Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There seems to be a recall of 29.000 Model S and X vehicles in China produced until 2017.

Source: Tesla to recall 29,193 Model S, X in China - regulator

Let's see what exactly the issue is and if an OTA fix might work.

ead849046db679c369bf66112bf1adec.png

I wrote this post 2 weeks ago. We don’t have full FSD yet but I think it’s relevant to what has been demonstrated in the last 24 hours. As expected, MSM and wall st are completely oblivious to what is happening. Once they realize it the SP will respond but this is the time we have our edge. Buy and HODL appropriately. I personally bought a lot more shares and LEAPs today. My goal is to become a 20-Teslanaire.
LEAPS: Expiration and strikes?

A colleague from Germany claims that by recording and uploading video clips of pedestrians to a server in the US, Tesla is violating privacy laws in Europe (GDPR).

Anyone here share this concern?

He’s saying that local authorities are already looking into that. A number of large corporations in Europe would enjoy doing damage to Tesla.

Privacy laws in Europe are a concern, I know here in Spain, shops are only allowed to have CCTV pointing in towards their shops and not out to the street. There was even a case when a supermarket placed a camera above the cashiers to film then stealing money from the till, and the court fined the business and made the business re-hire the cashiers for invading their privacy and not gaining consent for the recording (lunacy!)

I have to abide by GDPR in my business. From my understanding, Tesla would actually be OK under GDPR laws because what is important isnt the recording of the images but the processing of the data. As the images are not capturing faces, names or any personal data that could identify the person (the person filmed is simply being labelled as "pedestrian") then the processed data is being completely deidentified, and therefore not in breach of GDPR rules.

Thank Thor it is Friday. While of course the end of the week makes today a bit special, to me this day is a bit more special. Today is my first anniversary as a Tesla investor. On this day last year, I purchased my first 100 (20) shares. The main motivation was my financial problem for when I retire (very small pension). I have a couple of years to go before I can retire, and apart from buying a house (with a modest mortgage) the plan was and is to save any Euro I can. In view of a zero interest rate, I decided to look into shares. I wasn't raised that we. My family saved money, didn't do loans (except for a mortgage) and at most a tiny bit in an investment fund. And that was what I did. I did stray away from that. When at university, together with two fellow student I did buy a couple of shares but knowing little about the company, that was gambling. Lost a few tens of Euro's and stopped doing that.

I was always interested in innovative / start up companies, and I happened to read in a newspaper I found in the train about a penny stock. I bought it with most of the savings (2.5k) I had, forgot about it, and landed a 10 bagger about two or three years later. I bought a 400 cc used motorcycle, and put the rest in a savings account. At one point I thought I should invest it, so I put it in the investment fund and that was a few days before a significant crash. My shares didn't recover for years.
I have been an Apple fan (less so these days, but will pick it over Windows that I have to work with for my job and was frustrated that this investment fund didn't do very well. Didn't they see how well Apple was doing. I closed the account for a downpayment for a (lousy) apartment.
At some point I started noticing that people were starting to wear white earphones, like I did. I thought I should invest in Apple. Looked into it a bit but didn't find a way. Investing in a foreign company wasn't as easy as it is these days. Should have been more persistent. You know how it ended up with Apple.

Last year, I didn't pick Apple for my investment. Tesla was my pick because I was enthusiastic about the company for years, spotting that very rare roadster on the road and model Ses that became less and less rare. At some point you would see one every 30 miles on average! And then came Model 3, which grew in popularity quickly. A company that is helping to reduce CO2 emissions and being innovative ticked boxes that are important to me. And clearly there were getting more and more on the road. So Tesla it was. At that moment I didn't know what I was getting into. I was (and to a major extent) am still a naive/novice investor. I did learn a bit, like HODL, not trying to time the market, and market makers. But let's get back to at that day one year ago where I bought my first 20 (100) shares.

Today the situation with Tesla is different from what it was one year ago. Back then, when you invested in Tesla on the 23rd of October, you would get a 20% welcome premium the next day. These days they punish you with just 0.75% to rub it in for not investing more and earlier. (I'm not complaining, just practicing at what I'm not good at: Making jokes). In any case, that raise did easy my nervousness a bit. Well, not for long. I invested more, and found out that the stock price was a roller coaster. I worried a lot about the stock price going down and having bought the shares at too high a price. Don't we all wish we could travel back to last year to invest a bit more. The number of shares grew, also because money that I had planned to spend on my new house (the first nice house I live in for decades) got repurposed. By the next quarter or so I had more money that I had planned to accumulated by the time I'm officially allowed to retire by saving diligently. That lead me to shift the goal post almost a quickly as a theist in a discussion on the validity of his religion. The originally planned amount to be saved would still not give me anything near a comfortable living (I've never bought a new car, and probably never would be able to do so). This new goal would allow me to go on a modest holiday once a year or so. And then I started to dream about retiring earlier (things changed at my job as a result of which this has become a more and more important thing).

But events escalated quickly, I had started to buy on margin (3.3% interest rate) and in February the stock price peaked. It was more money than I'd ever seen. By that time I had learned about the HODL mantra, and I saw the stock price drop and drop and drop (of course accelerated by the margin multiplier). Well, I did still have a sizeable paper profit, and life goes on.

