Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla traffic and road condition data

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was using the on board navigation last night to route me to a destination when it had me turn left onto a road that is closed for construction. Out of curiosity I looked it up in Google Maps on my iPhone and the road showed as closed on the phone app.

I know Tesla only uses Google for images, so where does Tesla source its data for road closures and traffic? I've never seen the Tesla navigation system recommend an alternate route due to traffic once I started driving, even while Google Maps continually recommends alternate routes mid trip.

Reactions: lottadot and rlb4
Mine has re-routed for traffic conditions on multiple occasions. If I ignore the re-route I usually get caught in traffic.

Well then mine must be not working. I drive with Google maps navigation on my cellphone and it will re-route while my Model 3 navigation continues on the same route. Can you take a picture of the screen so I can see what it looks like when it suggests a re-route?

Well then mine must be not working. I drive with Google maps navigation on my cellphone and it will re-route while my Model 3 navigation continues on the same route. Can you take a picture of the screen so I can see what it looks like when it suggests a re-route?

I have had a few reroutes. It does not show any sort of message. It just changes the route to the new one selected by the navigation system.

If you want to see your system re route, all you need to do is to navigate to someplace you normally go to, but dont go the way it recommends at the beginning of the trip. Navigate to work, but take a different road. The system will re route you to get to the destination you choose.

Now, as to the "re route because of traffic" question, I dont know. I know on my (wifes) 2019 BMW, the navigation will not re route unless the new route saves you more than a specific set of minutes.... I think its 5 but not 100% sure. I imagine that the tesla nav is similar. I know that when I navigate home from work every day, if traffic is bad on the freeway (which it normally is) it recommends I drive the back road I normally drive anyway. Sometimes, however, it recommends the freeway as if there is no traffic, thats faster. I always drive the back road anyway, so watch it re route. It doesnt say anything, nor does it ask for confirmation, it just changes.

Mine will re-route if I deviate from its route. I just have never seen it re-route ln the fly if there is traffic on the route and there is now a faster alternative. Basically like Google maps navigation does. I have it set to re-route if 1 minute is saved. It never has. I know because I usually run Google navigation on my cellphone at the same time.

Very good question and I agree with the concerns of the original post.
My Tesla GPS NEVER has traffic information either. It just leads me down the most direct route.
I started using my generic Android maps App on my phone at the same time. It gives me live traffic info, and you can see where the traffic jams are. Other than mapping out the Superchargers the Tesla GPS has been worthless to me. It only reroutes if I miss a turn.

Very good question and I agree with the concerns of the original post.
My Tesla GPS NEVER has traffic information either. It just leads me down the most direct route.
I started using my generic Android maps App on my phone at the same time. It gives me live traffic info, and you can see where the traffic jams are. Other than mapping out the Superchargers the Tesla GPS has been worthless to me. It only reroutes if I miss a turn.
Completly wrong I never suck on a traffic jam or accident with my Tesla is re route automatically BUT you have to specify the maximum time/gain you want on the TAB Navigation of the settings of your Tesla.

Completly wrong I never suck on a traffic jam or accident with my Tesla is re route automatically BUT you have to specify the maximum time/gain you want on the TAB Navigation of the settings of your Tesla.

Mine shows traffic and does initially choose the fastest route but it never re-routes to a faster route during the trip. And I have mine set to 1 minute for time savings.

Tesla has given me a few bad routes over the past week. It continues to try to navigate me an extra mile out of the way down a road that is closed for construction for no apparent reason. I’ve gone back to using my Iphone for navigation. Pretty disappointing.

Mine shows traffic and does initially choose the fastest route but it never re-routes to a faster route during the trip. And I have mine set to 1 minute for time savings.

Mine does the same. If you cancel and re-navigate it will update with a new faster route, but will never re-route on the fly due to traffic conditions. I've set mine to 5 minutes, 2 minutes, 1 minute. Just doesn't do anything.

I almost wonder if there is some regional difference in how Tesla chooses routing. People claim Tesla does its own routing with the onboard maps (and presumably Google's traffic data), but I'm pretty sure mine uses Google to get the route. As traffic conditions change I'll monitor the route using Google Maps on my phone. The Tesla route never changes unless I cancel and choose my destination again, at which time it *always* matches Google's new suggested route. Even when Google is using an uncommon routing. Makes me wonder if the reason for the lack of traffic re-routing is because Tesla doesn't want to keep paying Google for additional route requests after their whole pricing structure went through the roof.

Mine does the same. If you cancel and re-navigate it will update with a new faster route, but will never re-route on the fly due to traffic conditions. I've set mine to 5 minutes, 2 minutes, 1 minute. Just doesn't do anything.

I almost wonder if there is some regional difference in how Tesla chooses routing. People claim Tesla does its own routing with the onboard maps (and presumably Google's traffic data), but I'm pretty sure mine uses Google to get the route. As traffic conditions change I'll monitor the route using Google Maps on my phone. The Tesla route never changes unless I cancel and choose my destination again, at which time it *always* matches Google's new suggested route. Even when Google is using an uncommon routing. Makes me wonder if the reason for the lack of traffic re-routing is because Tesla doesn't want to keep paying Google for additional route requests after their whole pricing structure went through the roof.

^ This is EXACTLY how mine behaves.

Twice, I've turned on Nav coming home form the theater at night and had the Tesla tell me to take a different freeway home. Both times I ignored it since I know the fastest way home (I was using Nav just to navigate the surface streets to the highway). Both times, I was cought in construction/traffic and took significantly longer to get home than if I had followed the in-car nav.

Also, this summer we were driving from Tennesee to Ohio on with some accidents on I-75. The in-car Nav suggested a couple detours and it agreed with my wife using Google maps on her phone and a passenger in the back seat using Waze. Once it re-routed on the fly as it had suggested a detour, but by the time we got to the exit the detour was so backed up it was faster just to stay on I75. Again, google Maps and Waze agreed with the in-car recommendation. (As a side note, I hate I75 through Tennessee/Kentucky...)