Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Trade-In Question (Title holder not available in-person)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am picking up a new Model Y soon with a trade-in. The car I am trading in is registered under my Dad (who lives in a different state). Are there options for my dad to sign the forms electronically? Or does he have to be in-person.

where is the title? i think the tesla app specifically states that the title holder has to be in person. the title holder is the legal owner of the car.

otherwise, that could easily be construed as fraud, trying to selling a car you do not own

when i traded in my car, i had to sign over the title and my name had to match what was on the title.

You should ask Tesla directly how they would want it handled. Title clerks at most dealerships are rock stars who know how to do about anything and have probably seen everything. But Tesla may not have those rock stars, so they limit transactions to a basic box. (Carvana, for example, has morons for title clerks.)

I am picking up a new Model Y soon with a trade-in. The car I am trading in is registered under my Dad (who lives in a different state). Are there options for my dad to sign the forms electronically? Or does he have to be in-person.
What ended up happening? Another option is have your dad formally sell the car to you, then you’d legally own the car and the title transfers to you, and then you’d go to Tesla and transfer to them.

Probably takes a lot longer, but it’s an option and it’s all on the “up and up”

A limited power of attorney would allow you to sell the vehicle to Tesla. Otherwise you can't trade in the car because you don't legally own it.
I've sold two cars that I've owned using an agent (once spouse and once a good friend) while I wasn't even in the country.

Search for how your dad can take out a special power of attorney. There are sites out there on the interwebs that can help (legalzoom comes to mind but I haven't used them).

S-POAs are relatively cheap.

What ended up happening? Another option is have your dad formally sell the car to you, then you’d legally own the car and the title transfers to you, and then you’d go to Tesla and transfer to them.

Probably takes a lot longer, but it’s an option and it’s all on the “up and up”
Have your dad gift the car to you. Go the the DMV with the title and have a new title issued to you. That is what I did.

Tesla said had to have title holder in person for the trade in car. Didn’t want my dad to travel this weekend just for this, will sell the car another time. They are pretty strict with the policy. Getting POA on holiday weekend, have DMV transfer would be a pain during the holiday weekend so didn’t proceed that way.

Reactions: uicandrew