Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla trade-in value on their own car brand Tesla? higher value or no?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I got in to the Tesla ecosystem does anyone know if their trade values are higher for their own brand? I was shocked how terrible my lexus(10k under kbb) and bmw(20k under kbb) value was. The lexus was a 2013 and I wasn't too appalled by that one. But any other normal car dealer will typically give you kbb value.

Interesting. I just traded my ModS to Tesla for a MODX and Tesla gave me a higher trade value than anyone else I checked with though still below KBB value. The consensus was that Tesla values have dropped due to low gas prices and bad economy.

I don’t believe Tesla is actually taking the trades in most cases anyway. When I was attempting to trade a Grand Cherokee for a Model X last year (the sale ultimately reversed because the X was damaged and I refused delivery) I noticed that the paperwork for my trade in stated that I was actually selling the trade to Manheim Auto Auction.

No legacy dealerships go by ebb anymore. Most use auction prices, less their expenses for taking it in and processing the sale.
Tesla uses a similar program.
Wholesalers can often offer more if they are going to put your car on their lot for retail sale.
Legacy dealerships will often quote you a higher trade in value, then make their profit off the sale of one of their cars, financing etc.

Yeah, in my example I had to go used because they offered 30k higher than Tesla, lol. (KBB good condition) which is what I demand for any trade at-least. Their vehicle was also priced appropriately...

If shopping for one of latest Model year's I don't see a good reason to go through Tesla if you are trading in.

If I got in to the Tesla ecosystem does anyone know if their trade values are higher for their own brand? I was shocked how terrible my lexus(10k under kbb) and bmw(20k under kbb) value was. The lexus was a 2013 and I wasn't too appalled by that one. But any other normal car dealer will typically give you kbb value.
We traded our 2006 Lexus RX 400h with 150k miles for a brand new MX. Caravana assessed for 7.5k, We Buy Any Car assessed for almost 8k and KBB near 8k as well. BUT, when they actually came in and assessed the car in real life, these were the results...caravana-3.5k, WeBuyAnyCar-2k, KBB (thru authorized dealership)-2.9k. So we were nervous when we picked up the car at Tesla that it might be lower. But, when we arrived at Tesla, we signed the documents,showed us our new MX and oriented us with the functions, then they asked us to get all our stuff out for the Lexus
then asked to leave the keys in the drop box. The paper work we signed has the 6k deducted in the price. It wasn’t changed since we ordered in late July2019. We picked up the MX late August2019. That was a fast and easy trade. They didn’t even eyeball the Lexus as if it’s worthless to them.

• Informative
Reactions: E Dizzle