Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's an awesome idea. Personally, I think Tesla should incorporate it into their app or website. But if they don't, yeah the community should do it. Unfortunately, I don't code or anything, otherwise I would do it. But I would call it TeslaDrive or TeslaTestDrive or something like that.

As Tesla pointed out, only 20% buy in retail. Still, I can understand that some want to actually drive the car and touch it. That's just human nature. But technology can solve that problem without having a retail footprint. Hey, it's the Amazon way, right?
Somewhere earlier today in this thread, one of the posters (sorry I can't remember who and now I can't find it) laid out a very doable way of doing this very thing in coordination with Tesla. If you've got the time, it's worth the search to find it.

Reactions: Antares Nebula
These guys just flat out lie. I got into with Bill Maurer at SA today, when he claimed Tesla was late with the 35K model 3. I cited the Wiki article on Model 3, saying how the original plans were accelerated from 2020, so that technically it is one year earlier. And Bill was like, "If it is on wikipedia, it must be true, right?". These guys just plain lie or obfuscate. I've seen it time and again.

Even the sales ppl at the store were accurate on model e date. They told me March and it is so. Really impressed that they met the deadline. I was expecting sept by the wat it was going.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: neroden and wipster
Can you point me to a url that shows he clearly said 350k-500k Model 3 PLUS 70k-100k Model S/X? If so, I will gladly admit I was totally wrong and stand corrected. And I'm not being argumentative, but I can't find that info - unfortunately, if you do a google search with Musk in it these days, all you get is crap about the SEC and the tweet.

And also, he said "make" in his tweet - that is not run rate. I would say "around" would mean to most people, between 460k and 540k. So, he would have given guidance of the numbers you quoted for producing - NOT a run rate at the end of the year.

I do not have the URL for the original Earnings Call, but on yesterday's conference call at 00:17:10 time stamp Elon has re-iterated it referring back to the Earnings call.

URL: Dropbox - Tesla Call Transcript (2.28.19).pdf

Reactions: Buddyroe
Uptick rule didn’t help the stock in January at all. This is mostly gamblers/longs selling anyway
No. Short volume reported through FINRA sources was 65.83% today. Ihor missed badly today.

Short Volume Total Volume Short Percent
03-01-2019 6,209,480 9,431,892 65.83%

TSLA.shorted.2019-03-01.png

In regard to a Tesla App Store as Musk mentioned on yesterday's CC. This leads to the larger possibility of carOS, and it's worth, similar to iOS or Android. As the cars get more autonomous, passengers/drivers/users will begin to interact with the OS more for media consumption, games, apps, ads, etc. And the cars will eventually have more and bigger screens. Imagine as the car drives by various locations, ads start appearing (okay, I know, but just saying).

This, I believe, is the principal reason Google and Apple are creating autonomous software -- not for the service itself but for the broader value of an internet connected car OS platform. I mean how much will all that screen real estate in future autonomous cars be worth? I think Apple and Google have asked such a question. I'm not sure if Tesla has. And I hope Tesla doesn't just whore themselves out to Apple or someone and become the cheap hardware to, say, Apple's more valuable carOS (like Samsung did with Android). This is why I would be against a partnership with Apple, unless Tesla gets a significant equity stake in that carOS platform.

As a very rough estimate, I would put the value of a successful carOS at anywhere from $100 - 500B, or more, depending on the how much of a market it has captured. And so if you add this to Tesla's other market opportunities, you get something like this:

- Large scale auto manufacturer, selling millions of vehicles a year: 100-200B (comparing to Toyota and VW market cap, and not F and GM which have major systemic problems)
- Tesla Energy: 20-100B (large uncertainty here; have to see how this market develops)
- Tesla autonomous ride hailing service: 200B (note that Waymo is *currently* valued at 170B)
- Tesla carOS (ala Android, iOS, for media consumption, games, apps, ads): 200B

TOTAL: ~ 500B (conservatively). And if you consider 10-20 years in the future, with inflation and population (market) expansion, you can arrive at a theoretical 500 - 1000B market cap, or even more. And there may also be yet unheard of opportunities available to Tesla. These numbers are also inline with Musk's compensation package. JM2C

Electrek reported yesterday very interesting remarks by VW CEO Herbert Diess.
https://electrek.co/2019/02/28/vw-admits-tesla-advantage-protect-gas-car-business/

The Electrek article mentioned VW's stated long range goal for EV production.
"VW plans to manufacture up to 3 million electric vehicles by 2025."

