Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I understand, but you should realize that the comment section everywhere (any newspaper, YouTube, blogs, all of Twitter and Facebook) is a war zone. Getting called a loser is pretty mild, it could have been much worse. Just don’t wade into the comments and you’ll be much happier.

You should have seen the reaction within my own family when we bought our Model X. My brother still cannot get over it and still calls it a “contraption”. It is a pity. I used to have a very good relationship with my brother; called each other on a weekly basis but ever since we bought the Tesla he hardly calls me anymore, just the birthday stuff. Sad..

Sure. The post was made mostly tongue-in-cheek. Meaning I’ll be much happier not posting and realizing how much richer we are all going to be based off the ignorance (willful or not) of the “ICE forever” crowd.

This x1000. I just read someone whining about some game I made because it contained 'religious leftish like climate change'. These people are both ignorant, and destined for complete financial and mental meltdowns when they realise that yup, the local gas station and ICE-repair shop have closed down, because only dinosaurs and idiots are still clinging to burning gasoline to get from A to B. Meanwhile they wont be able to afford a new car anyway, as their savings just evaporated because they clung on to 'solid' investments like Ford and Exxon.
Sod em. Their loss is our gain.

You should have seen the reaction within my own family when we bought our Model X. My brother still cannot get over it and still calls it a “contraption”. It is a pity. I used to have a very good relationship with my brother; called each other on a weekly basis but ever since we bought the Tesla he hardly calls me anymore, just the birthday stuff. Sad..
You explained to him that because of all the contraption out there the sea rise will be 1 less foot high in Miami in 20 years?

I know. It's extremely frustrating. I've been driving a Model S for over 7 years now (2013, 2018 cars) and I'm appalled at the amount of friends I've lost because of Tesla. It is a topic that cannot be discussed with them. I would say that the chief reason for their hate of Elon, and the whole idea of Tesla, can be chalked up to a corrupt and captured media. Sadly, they have achieved, significantly, their purposeful distortion of truth. As to lost friends, there is a line from the last paragraph of "Walden Pond" that I find comfort in: "Only that day dawns to which we are awake".

Here is another basic reason why Tesla is pursuing silicon anodes for Project Roadrunner: there is no graphite on Mars, but there's plenty of silicon.

Sand (Silicon Dioxide) is the most prevalent mineral on Mars. In most all Elon's long-term drives to create new technology, the underlying motivation is "will it work on Mars?"
Those were my same thoughts the other day(100 pages back!) with the long term plan being Mars: Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the 2019-2020 Investors' Roundtable
I didn't think about the lack of wind turbines but that makes a lot of sense of why they don't pursue that technology. I always thought Starlink was a prototype for Mars as well.

I agree with you in that i gotta line up some funds once SpaceX IPO is available:

HODL!!!

Seems like Tesla is trying to use the internal Model3/Y cam to dectect driver attentiveness according to green:
https://twitter.com/greentheonly/status/1312607693249667073

Nice if there would be no nags to hold steering wheel any more if it detects you are attentive, on the other hand I am not really comfortable being filmed all the time. Guess you can´t have both at the same time...

Seems like Tesla is trying to use the internal Model3/Y cam to dectect driver attentiveness according to green:

Nice if there would be no nags to hold steering wheel any more if it detects you are attentive, on the other hand I am not really comfortable being filmed all the time. Guess you can´t have both at the same time...

Don't like my car spying on me. If this comes to be, I'll be putting some tape over that camera.

Don't like my car spying on me. If this comes to be, I'll be putting some tape over that camera.

Too late, you already bought a Tesla. That's like putting tape over the front camera on a iPhone/Android so it can't "spy on you". It knows your location, times, and everything you do with it and has built in connectivity to report it all back to the mother-ship. If you don't want to be spied on then get a flip phone and drive a ICE dinosaur pre-1996 (ODB1 computer).

Do I want my privacy compromised... of course not! But this is how it is now and going to be even more so in the future and hopefully it can be done in an anonymous way so that it knows me as user #XYZ and only uses the data in the intended way.

