Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the pundits talk about profit is way over rated, I do think that until Tesla maintains positive free cash flow, it will be easy to manipulate the price and cap any rise. Lack of profit will be mocked, if it happens, but it won’t matter 3 years from now if Tesla can grow unit volume over 50% or more. It’s grown closer to 70% since 2012 and if they maintain 50% for 5 more years they are over 2 million annual production. There doesn’t appear to be serious competition planned, at scale, until 5 years from now either.
Things that will change the landscape for EV’s against Tesla:
  • VW: they continue to talk a big game but do not appear to have batteries for more than 100,000 cars a year before 2021. Their Audi brand at this point is a catalyst for Tesla, showing that EV is the future and the future is happening at Tesla.
  • Toyota: they sound like 2009 Audi. It will be interesting to see if they and Panasonic can ramp up and avoid getting sued by Tesla for IP infringement. If they don’t scale or go 300 miles they again reaffirm Tesla’s lead and assist the brand.
  • China: growth is so big, but only a few brands will be around in 10 years. BYD and Tesla are at the top of this food chain.
There's this point too:
Where Tesla skeptics are misguided
But if your concern instead is the future of the company (still by far the electric car industry leader), you should be querying differently. And that's whether Tesla can endure the costly, developmental Valley of Death it has been crossing for another four or five years
I.e. SP bump right now due to profits is not critical. When the real ICE carnage starts in 4-5 years, then Tesla will reap its rewards.
Btw, the timeline here interestingly matches
The Osborne Effect On The Auto Industry | CleanTechnica

Going back to my popular post (linked above) wrt Chanos using Charley from the WSJ as a mouthpiece - here is another good one that just happened. Looking at the two photos attached below of Twitter posts each of them rushed to make separately and shortly after Tesla issued their production and delivery report - ask yourself this question: what are the chances that they DID NOT interact and communicate with each other somehow via some sort of TSLAq emergency defensive huddle? Or did both just happen to come up with this very obscure and unique thought independent of each other.
Draw your own conclusions.

"No guidance while a factory comes online, sorry."

R&D investments: this too is a real cash expense, it's not a running cost of the business, but an expense invested into future growth products: Autopilot, AI, FSD chip,
Any thoughts on margins for this specific expense as production goes over 100,000 cars per quarter? If pollution credits stay the same in Q2, labor and R&D costs per car should be declining about 25% from Q1. That should put model 3 margins over 20%. With S&X revenue still down, profit seems like a long shot, but cash flow should be about 500 million.

does not pass the sniff test. This shop obviously does a lot of work on a lot of vehicles, including Tesla's. Why would they agree to go along with this "plan"?
why would scotty kilmer's online mechanic/amazon shop channel make video after video trashing tesla?
BSegJYp.png

Any idea why there was so much pressure on the stock to below 235$? Nasdaq went up at the same time and everything was given to close at 240 - 250.
The only thing I have is to drive down the price so Friday they can get the SP closer to Max Pain which sits at 220 last I saw it. They will probably be able to bring that up a bit. If "they" can drop the price another $8-$10 Friday I think it will work out for them.
Capture.JPG

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: UncaNed
why would scotty kilmer's online mechanic/amazon shop channel make video after video trashing tesla?
BSegJYp.png

I just watched some of those videos. What a sell out. Someone is paying him to trash Tesla. It's sad. His points are beyond ridiculous:

Don't buy Tesla because it's expensive!!
Batteries are heavy, buy hydrogen fc instead!!
My friend's model s lost 50% of it's value after 2 years and 35k miles!!!!
Electric cars can't become mainstream because electricity and batteries!!!

OT: Attended a local July 4 parade in Shepherdstown, WV earlier that included about 15 EVs from MD, VA, and WV. We stopped the parade for three Tesla's performing a simultaneous summon in front of a large crowd which actually worked pretty well. Kudos to the MD Volt EV group and Mark and Rick for organizing!

Last edited:
OT: Attended a local July 4 parade in Shepherdstown, WV that included about 15 EVs from MD, VA, and WV. We stopped the parade for three Tesla's performing a simultaneous summon in front of a large crowd which actually worked pretty well. Kudos to the MD Volt EV group and Mark for organizing!
@RFernatt
dude, are you a member of EVADC?
Electric Vehicle Association of Greater Washington, DC | Promoting electric vehicles as an environmental and energy alternative

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Anyone have an idea about how many sales and delivery employees there are at Tesla? Trying to figure out what the total cost of the bonuses would be from reaching those target delivery numbers ($1,200 for sales and $500 for delivery at 66,000 deliveries, and $2,400 for sales and $1,000 for delivery at 69,000 deliveries in North America).

Around 5,000 sales employees according to:

@RobStark
you misunderstood my disagree
If you had posted a picture of Tieninmen Square, 1989, or Russia's May day parades, or N Korea's or even the goose stepping Nazi's at Nuremburg, i would have agreed, but those tanks have _no_ place and the Lincoln memorial is being defiled by the OI
however, this is not the politics discussion forum, is it? eh.

It is a non trading day.

We always go a bit O.T. on non trading days.

And that is not what the "Disagree" button is for.