VW plans to manufacture up to 3M "electrified" vehicles by 2025.

Up to 1M BEV and 2M PHEV. They haven't said if they will remain ~15 mile AER types or Volt ~50 mile AER types.

Concerning the price (emphasis mine on tenses, and corrections on the 15/50 thing that I think is the only way it makes sense in context):

Michael Coren: Thanks. I was watching what the biggest changes that were made to the car itself beyond reducing the battery size at this price point. And what was some of the cost savings that you achieved to the manufacturing or operations. [Ed: past tense, aka asking about a fait accompli]

Elon Musk: Ummm. I Think we'd want to get too much into the weeds here. It's hellishly difficult to reduce the cost the car. The way I've described it to a company is really getting a cost - There are 10,000 gross approximation 10,000 [inaudible] parts and processes in making a car. So each one basically cost about $3,50 or thereabouts in order to make the car; and [to] still have enough left over for R&D and overhead that kind of thing we really need to be more like $3,00 on average full of 10000 cost and processes. That means we need to figure out how to get on average 50 cents out of those 10,000. And so I call this a Game of Pennies. It's like a Game of Thrones, but pennies.

It is grammatically ambiguous, to be sure. The first part sure sounds like they were - past tense - at breakeven, before they set out on this "Game of Pennies". But then it's not clear whether he's talking about a still-ongoing process to reach what would be a 14,2% margin, or whether he's "storytelling" and has put himself as the narrator into the mindset they were going through (e.g.: "So, I went into the woods to slay the dragon. And that means first I have to find the sword, and then I need to track down the dragon...")

I think what's going on is that the latter part is an ongoing process. That they're currently somewhere between where they were - where "each one basically cost about $3,50 or thereabouts" - and where they need to be - "more like $3,00 on average". And that the route they've taken - including closing stores and the like - will achieve the stated goal - they think. But until all the numbers are crunched in the end, it's impossible to say that they were correct in their calculations.

This is how I interpret it, at least.

A 14,2% margin on the base version would, BTW, easily support an average automotive margin of 25%. Easily.

Last edited:
EXACTLY! I'm not a rich guy (especially right at this moment, 'cause I'm a TSLA stockholder, but that's another discussion)... new cars are the worst investment there is. The longer you keep and drive one, the less bad the investment, so I hereby present my 20/200 rule - either buy cheap junker cars by the pound and run them into the ground, or only buy new if you really LOVE IT, AND you're gonna drive it for at least 200,000 miles and keep it at least 20 years.

I’ve done it that way for decades. Solid used cars driven into the ground and a couple of brand new I loved also driven into the ground.

The test is going to be if I can actually run this Model 3 (and the Y and pickup that will eventually join it) into the ground - Tesla keeps improving the damn thing!!! It’s like I’m paddling upstream.

Strange that you would close stores to address decreased demand. I’m going to go out on a limb and assume that seeming contradiction wasn’t addressed in the article.

Wait, now I get it. Call on me!
Article under discussion: Tesla: The Master Plan Begins To Unravel - Tesla, Inc. (NASDAQ:TSLA) | Seeking Alpha

I think the narrative is: “Tesla had to introduce the $35k M3 sooner than planned because of a collapse in demand, in a desperate move to stay afloat. Of course they know they can’t make money on the base model M3, as all of us analysts have been saying, so they had to add the rather desperate move of closing stores and eliminating the sales staff to stem the tide of red ink, knowing that it would eventually backfire, but hoping for a miracle before then to save the day.”

HowZ that? Maybe I should submit my resume.

View attachment 382027
Here's the TSLA short percentage of selling graph from volumebot for today's trading. While Ihor Dusaniwsky said that most selling was by longs, he's almost certainly correct when we see doublecheck his work on Monday with his short sight newsletter. What he didn't say, however, was that shorts were manipulating the hell out of TSLA today. Don't believe me? Look at 10:13am when over 157,000 shares traded hands in one minute's time.