I think the inside camera integration idea is cool in the fact that Tesla is yet again putting HW in the car to plan for something in the future and do something that no one else has done before. Yet again, Tesla leading the way and that makes me happy as a sharehodler.

Too late, you already bought a Tesla. That's like putting tape over the front camera on a iPhone/Android so it can't "spy on you". It knows your location, times, and everything you do with it and has built in connectivity to report it all back to the mother-ship. If you don't want to be spied on then get a flip phone and drive a ICE dinosaur pre-1996 (ODB1 computer).

Do I want my privacy compromised... of course not! But this is how it is now and going to be even more so in the future and hopefully it can be done in an anonymous way so that it knows me as user #XYZ and only uses the data in the intended way.

I think the inside camera integration idea is cool in the fact that Tesla is yet again putting HW in the car to plan for something in the future and do something that no one else has done before. Yet again, Tesla leading the way and that makes me happy as a sharehodler.

Well . . . one of my cars is rooted and completely disconnected from Tesla's mothership (the 2013).

But your point is valid for my other car (for now).

People are walking under camera surveillance in city centers without caring. They talk on the phone without caring how easily they could be monitored. They expose their lives on social media.

But filming their face staring ahead is big no-no because it would be so interesting for someone to spy on them mostly doing nothing.

In the rare case when you do get a blowjob in the car, then slap something on the camera and default back on the steering wheel monitoring. Otherwise I have hard time understanding why so many care about the subject. I don't.

The camera surveillance would just give more options. If you don't like it, turn it off and hang your hand on the wheel. It doesn't need to take away the existing method of driver surveillance as an alternative. But the authorities may require it in the future (in some jurisdictions) and you're out of luck if you don't have it.

Last edited:

One issue that was pointed out by George Hotz is that the internal camera does not have IR capabilities. So it might not work well at night.

One issue that was pointed out by George Hotz is that the internal camera does not have IR capabilities so it might now work well at night.

the use of the 3/Y cam for this has been discussed heavily in other threads.... that's not even the only reason it's a bad solution (though it's a significant one)

It's also the wrong type of camera, and physically in the wrong place for this task.

Look at the solutions Caddy (and now Ford and others) have designed for driver attention, they're not only low-light and IR capable, they project their own IR to illuminate, are designed specifically to deal with sunglasses polarization, and they're located on the steering column directly aimed at the drivers face.

And even those aren't 100% reliable, but they'd do a ton better job than the 3/Y interior cam would.

(and that's ignoring how pissed all S/X owners would be if suddenly the 3/Y dropped the steering wheel nags but their cars still had em)

None of which is to say they couldn't add a check with that camera to augment the steering wheel check (and obviously the recently added code Green notes would point in that direction) but I can't see how all the HW limitations involved would allow them to move to it exclusively.

Last edited by a moderator:
People are walking under camera surveillance in city centers without caring. They talk on the phone without caring how easily they could be monitored. They expose their lives on social media.

But filming their face staring ahead is big no-no because it would be so interesting for someone to spy on them mostly doing nothing.

In the rare case when you do get a blowjob in the car, then slap something on the camera and default back on the steering wheel monitoring. Otherwise I have hard time understanding why so many care about the subject. I don't.

The camera surveillance would just give more options. If you don't like it, turn it off and hang your hand on the wheel. It doesn't need to take away the existing method of driver surveillance as an alternative. But the authorities may require it in the future (in some jurisdictions) and you're out of luck if you don't have it.

Plan ahead for those rare cases:

https://www.amazon.com/LUCKEASY-Webcam-coverfor-2017-2019-Privacy/dp/B07S5BFN6M

Global Launch

I’m looking forward to:

Monica Araya
Electrification advocate
Monica Araya works with leaders in government, business, philanthropy and activism to accelerate the shift toward emissions-free transportation.

Should be great series of Ted Talks.

It's a great program... High time for the public at large to refocus on climate. If the pandemic has taught us anything, it's that when scientists tell you there's a serious threat coming, you really do need to pay attention, and ACT. Climate threat = pandemic x 1000.

I'll be spending next Saturday watching this with my loved ones....

I already have my own plan for this.

s-l1600.jpg

Have you ever met a hater doing better than you ?

Me neither.