Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The real reason is people who decide on this are 60+ years old and full of prejudice and fear of new.
They can state the problems of the new but the do not see the problems of the old.

Attack surfaces you say ... manipulating the elections is easy not matter what... comparing manipulation of paper ballots with mouse clicks is false dilemma.

We have no big problems using electronic money.
Q.E.D.

Ok - now do nuclear launch codes.

Yeah, CNN broke in with their <KEY RACE ALERT> at 04:45 EST. I reported the event here within 60 sec (see my comment timestamp also at 04:45). Your "early source" for Georgia numbers didn't tweet until 04:51 AM EST. So not particularly "breaking" this story...

Cheers!
It's ok to use more than one source. The twitter account is reporting the status of the counting itself. Don't see the livestream from the ballot room on cnn.

Veering into serious OT here but the reason we do not use electronic voting is because of attack surfaces. Manipulating an election is very hard when you have to do it manually, paper ballot by paper ballot. Not so much if it's by a click of a button.

You would effectively be using same design principles for democracy as the Sith did for the Deathstar.

And yet most of us are treating our broker accounts from our phones, in some cases $millions...

In Belgium we have an app called ItsMe - you need to do a one time validation, typically with your banking app, after that it can be used to identify you on all sorts of official websites, including the tax returns. It's super simple and could also be used for voting online.

As it is, voting here, you need to be registered, of course, you get a notification in the mail, telling you where to vote and on what day. You take that paper to the polling station (a local school in my case), you give it to the staff along with your ID-card (which every resident must have), they then give you an anonymous RFID card, you go into a polling booth, insert the card in the machine, then vote with the touch-screen. Results are know at the end of the day, and every citizen has to vote by law.

Veering into serious OT here but the reason we do not use electronic voting is because of attack surfaces. Manipulating an election is very hard when you have to do it manually, paper ballot by paper ballot. Not so much if it's by a click of a button.

You would effectively be using same design principles for democracy as the Sith did for the Deathstar.
OK, we're still on this...Many countries use electronic voting with precisely zero problems. In the benighted third world Brazil we have done that for years and no use biometrics to make it even easier. of course voting is required. Many countries do that. The US simply will not allow any form of national ID nor other definitive security. FWIW, the US does do that with passports, Global Entry is no completely based on face recognition in several places with passport reading and facial confirmation in many others. The bleating about risks is just that. Security nationally is already available. All it needs is national desire for election integrity. Surely the electoral college disappears too...

My last Global Entry in the US a few weeks ago took all of five minutes. My last vote in Brazil took about the same.
My last US vote took two hours, and I thought I was lucky at that.

I will NOT post another politically sensitive post here if I can resist.

NOTE: I am 100% a legal citizen and resident of both the USA and Brazil. I legally vote in both places.

Then you completely missed the point of why I said use blockchain.

Doing something like this in blockchain would be 100% transparent (anyone can inspect blockchain). It's really REALLY hard to manipulate blockchain (even with quantum computing).

I'm not speaking from a theoretical perspective here, as blockchain is something I have been using for about a decade now. Everyone thinks bitcoin when you say blockchain, but that's just one tiny application of the technology.

Again, food for thought, but there are technology solutions that could be brought to bear to at least improve this situation moving forward, and possibly "resolve" problems like what we see now.

The real reason is people who decide on this are 60+ years old and full of prejudice and fear of new.
They can state the problems of the new but the do not see the problems of the old.

Attack surfaces you say ... manipulating the elections is easy not matter what... comparing manipulation of paper ballots with mouse clicks is false dilemma.

We have no big problems using electronic money.
Q.E.D.
We don’t??? You must be really lucky. I sure have.

Yeah, CNN broke in with their <KEY RACE ALERT> at 04:45 EST. I reported the event here within 60 sec (see my comment timestamp also at 04:45). Your "early source" for Georgia numbers didn't tweet until 04:51 AM EST. So not particularly "breaking" this story...

Cheers!
to CNN, every sunrise is "BREAKING NEWS" (punctuated by Blitzer's breathlessly ignoring all punctuation)

I heard a great point made today regarding the election . . .

The central crux of Trump's argument about the election is voter fraud, delayed vote counting, etc.

In the 21st century, why are we still voting on paper ballots? Using something like blockchain technology (my thought) there are SECURE, reliable, rapid and robust ways that we surely should be able to cast ballots, verify a voter's identity as legit, and ensure that results don't take days (weeks?) to be reported.

Food for thought.

In Russia, it is a well known undocumented feature that you have to just nod once while watching state-sponsored TV channel and your vote is counted. As far as I see, US is getting there with mainstream media learning from the best to catch up on that modern technology.