Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1303495330223198208

Rawlinson didn’t design Model S. Prototype was done before he joined & he left us in the lurch just as things got tough, which was not cool. He did make some contributions to body/chassis engineering, but not to powertrain, battery, electronics or software.

Elon is fairly low key and non-controversial on Twitter these days...

But I'm getting the impression Elon and Rawlinson don't like each other.

Nothing like a bit of competition spiced up with personal dislike, Plaid Model S v Lucid Air is worth the price of admission....

Unlike Nikola, Lucid is at least relevant engineering competition.

Been wondering about that. Keep in mind that the 1% of shares alloted was fixed relative to the number of outstanding shares when the CEO compensation plan was approved in 2018.

Also, I saw some recent move by Tesla to change their executive compensation process to be more committee based, I think. Not clear on this, but I was speculationg idly it could affect the way Tesla accrues it's stock grants, perhaps smoothing them out over 5 yrs instead of the current "more likely to vest" methodology.

Other thoughts?

OOooO, got me thinking that maybe Elon didnt want to impact the q3 ER results due to his compensation so they engineered a downward moment with ATM money raise. Definitely very low probability but what say?

> it was done at a time when the price was "fairly high", sometimes waiting for a better price doesn't work out.
I see your point.
For me still, barring a concern of macros not doing well around BDay event, I fail to see a reason to rush this ATM offering other than implying BDay won't have much upside for SP.

Removing uncertainty is helpful. I could see a point to moving smartly on the raise so that the announcement of its completion could be made quickly. Now it is out of the way and not a distraction as we approach battery day with full focus.

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Just because I don't think that enough people in the last week have added time-stamped mentions of the current stock price I feel obliged to mention the current price of tsla in Frankfurt is 290.75 EUR, and all is well.

Is all seriousness. These are unesseary. I appreciate it's been an emotionally draining week but the ratio of informative posts to posts that are all but spam has become way too low.

Anyone checked on TT007 this week?

Yes - I follow him onTwitter. He did sell all is LEAPS last week and moved into common stock.

Yesterday's thoughts:
upload_2020-9-9_9-56-21.png

I wonder if it was such a good idea to show Elon the ID3. Would not be surprised if Model 2 will end up looking similar to ID3 and will be phase 2 of Giga Berlin which should start construction not to far after Phase 1, as was the case in Shanghai. Using the new die casting technology and new cabling etc from the start they should be able to make the car very compact, lightweight and cheap to produce with margins mainly coming from FSD and sharing costs with Y/3.

Think the size of ID3 with the looks of Model Y.

upload_2020-9-9_10-12-7.jpeg

I wonder if it was such a good idea to show Elon the ID3. Would not be surprised if Model 2 will end up looking similar to ID3 and will be phase 2 of Giga Berlin which should start construction not to far after Phase 1, as was the case in Shanghai. Using the new die casting technology and new cabling etc from the start they should be able to make the car very compact, lightweight and cheap to produce with margins mainly coming from FSD and sharing costs with Y/3.

Think the size of ID3 with the looks of Model Y.

View attachment 586156

I find it highly unlikely two CEOs met and filmed a test drive of one of their products and throw it on the internet without some motive. Could be VW wants in on superchargers, or batteries or autopilot. Could be many things. Who knows. But I don't think Elon taking notes on how to improve Tesla cars is on Diess' mind.

But I don't think Elon taking notes on how to improve Tesla cars is on Diess' mind.

Manufacturers always buy their competitor's products after release to tear it down & benchmark. I guess Tesla would be doing the same anyway.

My personal guess is that this meeting was political to solidify Diess's position agains some internal enemies in VW. The more he aligns himself with green/EV the harder it will be to fire him because it would be easy to spin the narrative that "they fired the guy that drove the green VW revolution".

Manufacturers always buy their competitor's products after release to tear it down & benchmark. I guess Tesla would be doing the same anyway.

My personal guess is that this meeting was political to solidify Diess's position agains some internal enemies in VW. The more he aligns himself with green/EV the harder it will be to fire him because it would be easy to spin the narrative that "they fired the guy that drove the green VW revolution".

Tesla does not buy competitor models and tear them down. Its against 1st principles thinking and only hinders if you are the innovative leader. Because they don't we have the superior cars they manufacture today. Tesla is doing a lot differently than incumbents for good reasons.

In an interview lately, Elon disclosed that he has no clue what the competition delivers today and I have been happy to hear that. There is nothing Tesla can learn from them and even if with the 1st principle approach you will frog leap soon.

Its completely normal to meet from time to time and I do not read anything else into it.

Elon mentioned at the show in Berlin last year that they meet and talk regularly.

Nothing to see here.

Tesla does not buy competitor models and tear them down. Its against 1st principles thinking and only hinders if you are the innovative leader. Because they don't we have the superior cars they manufacture today. Tesla is doing a lot differently than incumbents for good reasons.

it does not make sense to leave potentially valuable information on the table by not looking into solutions independent minds have come up with -- even if the chances of discovering something new would be low. that would be pretty arrogant. thus even if they don't tear it down themselves they will have a third-party company do it.

Its completely normal to meet from time to time and I do not read anything else into it.
Elon mentioned at the show in Berlin last year that they meet and talk regularly.

this is true. but usually you're not making such a fuss about it with LI posts, selfies, etc..... it's almost embarassing.

anyway, let's agree to disagree here.