That may be, but not for long. Covid came along, and with it the crash. I did reduce the margin a bit. The broker reduced the percentage coverage for the shares from 50% to 30% and being afraid of getting margin called, I sold shares until I no longer had the margin. The stock price kept falling. I had kept tally about how much money I had put in, and this amount was reached on the 18th of March. Fear struck that I would lose it, and I thought that if I sold then I could buy back cheaper. The seasoned veterans on this site knows that this paragraph will end up in tears. I sold all of them (except one), and in the days after I watched the stock price bounce back. I did start to buy in quickly but gingerly. Margin was soon used again and here I am now, with fewer shares and more debt than before, but also with a net amount that I couldn't have dreamt of one year ago, let alone the 18th of March.

Looking back, on that fateful day I squandered my chance of retiring really early. Currently I'm considering a wild idea: Sell my (nice) house, and use the proceeds to buy more $TRSLA shares. Live somewhere cheaply and if the stock price goes up 100% buy a new house and retire a live with modest means but without the stress of my day job which may be affecting my health currently. But in that $TRSLA joke lies the rub. People love certainty. I could close my account and have more money than I would have had otherwise. But it is not enough for what I really want, given my current situation. Having said that, I'm pleased with how things are looking. I AM Tesla. I have a great future and the volatility and uncertainly will subside.

Last edited:
I assume these new videos popping up everywhere will spread the message and be great PR for Tesla.

So far I have not seen any major mistakes, one instance where the driver got a bit scared because the car picked the left lane after having taken the turn and ended up between two lanes and when the car was centering in the left lane the driver thought it would cross over into traffic.

I liked this video the most:
https://twitter.com/i/broadcasts/1YqJDpgRBZOJV
Car driving itself from her home to taco bell

Imo the stock is really under valued atm, probably by as much as it was one year ago. This will sell FSD upgrades, this will sell Teslas, this is proving that Tesla is a serious contender in the robotaxi race.

Just wonder how long time it will take before Europe starts getting any 4D releases(just for autopilot would be great in itself) and when we can start testing out the FSD... I need to drive 15h on autobahn next week and would be nice to have my car maximally safe when I do!

A colleague from Germany claims that by recording and uploading video clips of pedestrians to a server in the US, Tesla is violating privacy laws in Europe (GDPR).

Anyone here share this concern?

He’s saying that local authorities are already looking into that. A number of large corporations in Europe would enjoy doing damage to Tesla.

As long as the video data is blurring the faces of the pedestrians and the license plate numbers, Tesla may use the data however they would like to. Also people should be able to look up the terms and conditions of data usage of the recordings. These are the 2 things required to be done to be able to use video data

The FSD beta looks like a significant leap in capability, but it's still not going to impress the stock market or media until its able to be used essentialy 100% of the time without driver interaction (eg with no driver).

I of course value it NOW as an ever increasing 100% margin upsell product for Tesla - along with everyone else on this board I suspect.

I don't think FSD will impress Wall Street as long as Tesla issues the disclaimer that you must have your hands on the wheel at all times and be prepared to takeover at a moments notice. If you take Tesla at their word that is more stressful than driving yourself.

Once Tesla reaches Level 3 status where you can drive hands off and the vehicle alerts you 10-40 seconds ahead of the driver needing to take over then Wall Street will rush into TSLA.

Sharing some trading knowledge. I've started branching out to other stocks lately in search of the next best thing and realized that I took some quirks of tsla stock for granted.

The one thing I noticed that my positions are so large for small cap stocks that I no longer get insta filled and my trades moves the stock.

If you think about ita a bit. What other stock has such high volume with such high IV and large cap? This truly is a gift to big funds.

Any theories on estimating when (or if) Tesla might slow down a bit and consider offering a dividend? I'm thinking probably zero chance at under 10 years, but I would love to hear theories.
When they stop innovating. (It will then be time to sell the stock.)

Sharing some trading knowledge. I've started branching out to other stocks lately in search of the next best thing and realized that I took some quirks of tsla stock for granted.

The one thing I noticed that my positions are so large for small cap stocks that I no longer get insta filled and my trades moves the stock.

If you think about ita a bit. What other stock has such high volume with such high IV and large cap? This truly is a gift to big funds.

WHY, BUT WHY.

The next best thing is TSLA, and third place: TSLA.

Aren't we all looking for the next TSLA. After extensive research I am currently convinced it is right before our eyes.

It was a crazy complimentary rant. So good.
Cramer is right about everything.

remember when the stock was plunging 8% avec conference call when Musk was calling analysts boneheads.
Now he makes a home run earning calls, stock climbs 4% and it loses it the en the day.
Wall Street should be renamed Fool Street

TSLAQ has their hit squad hard at work:
Tesla Is Losing EV Market Share In The EU, Here's What To Expect (NASDAQ:TSLA) | Seeking Alpha

They completely ignore that Tesla cannot make enough cars to provide consistent shipments to the EU.

I wonder what their story will be when Giga Berlin is up and running and selling every last car it makes to EU clients. . . "Tesla ramp in Berlin delayed" would be my guess.

SMH
You can look at the glass half full side of this BS. With articles like this, my takeaway is that we’re not in the heart of the middle of the Tesla story. That will be when Tesla cash flow is way above potential investment options and dividends start hitting Apple proportions. There might be a wing nut here and there, but the idiots will have found a new growth story to stomp on by then. We have a long growth path in front of us and Tesla 50%+ year over year growth will continue for years.
Keep an eye out for Gordon Johnson and his ilks next targets, their probably great companies too.