Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Trip Planner - Home?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a quick question - when using the navigation on Tesla:
Say you input in a location - do you also have to put in your home address to see if you will have enough energy to get back? or does it tell you, that if you go to this place - you will need to charge?

My thing is - if i am going on a trip that does not have a charging spot (supercharger or destination) what am i suppose to do? how do i get back home?

The trip calculation is from your present location to the destination you put into your Nav, be that your home or some other place.

Tesla Nav does not have waypoints like most other Nav systems do -- in other words, you can't do a "round trip" in Tesla's Nav like I suspect you want to do. I suggest if you are going to a new location, before you leave, you use EVTripPlanner.com to figure out your route and where charging will likely be necessary -- e.g. Run one trip to your destination, then another trip from that destination back to your home. EVTripPlanner will take into account elevation changes, and interior/exterior temperatures as you I out them, but not if you have a heavier foot than you estimate in the tool.

• Funny
Reactions: Snerruc
Just a quick question - when using the navigation on Tesla:
Say you input in a location - do you also have to put in your home address to see if you will have enough energy to get back? or does it tell you, that if you go to this place - you will need to charge?
As BertL says, there's no waypoints yet in the Nav system, but they do give you a round trip energy estimate. Enter in your destination, and then press at the very bottom of the navigation instructions pane (where it shows you estimated time, distance, etc.) and it will show you the estimated round trip energy. I use this all the time.

Of course if you decide to let the Nav find you a Starbucks along the way you'll lose the data for that trip (it will take you "round trip" only from where it is activated, ie. back to the Starbucks).

My thing is - if i am going on a trip that does not have a charging spot (supercharger or destination) what am i suppose to do? how do i get back home?
That brings up the possibility of a new variable, "vampire drain" ... if you're not coming right back, then you'll need to factor this in, too.