Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Trade-In offer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a Performance Y on May 11th and submitted my 2020 LR AWD for a trade-in evaluation. I know it’s only been 5 days but how long does it typically take for Tesla to get back to you. Then a follow up question. Since my delivery could be Sept or beyond how long is the offer good for, how does that work given Tesla’s constantly changing EDD’s.

BTW I did tender my my Y to CarGuru and they came back at $61,866. I don’t expect Tesla to come close but given the tax advantage and the need to keep a car until the new one is delivered a trade would also avoid the added cost of a rental. By my calculations if Tesla can get close $56K I’m about even.

Thanks

You'll probably be hearing back from them anytime now. It usually takes about 5 days for me, which rolls into your second question. I have a lot of experience with the trade-in evaluations because their offers are only good for 30 days, meaning you will need to get a new evaluation with updated mileage every month until you take delivery. The good news is that offers sometimes go up. Mine jumped $7k about a month ago, and was just reaffirmed.

I doubt CarGuru's offer will be beat by Tesla, but I'd say their offer is fair. My 2020 M3SR+ is essentially being traded in for what I paid for it two years ago.

You'll probably be hearing back from them anytime now. It usually takes about 5 days for me, which rolls into your second question. I have a lot of experience with the trade-in evaluations because their offers are only good for 30 days, meaning you will need to get a new evaluation with updated mileage every month until you take delivery. The good news is that offers sometimes go up. Mine jumped $7k about a month ago, and was just reaffirmed.

I doubt CarGuru's offer will be beat by Tesla, but I'd say their offer is fair. My 2020 M3SR+ is essentially being traded in for what I paid for it two years ago.
Did you get opinions from Carmax, KBB or Carvana? Do you know which place is offering the best value for your vehicle?

Tesla beat all of the online sources by a few thousand for my 2020 Model X. Also paid me 10k over what I paid for it. Traded for a Model Y and in TX we only pay sales tax on difference between trade in and purchase price. In my case trade in was more than purchase price do I will pay zero sales tax. Around another 5k saved.

Tesla must do much better on trade-ins of Tesla vehicles than they do on Non Tesla trade-ins. I inquired about trading in my Lexus RX when I was purchasing my MYP this month. Their offer was quite a bit lower than what I ended up selling it for to another new car dealer (not Lexus). The price I received was within about $2k of the KBB estimate (which was the highest of KBB, Carmax and Carvana).

Did you get opinions from Carmax, KBB or Carvana? Do you know which place is offering the best value for your vehicle?
I'm a bit of an edge-case since I'm in Hawaii. I don't have those other options available to me. But I can say that Tesla's final offer was about $10k more than their initial offer 6 months ago.

I have no evidence of this, but I suspect they just use an algorithm to value trade-ins based on the market and the limited data they gather.

Tesla must do much better on trade-ins of Tesla vehicles than they do on Non Tesla trade-ins. I inquired about trading in my Lexus RX when I was purchasing my MYP this month. Their offer was quite a bit lower than what I ended up selling it for to another new car dealer (not Lexus). The price I received was within about $2k of the KBB estimate (which was the highest of KBB, Carmax and Carvana).
I thought the same thing but was told when I was trading in that Tesla sends everything they get on trade to auction. They seem to have a pretty good sized pre-owed inventory though so I don't know where those cars come from. Maybe previously leased vehicles end up in inventory.

Reactions: Luvtoride
Tesla beat all of the online sources by a few thousand for my 2020 Model X. Also paid me 10k over what I paid for it. Traded for a Model Y and in TX we only pay sales tax on difference between trade in and purchase price. In my case trade in was more than purchase price do I will pay zero sales tax. Around another 5k saved.
Mind sharing how it Tesla offered? You can PM me if you want to keep it private. Just trying to see what Tesla been offering people since my friend offering to sell me his MXLR at what Tesla offers him.

How long ago did you do this? I have the same model RX that I will be trading in, KBB says $50k-53k but carava says $44k and Carmax $50k. I’m not sure what Tesla will offer yet. Im not sure why carvana is so low! Does Tesla use KBB value, do you know?

My MYP appointment was today at 1230. I got a text at 1030 saying the car wasn't in yet and the pickup is rescheduled for tomorrow. Around 5 PM I got a call saying it was in and I could pick it up. It looked very good and it'll get a good check in the morning. I traded a 2020 MYLR with 19k miles. Blue with black interior (same as the new one). Got prices from Carvana (59.6). Carmax (61.0), webuyanycar (60.0), Cargurus (62.1), and Tesla (57.1). The Tesla trade-in means $3,300 sales tax savings so that brings it to 60.4. I did the trade-in as it avoids a short term loan and later title changes. The MYLR is in excellent condition and has been a wonderful car. I'm only replacing it because it isn't going to cost much. It's pretty nice to buy a car, drive it for two years, and then get more than you paid for it. The only service expense has been a tire rotation at 16,000 miles. Energy costs have been a little over $600 for 19,200 miles. This one will get a front end PPF and full car ceramic coating. The MYP has Perelli tires and the charging kit. The Fort Myers service center was outstanding.

How long ago did you do this? I have the same model RX that I will be trading in, KBB says $50k-53k but carava says $44k and Carmax $50k. I’m not sure what Tesla will offer yet. Im not sure why carvana is so low! Does Tesla use KBB value, do you know?
HH, it was 3 weeks ago. KBB gave my car a “value” of $39k for my car. Tesla offered $34.2k sight unseen. I sold it to a MB dealer for $37k which was one of the KBB dealers recommended and which I thought was fair.

I ordered a Performance Y on May 11th and submitted my 2020 LR AWD for a trade-in evaluation. I know it’s only been 5 days but how long does it typically take for Tesla to get back to you. Then a follow up question. Since my delivery could be Sept or beyond how long is the offer good for, how does that work given Tesla’s constantly changing EDD’s.

BTW I did tender my my Y to CarGuru and they came back at $61,866. I don’t expect Tesla to come close but given the tax advantage and the need to keep a car until the new one is delivered a trade would also avoid the added cost of a rental. By my calculations if Tesla can get close $56K I’m about even.

Thanks
I ordered a M3 Performance today. I have a M3 LR that I bought brand new in March and have had nothing but issues. It took a couple hours for them to give me a trade in amt with the LR. I submitted the photos this am and have heard nothing BUT…I just got a call from some stranger asking me what I was looking to get for my car as he seen it was for sale. I’m like well no it’s not for sale right now, where did you find this?? He’s like online but I can’t find it. So is Tesla listing our cars to see what they can get before giving us a trade in value? Super sketchy if you ask me. They should not be giving out person info.

Took delivery in May of MYLR (Blue, 20" wheels). Decided to order the performance... Carmax offered me 70k and Tesla 61K. I still waiting and reassess when I get a vin. I have put 2k miles on it since i took delivery.. deciding if I should sell it privately...

Thanks
How many miles do you have on your model y? I'm 2021 blue with white Andi didn't get much more than your offer. I'm at 29k miles.

Took delivery in May of MYLR (Blue, 20" wheels). Decided to order the performance... Carmax offered me 70k and Tesla 61K. I still waiting and reassess when I get a vin. I have put 2k miles on it since i took delivery.. deciding if I should sell it privately...
Wow…take the offer and get the car you want! It is crazy how much over MSRP purchasers and resellers like Carmax are willing to pay. Not sure if it’s worth trying to sell it privately to make the extra “profit”. Let us know what you decide!