Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Stock Drops Ahead of Earnings. Here’s Why.
Spolier: "Stock in electric-vehicle pioneer Tesla is off because California new-vehicle registration statistics look light. Shares might also be down because traders are adjusting positions ahead of earnings, which are due out Wednesday evening."

I'm Ready for another jump :D, Here is the 6 mo trends vs QQQ.

Tesla Pop.jpg

I meant to post this here rather than the quarterly earnings thread:

Thanks @The Accountant for taking the effort to do this and share it.

One number I absolutely love is the 7.9% operating margin. Almost doubled in a year and undoubtedly increasing further into Q4 and beyond. This really is a fantastic number. I haven't checked but I doubt there is any other car manufacturer with an operating margin as impressive as that, indeed most will be operating at a loss.

Cash flow is also great. The days of a cash raise weighing heavily on the stock price is a distant memory.

I also like the EPS figures. Strictly, P/E ratio is based on GAAP EPS but pretty much everyone prefers non GAAP. If you take the 3 quarters earnings so far and make an educated guess for Q4, Tesla's P/E ratio finally starts to look less than stratospheric. And it's only going to get better.

p.s. Really nicely presented figures as well!

What's the best way to find this trading / (Time&Sales(?) data -- specifically, filtering trades based on volume equal to or greater than X (I am able to do this with Fidelity) but specifically with regard to the second part you mentioned, "large trades ... pulled" -- what resource do you use to find this data? Thanks!
Nothing noteworthy - really just old fashioned watching the tape very, very carefully (with the help of modern day technology, of course).

So I'm getting the "media" message that we should all sell out of fear of the ER. That's a sign to buy (if you think they're done playing).
Meanwhile... FSD? Nice Margins on China exports to the EU? Starlinked Tesla's for Canadians? There's just too much to look forward to here.
Here's my disclaimer: My numbers are completely from deep knowledge that I don't understand. I'm a Learning Expert by career (before this one). Content Experts get that "gut feel" all the time, but unless you do a thorough Q&A analysis, there is deep logic that even the Content Expert doesn't understand - even though it can be revealed.

So. I got a hunch is all. Don't ask, IDK.

All we need is for the Nasdaq to go up 3 or 4% to eek out a maybe .2% gain ;)

Totally logical.....on the day before earnings lol

Edit: Quite humorous watching any rise get capped while at the same time macro's go another leg higher. It's so damn obvious and predictable.

Last edited:
I wonder how much GM is spending to advertise the Hummer EV. Looks like a 30 second super bowl ad last year was 5.6 million. I'm also seeing ads splashed all over.

Remind me of how much Tesla spent on ads for the Cybertruck?

GM spends over $3 billion on advertising just in the US...

GM Spends an Embarrassing Amount of Money on Advertising | MotorBiscuit

"When looking at ad spending per vehicle sold, Hyundai claimed the top spot. Hyundai spent $4,006 per Genesis vehicle sold in 2018. Ford’s Lincoln brand came in second with $2,106 per vehicle sold. After Jaguar and Alfa Romeo, GM’s Cadillac brand came in fifth with $1,242 spent per vehicle sold. Tesla was the lowest at just $3 spent per vehicle sold."

I have often used the knife fight metaphor in describing TSLA share price action. I remain as convinced today as I have ever been, the fossil fuel industry will not go quietly into the night.

Billions of people and companies are vested in the fossil fuel and automotive industries. The endowment effect will drive their animosity toward sustainable transportation until electric vehicles reach a tipping point.

Tesla and those vested in it must become battle-hardened. In the end technology will evolve — the fittest shall survive.

Your facial hair looks different now for some reason. I can't quite put my finger on what it is...