Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla toolbox issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've upgraded the OS and security, but Ziply Fiber screwed me on internet access. I'm still tethering to phone for laptop but LAN is inaccesible. The wiki should be back up this weekend hopefully, as I get time.

I'm about to leave this forum, but the wiki will remain up for a good while.
You are one of the most knowledgeable person on the forum & willing to help everyone.This forum will miss you

Just curious are you switching to different forums or any other place you might be active?

If desired, I can help you host this on IPFS.

Sad to see you go @rooter . Thanks for all the resources. Hope to see you around from time to time.
Hey! I am from Minsk, I bought a 2014 tesla model s on Copart (September is the month of production). The car is still sailing to me, but already now I am thinking about some questions, because most likely I will need to put a new headlight (from disassembly, but in good condition, since it is almost impossible to buy a new one), a fog lamp and an air conditioner radiator. Can you please tell me, in what way can I independently tie new parts into the software so that everything works as it should? Getting root rights will help in this matter? I also want to download European navigation. Can you share any useful information? If anything, then it is not a problem for me to disassemble the salon and connect to the lan cable

Manual will not be of much help to you. You are in luck though, as I just retrofit a radar onto my Tesla Vision car and can provide more info than the manual can.

If this is a new radar that you installed, you will need to run a service redeploy. You can do this in service mode or service mode plus on the screen, or by calling /service-redeploy on the updater service. This will include redeploying to CAN ECUs like the RADC (radar).

If this is a new radar and it has been sitting in the car for hours+, you should pull the 12V and penthouse power for 2 minutes to let the radar reset itself (it will send garbage data and not work if left on and uncalibrated for a while)

After redeploy, you will need to calibrate/align the radar. Ensure wheels are straight and vehicle is on a flat surface. You will need a toolbox token (or root) to run the following ODIN commands:
PROC_RADC_X_PLANT-MODE (Only for new radars / replacements)
PROC_RADC_X_ALIGNMENT-PLATE-REFLECTOR (optional? Good to do if you replaced the radar in case the bracket shifted at all)
PROC_RADC_X_SERVICE-RADAR-ALIGNMENT (Drive the car for 5 minutes around town after you start this; it will complete with PASS or FAIL status depending on if it worked and the values were acceptable to the car)

That should be it! I did another service redeploy afterwards for good measure, but I don't think its necessary.

First, thank you for providing this information. I see you too wanted Radar in your vision only car.

The above implies that the car already has had radar installed. What ODIN commands are required to inform the car that Radar should be working on it? I do not intend on rooting, I would like to go through toolbox to do this. I also assume that the command would persist shutdown / and update (but I understand that you may not know if that is the case or not).

If you had a guide, or a post about this, I checked the site referenced in your profile and posts here and I didn't see it. If it isn't something you want public, a PM would be appreciated.

Hi @BoNosAll
Manual will not be of much help to you. You are in luck though, as I just retrofit a radar onto my Tesla Vision car and can provide more info than the manual can.

If this is a new radar that you installed, you will need to run a service redeploy. You can do this in service mode or service mode plus on the screen, or by calling /service-redeploy on the updater service. This will include redeploying to CAN ECUs like the RADC (radar).

If this is a new radar and it has been sitting in the car for hours+, you should pull the 12V and penthouse power for 2 minutes to let the radar reset itself (it will send garbage data and not work if left on and uncalibrated for a while)

After redeploy, you will need to calibrate/align the radar. Ensure wheels are straight and vehicle is on a flat surface. You will need a toolbox token (or root) to run the following ODIN commands:
PROC_RADC_X_ALIGNMENT-PLATE-REFLECTOR (optional? Good to do if you replaced the radar in case the bracket shifted at all)
PROC_RADC_X_SERVICE-RADAR-ALIGNMENT (Drive the car for 5 minutes around town after you start this; it will complete with PASS or FAIL status depending on if it worked and the values were acceptable to the car)

That should be it! I did another service redeploy afterwards for good measure, but I don't think its necessary.
@YieldFarmer thanks for this useful information. I'm about to pay for the 24h toolbox access to calibrate my 2017 modelS radar. Last time Service Center charged me 500$ for radar calibration (they did not touch the radar physically at all) for something that can be done with toolbox in minutes i believe.

In my case, since I'm not moving/touching the radar at all, should i only execute PROC_RADC_X_SERVICE-RADAR-ALIGNMENT ? Do you know if this feature works with toolbox3 with model S ? I heard that many features with toolbox are not working nowadays.

First, thank you for providing this information. I see you too wanted Radar in your vision only car.

The above implies that the car already has had radar installed. What ODIN commands are required to inform the car that Radar should be working on it? I do not intend on rooting, I would like to go through toolbox to do this. I also assume that the command would persist shutdown / and update (but I understand that you may not know if that is the case or not).

If you had a guide, or a post about this, I checked the site referenced in your profile and posts here and I didn't see it. If it isn't something you want public, a PM would be appreciated.
Radar on the vision cars is like night and day (when not running FSD beta)

The above does imply the radar was already installed - I put a radar in and then looked for months how to enable it haha.

The ODIN command just issues a gateway change; that is what tells the car to use the radar. The ODIN command to inform the car of the radar should be SET VEHICLE CONFIG or something like that, but in my experience Tesla will not make this change for you (and you cannot run this yourself with toolbox you buy).

@YieldFarmer thanks for this useful information. I'm about to pay for the 24h toolbox access to calibrate my 2017 modelS radar. Last time Service Center charged me 500$ for radar calibration (they did not touch the radar physically at all) for something that can be done with toolbox in minutes i believe.
Well, it is minutes if the radar and bracket are actually aligned properly. If they are misaligned too much, they/you need to remove the bumper and adjust the radar position. So it can be longer than a few minutes. Though either way $500 seems overpriced to me

In my case, since I'm not moving/touching the radar at all, should i only execute PROC_RADC_X_SERVICE-RADAR-ALIGNMENT ? Do you know if this feature works with toolbox3 with model S ? I heard that many features with toolbox are not working nowadays.
I do not really know about model S/X. It may also depend if you are on MCU1/MCU2. I imagine there is some task that allows you to calibrate it that is available to you though.

Hi @BoNosAll

I followed these steps precisely for my 2018 LR Model 3 after I had to replace the radar, but the service radar driving calibration fails every attempt. Is there a secret to getting it to succeed?

PM me for bearer token access. 24h
I’m having a similar issue with a model x wondering if you can help me out?

I have the manual if you need details on how to do this. Probably shouldnt just post it out in the open though

Greetings, Im about to purchase "1 hour" (100$+) of "Toolbox 2/3" in the near future, to learn more about Tesla vehicles and their diagnostics.
By now I "gathered" 3 friends with a Tesla (Model 2, S and 3). Those would also love to know more and allow me to work on their vehicles. :)

Stumbling across this thread, I would also like to ask if it would be possible to send me the manual, so I can read deeply into this, before a purchase.

Regards,
Stephen