Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As we get closer to what will most likely be some game changing engineering announcements and demonstrations it is important to understand a bit more on how Tesla is able to pull this off and how it relates to investing. Realize what they will most likely discuss is nearly a decade in the making with regards to the spark of an idea to a working prototype to a fully viable production line and a clear line of sight roadmap of innovation/evolution.

In short: Tesla is able to have the vision, attract the talent, ability to hire the right talent, keep the right talent for the right amount of time, advance the right tech, connect that tech throughout the company in ways that foster new tech to spin up that can accelerate existing tech and do it at the speed of daily ECO's (Engineering Change Orders) on the f'ing manufacturing line DAILY!

For another company to even think of catching Tesla they would need to....

Have a management structure and people in place that could think of adopting a vision that is either equal or superior to that of Tesla. For discussion sake, let's say that hypothetically this could happen and if we were to use a company or companies that could possibly come close to that I'd use NIO, Lucid and Rivian.

Next, with the vision in place, you'd need a leader, CEO, CFO, CIO, CTO and lead architects put in place to carry out that vision with near blinding speed. This means an HR department can hire and onboard at a pace that is blinding as you'd need to actually attract talent. This is so very hard unless you have the recognition of Tesla. Any engineer that doesn't hire on at Tesla is most likely going to those other 3 companies or going to Google, Apple, Facebook, Amazon, Microsoft...etc. They are NOT going to a traditional car company where they would stagnate and their resume would be marred. Yeah, that is how it is in tech right now...

Let's say they pass that filter/milestone. Now you have to get financing to compete against Tesla. Raising capital isn't terribly hard these days, but also you most likely won't get as favorable as terms. Again, you are most likely going to lose against Tesla or these other tech leading companies, but lets assume you get some financing and working capital.

Now you are in the game, but the speed at which you move needs to be as fast as Tesla or faster. There is a lot of space in the car industry however, and room for more than just Tesla. We want competition and need competition, but that is just not going to come from traditional car companies, nor can they just buy it as their way of thinking will bleed it dry.

Lucid has the best chance of making it IMHO (Peter is a brilliant engineer, but not sure about being a CEO) and I hope NIO as I really respect what they are doing in China.

NOTE: I didn't even discuss supply chain which is massive and a huge topic in itself

P.S. I think a major reason that Tesla can't be caught is for some of the same principles that Apple hasn't been caught yet. But I'll type more on that later but it involves ASICs and supply chain.

I don’t always feel constant anxiety over my holdings in Tesla. I ultimately, overall, felt good about what I was planning to do. This November election is the only event, not the ups and downs of TSLA, that has always had me worried from the start a few months ago. as we get closer I’m starting to get more and more worried.
I have a lot of stock in another company (Publix, a private company) that I’ve been buying routinely and holding since I was 16. It’s just since July that my anxiety about everything in general is building. I wish I could see the future and know for certain that our world isn’t going to come crashing down at some point after the election. I enjoy investing and want to lose the fear.
No worries though. I’m sure I’ll end up holding it all in the end and everything will be okay after the new year. I seem to always make the right decisions, for the most part. :rolleyes:

Tesla’s well positioned for continued growth and prosperity regardless of the US election outcomes in November. If you believe Dems will focus on clean energy and Republicans on the economy then either outcome could benefit Tesla.

I don’t always feel constant anxiety over my holdings in Tesla. I ultimately, overall, felt good about what I was planning to do. This November election is the only event, not the ups and downs of TSLA, that has always had me worried from the start a few months ago. as we get closer I’m starting to get more and more worried.
I have a lot of stock in another company (Publix, a private company) that I’ve been buying routinely and holding since I was 16. It’s just since July that my anxiety about everything in general is building. I wish I could see the future and know for certain that our world isn’t going to come crashing down at some point after the election. I enjoy investing and want to lose the fear.
No worries though. I’m sure I’ll end up holding it all in the end and everything will be okay after the new year. I seem to always make the right decisions, for the most part. :rolleyes:
Some people fear the election because of the terrible things that will happen if the other side wins per the imagination of the people who write the propaganda that they're fed. One side's propaganda isn't a good source of information on what will happen if the other side wins.

Also, when things go to hell cash is king. You could put some of your assets in cash and perhaps worry less.

Does anyone have (or know somewhere with) ASP (Average Selling Price) by vehicle, per year? Putting together some more projections, hard to find historical ASP as Tesla themselves doesn't often release that data. Even estimates are fine!

Judging by your posts over the last few months I’m wondering whether investing is the right thing for you. Especially in TSLA. It feels like you’re carrying a huge weight on your shoulders. Investing should improve your life, not give you constant anxiety.

