Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
True. Please also look at the impact of tabless with vertical cooling, etc. Regardless of chemistry, if I understand correctly. the 4680 tabless has much more usable energy including every specific metric. In each case both charge and discharge can b faster without harm. That is because of far less energy loss to heat. There are countless engineering and physical explanations about why that is true. Thus, regardless of which chemistry might be used, 4680 vehicles will have better Autobahn performance, as well as better performance everywhere. I said nothing at all about high nickel, which on Battery Day was described as limited to a few exceedingly demanding cases such as Semi and some other limited applications.

Cell chemistry will certainly be varied depending on application, just as it is already, but even more dramatically. There is TE as well as vehicles so the variety will enhance critical performance, durability and cost optimization for all applications.

Yeah, the tabless cell integration and vehicle to pack architecture will increase range by 30% alone (according to the Battery Day slides).

So with same chemistry, they should be able to reach 400 miles on Model Y.

Then maybe the SR they could get close to 300.

Reactions: kbM3 and jbcarioca
Here's Pierre's note, courtesy of Gary Black on Twitter: https://twitter.com/garyblack00/status/1313980316969828352

EjwyIilWAAArfL3
You just made my day.
Thanks for finding that out.

Breaking News:

Mercedes sounds like a desperate ex stuffing her bra with balloons as I walk by.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/merce...-prototype-electric-car-teased-750-mile-range

"Engineers working on the project claim that rather than increasing battery capacity (and with it, weight), advances in aerodynamic efficiency is key to unlocking such a large range."

LOL so they are going to drop the drag coefficient enough to more than triple their current range?

The fact of the matter is, once you're down in the low .2x drag coefficient, there's very little you can do to signficantly impact aero efficiency without sacrificing passenger space, safety, appearance, or a combination of the 3.

Mercedes should probably take a step back and, I don't know...look at things from a physics first principles perspective.

"Engineers working on the project claim that rather than increasing battery capacity (and with it, weight), advances in aerodynamic efficiency is key to unlocking such a large range."

LOL so they are going to drop the drag coefficient enough to more than triple their current range?

The fact of the matter is, once you're down in the low .2x drag coefficient, there's very little you can do to signficantly impact aero efficiency without sacrificing passenger space, safety, appearance, or a combination of the 3.

Mercedes should probably take a step back and, I don't know...look at things from a physics first principles perspective.
They will look at it from a first principle perspective...by calling LG Chem.

Last edited:
That’s some gymnastic Osborn reduction. No loss for selling Euro Y now because they get the new one and can’t get the current one. No loss for US Y because we can’t get the new one for 2 years. Now we get to dream about the Euro spec Y like we did for the E36 M3.

What is your timeline for Austin GF if you believe the new 4680 Model Y we now know will be delivered when Berlin GF starts production in June/July of 2021, if you think those new MYs won't start production from Austin GF until 2 years from now?

Correct me if I'm mistaken but didn't Austin GF break ground in mid July only 2 or 3 months after Berlin broke ground?
Some weeks back Tesla said 1st completion at Austin would be May next year. They didn't say what that was going to be but it suggests it's time line to start operations won't be far behind Berlin.
It's clear that they will get the various new MY lines debugged and ramped at Berlin and equipment in place at Austin ready to go once they are confident they've figured out start up problems in Berlin.

In considering when 4680 Model Ys for U.S. may become available we shouldn't forget that the biggest innovation after the battery itself is how much simpler the cars will be to build with the front and rear single piece castings joined by a simplified structural battery segment.

Here's Pierre's note, courtesy of Gary Black on Twitter: https://twitter.com/garyblack00/status/1313980316969828352

EjwyIilWAAArfL3
~~~I have just contacted Pierre and he and NSR normally would insist this be taken down but for this specific instance gave explicit approval to allow it to remain as shown.

But he hit me first!
The violation of copyrighted material elsewhere (Twitter, eg) does NOT provide shelter for such to appear on TMC.~~~

Why anyone would still buy TSLA at the opening bell is beyond me. There is allmost always a better moment to get in, usually within fifteen to thirty minutes. You would expect every trader to be familiar with the (early) MMD by now.

Except the day after battery day it drop down to $360ish or something at the opening. That is when I got in on Tesla stock for the first time. Wish I got in much earlier like most people here.

When I first popped into this thread around that time looking to buy some TSLA stock...the first response I got was good luck and expect to become addicted to this thread. Lol, so true...I spend way too much time here now.

Rivians has not made any marketing missteps.

Soccer mommies don't want mommymobiles. If they did they would buy minivans.

Parents want vehicles desired by cool single people. That also work as family vehicles.

Branding Rivian as selling overlanding trucks for cool single 30 year olds kayaking and offroad biking sells Rivian SUVs to well to do 35-55 year old parents for taking their kids 3 miles to school or the supermarket. And grandparents to drive ~5k miles per year in the city.

I know everyone here is too clever to fall for paid advertising but that is not how the world works outside this thread.

Ok. What do you think about their marketing emphasis on their truck rather than their SUV? Is it because they have a fight on their hands versus the Cybertruck and have no competition on the SUV? I guess that would make sense.

• Love
Reactions: lafrisbee