Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was going to sell slightly OTM calls today, and then place a Buy Stop Loss order to buy the shares to cover the calls just below the strike price. But then I realized that if the S&P committee adds TSLA, it will happen after hours, and cause such a violent gap up (probably 30+%), that I would miss the opportunity to buy the shares below the strike price of my calls. So I'm not going to do it until after the event. Just too risky.

Indeed the possibility of S&P is quite the paralytic, isn’t it.

Wish we could just be done with it. The stock has already suffered as if they came out and announced it isn’t happening for at least another quarter.

I was going to sell slightly OTM calls today, and then place a Buy Stop Loss orde
r to buy the shares to cover the calls just below the strike price. But then I realized that if the S&P committee adds TSLA, it will happen after hours, and cause such a violent gap up (probably 30+%), that I would miss the opportunity to buy the shares below the strike price of my calls. So I'm not going to do it until after the event. Just too risky.

I sold some against the newly minted Tesla shares purchased yesterday. Oct 2nd - 470 strikes .. ~ 20$ premium. ~ 45 days for theta decay.
Seems I will also get my Sept 18 Puts assigned, will be doing the same. cheers!!

(goal of far OTM's is to keep collecting the pennies)

Anyone have any theories why $350 seems to be such a magnetic price? We hung out here a lot yesterday and today.

Lots of little tweaks and manipulations today to stop it taking off, unfortunately the volume hasn't been so great so this has been successful.

I'm heartened though because the stock looks like it wants to go up, so barring more bad macros I think we'll see some sustained recovery.

That being said, shorty will be let back in the house tomorrow...

Much as I hate this S&P stuff at this point, it is the elephant in the room insofar as the SP is concerned.

As many have pointed out, the S&P really must add TSLA at some point. But the time frame is totally up to the S&P. Could be today. Could possibly be a year from now, although I would consider that highly doubtful. Much sooner than that would be a reasonable assumption. Could well be the 3rd Q earnings blowout that may force the issue. But if plays out as such, then again the S&P is in a bind.

Regardless of when the inclusion is made, the problem will be the same: no S&P index funds own TSLA at all in any of their indexes. They will be forced to purchase what appears to be about 100 million shares (probably more). There WILL be an explosive move up. And when it is done it is done, there is likely to be an explosive move down (that has never happened to TSLA, has it?).

How does the S&P deal with this fact? I am at a loss. But the whole scenario seems to guarantee high volatility in TSLA until this is settled.

Meanwhile, the fundamentals of the company are screaming upwards. And everyone wants a Model Y.
There is a simple mathematical solution here. The committee could include Tesla on a fractional basis, say 25% in one quarter, 50% in next, then 75% and on to 100% in the fourth quarter.

I gave a disagree because in-line with comments earlier this week I think it's best not to give these idiots a platform.

On the other hand, Craig isn't a shouter, like Gordo, so Rob might be able to get a word in edgeways.

As an addendum, all these bears know full well they're talking crap, but that's what they're paid to say, so what's the point in trying to convince them? The arguments they give are all the same, and they're all wrong. And have been proven wrong for year and years and years, and yet they're still there, spouting the same rubbish.

I like those Bulls VS Bears debates. I personally learn thing from them, for my own knowledge and for discussions with haters at work, or with people interested in investing and want to know why i have most of my money tied up in Tesla stock.

I also like them as I can re-watch to remind myself of the bright future and how I am in the right place investment wise when we have days like yesterday.

I also find it very entertaining to see them get torn to shreds.

Thanks

In case may calculation wasn't clear to anyone, $310 is 61.8% of the Tesla all-time intra-day high of $502, i.e. a drop of 38.2%.
I'm no expert, but I think fibonacci levels are generally calculated from the start of an uptrend to the high (rather than just a ratio of the high price).

For instance, if you take the $274 bottom of 8/11/20 and then the ~$500 high of 8/31/20, the fibonacci 78.6 retracement level was ~$322. With regard to projection of the next fibonacci resistance, it would be the 61.8 at $462. I'm following this method:

Anyone have any theories why $350 seems to be such a magnetic price? We hung out here a lot yesterday and today.

Generally speaking human emotions and thereby trading are influenced by round numbers. Traders tend to trade around these levels. From an investor’s perspective we usually have stop orders or limit orders or triggers setup at these levels so you will usually see some additional volume at these whole number levels creating resistance and/or support.

For TSLA today 356 is the resistance and 341 is the support. I don’t see us breaking out of this range today with the volume we are seeing.