Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pandemic e-commerce surge spurs race for 'Tesla-like' electric delivery vans

"For us, it's not just about making the wheels turn with a zero-emission vehicle," said Scott Phillippi, UPS's senior director of fleet maintenance and engineering, who envisions "Tesla-like" vehicles in the company's vast fleet. "It's about an integrated-technology vehicle - and that's really what we're pushing for."

And Tesla’s OTA updates are finally getting some practical appreciation…

‘If, for instance, a manufacturer developed a feature to prevent a truck from bumping into a loading dock, UPS could have it in tens of thousands of vehicles overnight to prevent expensive dents, Phillippi said.’

Last edited:
Positive developments in Germany about autonomous driving. In the top meeting between industry, lobby groups, unions, and the government yesterday it was decided that Germany wants to enable an autonomous driving regulation that allows L3 and L4 in 2022. The Ministry of Transport was endorsing a proposal that has been welcomed from Herbert Diess.

I am delighted to read that and have high hopes in that approach as the Ministry has been a key blocking part so far. VW considers putting his Argo vehicles that operate in the US into Germany in the future. Diess pointed out how important it is not to lose touch with the US and China in that regard.

The implication for Tesla can't be underestimated. With Tesla the most advanced in autonomous driving if the German market would open up to its abilities, Europe will likely follow. The voice from Germany in the recent UNECE regulation that included 53 countries globally was strong.

Right now AP is restricted in its abilities here in Germany to a point where its sometimes hard to use it at all. I drive usually always with NoAP but because of the restriction it does not work as smoothly as in the US and many functions are simply blocked.

If Germany makes a change with autonomous driving and the meeting concluded that as an official statement the value case for every Tesla owner is increasing by a large factor and the competitive edge of Tesla is increasing further.

That's encouraging!

View attachment 586161

I don’t see how this helps Tesla in the short run. The current plan of record is to keep FSD at Level 2 (Supervision necessary), until they believe it’s is statistically safe enough. Are you referring to the period after it’s that? I’m a little pessimistic, and I think edge cases will explode as they try and go longer between interventions/accidents, and thus this period of time could last for a while.

IIRC Mercedes is releasing a full Level 3 next year, so this would definitely benefit them.

Oh boy, another Tesla-killer disappointment for the haters. Lucid released some pricing details for the Air. After the media claimed the Air would have 517 miles of range, and cost less than $100k, it seems that was nothing more than a pipe dream. In reality, the top trim level version will be $169,000 and the next model down will be around $140k (both before tax rebate).

They do claim they'll have 2 models available in late 2021 for less than $100k - but no word about the specs (range) on those.

So yea, they may get 517 miles, but obviously, Tesla can just do the same thing - introduce a super high end model with a 120 kwh battery that has a more luxurious interior, and sell it for about $135k, still about $35k less than the Air - with Tesla superchargers, with Tesla service centers, with Tesla's AP, etc, etc, etc.

Obviously, some people will buy this car, just like some people are dumb enough to buy the Taycan. But, for the moment at least, it's another Tesla killer that went down in a fizzle. Got to suck for the haters.

Lucid Air Price Revealed

Missed the beginning as was just tuning in. Brian is a host and as the early morning show “Worldwide Exchange” (I think) was drawing to a close there was a Market discussion when he made the Tesla and options comment.

It would be good for the comment to be confirmed in case I got it wrong.

This show comes on before Squawkbox and is IMO good/better at getting to the nitty gritty. Hope this clarifies a bit.

[edited to add info and link to video]

He mentions Gamma Squeeze and also "Reverse Conversion". Quotes a trader as saying "Tesla is not an important stock to the market, it IS the market in many ways". Mentions use of "Synthetic long positions through the use of derivatives and options...". Seems worthwhile to try to understand what he means.

Here is the clip (listen at 1 minute):

Payne: Tech just got to a point where the valuations got a bit "silly"

How does the S&P deal with this fact? I am at a loss.

While they may not want to make an exception by adding a company in a staggered manner, if I’m correct then if a company is booted mid term from the S&P 500, the company that replaces it takes its proportion irrespective of that company’s market cap. The latter would be handled at the next rebalancing. So, can be done in two stages without making an exception.

While they may not want to make an exception by adding a company in a staggered manner, if I’m correct then if a company is booted mid term from the S&P 500, the company that replaces it takes its proportion irrespective of that company’s market cap. The latter would be handled at the next rebalancing. So, can be done in two stages without making an exception.
This means they boot someone in the middle?

That rule is for the S&P Equal Weight Indexes.

Edit: @jerry33 retroactive tag

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: kalefranz and 22522
Obviously CNBC getting paid to trash TSLA is perfectly logical. What I don't get is this stuff....

Screenshot_20200909-081602.jpg

TSLA isn't moving in the pre-market???

Obviously CNBC getting paid to trash TSLA is perfectly logical. What I don't get is this stuff....

View attachment 586193

TSLA isn't moving in the pre-market???
CNBC is just trying to punish Tesla for not paying the advertising ransom. I don't believe anyone is specifically paying CNBC to trash TSLA, they thought of that all by themselves.

That makes no sense. Inclusion in an index is binary. You are either included or you are not included.
What about weighting, though?

I'm pretty sure what @jw934 is proposing is to include TSLA at 10% of the "correct" weighting, and then increase the weighting periodically to spread out the shock.

What about weighting, though?

I'm pretty sure what @jw934 is proposing is to include TSLA at 10% of the "correct" weighting, and then increase the weighting periodically to spread out the shock.
I thought the weighting was always at the level that the stock removed was last at. Doesn't that automatically take care of it because the weighting was likely very low (or they wouldn't have been removed).

I thought the weighting was always at the level that the stock removed was last at. Doesn't that automatically take care of it because the weighting was likely very low (or they wouldn't have been removed).
AFAICT for the S&P 500, the weighting is in proportion to the market cap based on the public float, with a divisor that's adjusted after market close in response to corporate actions and companies being added/removed from the index.

Disappointing test results from Auto-Motor-Sport having the ID.3 58KWh for a true test drive. Price in Germany $58k

I trust that media outlet quite a bit they are fair in their tests and balanced in judgment. The criticized Tesla in a fair way but call the Model 3 the clear market leader.

In short:

• Panel Gaps (!) badly built
  • Cheap material
  • Electronic make a lot of issues
  • Navigation stops unintended
  • Voice does not work
  • Range only 161mi
  • Consumption 23Kwh per 100km versus the promoted 16 KwH per 100Km (Model 3 has 14)
Main positive: it drives well and steering is good

You get less range for a higher price with the ID.3 versus a Model 3 which makes me to revise my so far positive outlook for it in Germany. It still will sell but in the one to one comparison tesla is beating them also with the price hands down.

VW ID.3 mit Problemen im ersten Test: Fährt gut, patzt bei Verarbeitung und Elektronik