The problem the shorts encountered today was that TSLA didn't want to stay much below 295, despite the bad ole wolf huffing and puffing and trying to blow the house down. Longs, today was a max-effort assault by the shorts.

For the week, TSLA gained 8 cents. Personally, I hope the next time I earn 8 cents it's a tad less dramatic than this week.
I would never put any faith in what this guy says. He is just like most of the other market news sources out there: totally unreliable.

Was a bit disappointed in the App/Car OS answer. I don't think you really need 10 million cars out there for it to make sense. To me it makes sense to start giving Apps/Car OS a higher priority once FSD reliability is very close and they're preparing to start submitting it to regulators. I'd imagine that's about 3-4 years away and by then you're talking about maybe 2-3 million cumulative Tesla's on the road. Pretty much once FSD is approved by regulators, I want(and will gladly pay) to use apps, watch media, etc.. while the car is driving me from place to place. That would be a HUGE selling point to people and would drive demand even more.

It is grammatically ambiguous, to be sure. The first part sure sounds like they were - past tense - at breakeven, before they set out on this "Game of Pennies". But then it's not clear whether he's talking about a still-ongoing process to reach what would be a 14,2% margin, or whether he's "storytelling" and has put himself as the narrator into the mindset they were going through (e.g.: "So, I went into the woods to slay the dragon. And that means first I have to find the sword, and then I need to track down the dragon...")

I think what's going on is that the latter part is an ongoing process. That they're currently somewhere between where they were - where "each one basically cost about $3,50 or thereabouts" - and where they need to be - "more like $3,00 on average". And that the route they've taken - including closing stores and the like - will achieve the stated goal in late Q1 or in Q2 - they think. But until all the numbers are crunched in the end, it's impossible to say that they were correct in their calculations.

This is how I interpret it, at least.

A 14,2% margin on the base version would, BTW, easily support an average automotive margin of 25%. Easily.

Yes this makes sense and you laid it out better than I did. I think the answer to "is the base profitable" was essentially answered here. The exact margin obviously not.

That won't help when market makers are naked short selling the stock. They create stock, then selling it short to either cap the price or drive it down. Then after volume stabilizes, they buy back slowly at the suppressed price in order to cover their tracks. It's the dirtiest secret on Wall St.

Only the company should be allowed to issue stock. Naked short selling by market makers is an abuse which is harming investors and damaging the company.
Totally true. However, I would not be so sure that they "slowly buy back" those shares. IMO, they are so f__ked, and they know it, that many of those phantom shares are still in the system. This is why we will never see a full-blown squeeze-----they just keep selling fake shares.

Yeah, that really upsets me. Why does Tesla not want the unmolested information shared with us retail shareholders?

Yeah it doesn't exactly make me feel better that the volume of trading the next day was extremely high considering the news(we all knew 35k was coming at some point, we all knew Q1 might not be profitable). The only new news was the online strategy but still, 23 million shares is pretty damn high.

That won't help when market makers are naked short selling the stock. They create stock, then selling it short to either cap the price or drive it down. Then after volume stabilizes, they buy back slowly at the suppressed price in order to cover their tracks. It's the dirtiest secret on Wall St.

Only the company should be allowed to issue stock. Naked short selling by market makers is an abuse which is harming investors and damaging the company.

Sooooo what's stopping them from capping the stock price at 300 for the next 5 years?

Most likely IMO is to delete the true-base $35K model after a year and have only "Standard Plus"
Hi, I think this goes againts Tesla's mission. They need and intent to get as many EVs into service as possible, and that means adding value while cutting their costs.

I think the most likely outcome is that the new Maxwell cells become available within a year with an initial 50% increase in energy density. That lets Telsa produce with the same range but 2/3rds cost of bty cells. Maxcell has demonstated the 50% improvement already, according to Tesla.

Maxcell has also shown a path to a 100% improvement in cell-level energy density. When that cell becomes available, I predict Tesla will begin production of the $25K car.

Elon repeated his goal of producing that car "in 2 to 3 yrs, probably 3" on the Feb 28 CC.

So no, I don't think the $35K Model 3 ever goes away. I think $35K buys you more car. This is Silicon Valley, not River Rouge.