My best investments usually do both. If it’s any consolation to the OP, times of great anxiety are times of greatest opportunity.

From the MY forum: New upgrade option as of 9/19

EAP and FSD upgrades available on app - $4k for EAP, $8k for FSD, and $5k for EAP to FSD.

EOQ revenue enhancement or longer term pricing strategy?

My guess is both. Releasing it now helps with EOQ, but also, I'm assuming this will allow people to "taste" what it's like on FSD. Then their EAP purchase will cut their FSD cost down, making it more attractive to just upgrade it. Little easier than 8k all at once, with an all or nothing thought.

P.S. I think a major reason that Tesla can't be caught is for some of the same principles that Apple hasn't been caught yet. But I'll type more on that later but it involves ASICs and supply chain.
Apple was early and got the high ground with design and market leadership. Samsung and Google we’re right there but got the low ground. Despite often out innovating Apple, android phones and Samsung have not been as profitable or had consistent market share (Android has, but under different brands). Tesla has leader advantage and watching the acceleration of their construction of the machines to build the machines, I think it is unlikely anyone will scale up. There will be brands with different appeal and tastes, but the profit and market leader is nearly set already. Watching the line of trucks in Austin yesterday and seeing the pace in Berlin match Shanghai tells me that Elon will continue to accelerate until ICE is gone and Tesla is the global auto and energy leader.

From the MY forum: New upgrade option as of 9/19

EAP and FSD upgrades available on app - $4k for EAP, $8k for FSD, and $5k for EAP to FSD.

EOQ revenue enhancement or longer term pricing strategy?
I think with the rewrite coming, they want to ease people into FSD by splitting it up. Rewrite will most likely increase FSD to 9k or 10k but it's much easier for someone who already have EAP to pay another 5k for it vs 10k. It's just here to trick the mind.

I think with the rewrite coming, they want to ease people into FSD by splitting it up. Rewrite will most likely increase FSD to 9k or 10k but it's much easier for someone who already have EAP to pay another 5k for it vs 10k. It's just here to trick the mind.

Yeah I think this move has a lot do with upcoming FSD features releasing that bring FSD to feature complete and thus, another price increase is coming

Some people fear the election because of the terrible things that will happen if the other side wins per the imagination of the people who write the propaganda that they're fed. One side's propaganda isn't a good source of information on what will happen if the other side wins.

Also, when things go to hell cash is king. You could put some of your assets in cash and perhaps worry less.

Cash is not "King", cash is being printed at an increasing rate. If civilization continues after the election then growth companies like Tesla are the future. If civilization ends, cash will be little bits of paper and vanishing zeros in computers as they fail.

I'm on the side of civilization continuing, mostly by being civil and wanting Humanity to prosper. I'm with Elon that we need to keep human consciousness going into the future, it is the only one that we know exists. Space, beyond LEO, seems be be void of civilization (see Fermi paradox).

There is just no way anybody can catch tesla in terms of the brand appeal for people who want something high tech.
No matter what you say, no matter what ads you run, no matter which websites you bribe, no matter which celebrities you pay to drape themselves over your competing EV, tesla can just say...
"Yup its us, the people who have one of our cars IN SPACE heading towards mars. Fancy a test drive"?
Game
Set
Match.

Tesla won the self-driving car war, they just aren't telling us | I, Cringely
Tesla won the self-driving car war, they just aren’t telling us
I, Cringely / by Robert X. Cringely

Software engineer by trait. I hadn't thought about A/B testing before reading this article, but its probably correct. Once Tesla is fully autonomous, it will be about redundancy, but for now, this is likely the case. I am in the camp that one day Elon will just announce they have solved FSD and with the flip of a switch, they will turn it on.

Found this interesting video of an interview with Dr. Tim Holme (CTO of KCAC / Quantum Scape that Tesla co-founder JB Straubel is on the board of).

For those interested in more of the battery technical side , as well as some interesting tidbits of Jeff Dahn history I wasn't aware of, it's worth a watch. There are also a number of Tesla references, and ie pics of Model S batteries.

I'm about 1/2 way through so far

Wasn’t there a market politics thread? Did it get deleted? If so, can it come back? Agree that this isn’t the place to talk about politics...but we need an outlet...especially now. Thank you!

That thread got deleted and will not come back. It was too toxic. TMC does not have to facilitate political discourse. There are plenty of other sites where politics can be discussed (just don’t forget to wear a hazmat suit).

Haven’t seen anyone else post this yet (apologies if I missed this).

8AB2E466-E805-4E2D-9B4C-E211908FEBDC.png

Looks like energy business is getting to a point that Tesla is now leveraging their car sales pages to pump solar!

Bday is going to be AWESOME!