd miss about the MX

We have a MS Raven and an (early to UK) MY.

We unconditionally take the MS on all long journeys. Far more comfortable, and more "roomy", MS has more range (but that may not be true of a current MY, nor an old MX). The MY gets used for all local journeys - not sure why, mostly because we regard it as the "local journey car" I expect, but probably some things like "smaller" (easier to park etc.)

A RHD S/X would be far more effective way for Tesla to get people to trade in their legacy S/Xs.

I'm in :)

• Informative
Reactions: DeejUK
I guess Tesla runs a profiting business NOT a charity

Indeed. I think the only reason to offer Transfer of Supercharging is either a demand lever (to sell a particular model) or, perhaps, because older MS / MX charge more slowly, so hog-stalls - particularly for those owners that use free supercharging to charge their cars - they value their time at Nought sitting there waiting for charging to finish rather than getting a cheap overnight Octopus rate and just plugging in :) Notwithstanding folk who don't have off-road parking etc.

It was a while back, but I remember someone on here making a case for MS purchase based solely on the massive number of business miles he did, and using free supercharging as "fuel", which he reckoned would then balance the books for the extra monthly finance cost of an MS vs a travelling-salesman bog-standard Vauxhall!

I assume the FSD transfer offer has expired and it’s just the free supercharger transfer on offer or is it both?
I don't know, I thankfully never got FSD. They only mentioned supercharging on the phone to me. If I speak to them again, I can ask.
The MY gets used for all local journeys - not sure why, mostly because we regard it as the "local journey car"
Ha, ours is our 2013 Renault Zoe that now does about 60 miles on a full charge and in which the heating does not work. Not fun for the school run at this time of year, I can tell you! It is however 50% for efficient than the Model X.
because older MS / MX charge more slowly
Is it by a lot? Mine tops out at about 150kW. What do newer M3/MYs do? Again, all Tesla knowledge has vacated my brain this year, so apologies for newbie-style questions.

Reactions: SR-Plus
Indeed. I think the only reason to offer Transfer of Supercharging is either a demand lever (to sell a particular model) or, perhaps, because older MS / MX charge more slowly, so hog-stalls - particularly for those owners that use free supercharging to charge their cars - they value their time at Nought sitting there waiting for charging to finish rather than getting a cheap overnight Octopus rate and just plugging in :) Notwithstanding folk who don't have off-road parking etc.

It was a while back, but I remember someone on here making a case for MS purchase based solely on the massive number of business miles he did, and using free supercharging as "fuel", which he reckoned would then balance the books for the extra monthly finance cost of an MS vs a travelling-salesman bog-standard Vauxhall!
Nah, it's a low cost incentive to people that haven't been tempted so far and aren't going to have an equivalent option. Better to sell them a Y than they go to another brand.

Looks like it's working.

KIA EV9 looks like a great Model X replacement for people that want a 6 or 7 seater minibus.