Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm puzzled (which isn't unusual for me)...
Supposedly there is going to be a massive amount of buying fairly soon which should drive up the price. Yet:
- there's massive selling pressure right now
- Tesla decided to raise money now rather than waiting for the stock to pop some more

I could see that perhaps Tesla sold now as an appeasement to S&P accumulators, but the number of shares doesn't seem that significant given what people are predicting need to be bought.

But I don't understand the selling pressure. Why would people be dumping the shares en masse when there's supposed to be a big pop? Unless there's some options stuff I don't understand going on, it seems like the numbers for what needs to be accumulated are very, very wrong.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/09/nyregion/new-york-pension-fossil-fuels.html

45131209-33D2-46C6-875E-2F10B987D588.jpeg

Supposedly there is supposed to be a massive amount of buying fairly soon which should drive up the price. Yet:
- Tesla decided to raise money now rather than waiting for the stock to pop some more

I could see that perhaps Tesla sold now as an appeasement to S&P accumulators, but the number of shares doesn't seem that significant given what people are predicting need to be bought.

But I don't understand the selling pressure. Why would people be dumping the shares en masse when there's supposed to be a big pop? Unless there's some options stuff I don't understand going on, it seems like the numbers for what needs to be accumulated are very, very wrong.
Bunch of IPO's this week, Air BnB, DoorDash. Stimulus delays, lots of reasons for the indices to be down today. Also probably churned through the rest of Tesla's offering today. Buying pressure will resume shortly....

So business is pretty good here. My investment thesis in cars is as follows:

Every employee in my company can have Tesla. I pay €42,000. The governments reimburses 6,000, so cost to me is 36,000.

The employee gets to drive the car. For this privilege the tax charges him taxes on 1/4 of 1% = €105 per month.
Depending on his tax rate this is costing him/her 20-50 € per month to drive a Tesla!

Excellent! I see you picked the best color too! When my wife and I bought our Model 3's in 2018 we gladly paid thousands extra for white (now white is the base color)!

This is how we attract good employees, especially younger ones really like that - boys and gals alike. The girls tell me it is a guy magnet.

That's cool but have you calculated how this might impact the company in terms of maternity leave/expenses over the next several years? :eek: ;)

win - for us
win - for the employees
win - for Tesla
win - for the environment

We charge the cars at our company from our 30 kW solar array combined with 3 power walls (one out of the prior referral program).

Even though you say it is a win for the company, I want to thank you for doing this. :)

The whole thing was epic. How lucky are we all to be witnessing it all?! 2020 will be thought by many as a horrible year because of the pandemic, but from where I sit it’s been a fantastic year in so many ways. That’s just my reality.

“It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, …”

Supposedly there is going to be a massive amount of buying fairly soon which should drive up the price. Yet:

It's a unique event. We're on the cusp of what we know will be a SP surge, but today the SP is at literally $3000. Impossible to sell, but very difficult to buy. Day traders and front-runners can go bananas running SP up and down before inclusion buying, making money in both directions.

Supremely volatile through the middle of next week. Look for opportunities!

Most trading is now computerized. When a correction is signaled due to hitting key technicals, the computer pretty much takes over to minimize losses for the fund managers until it look for strong resistance levels to buy in. Normally when pressure is high from either direction, volume spikes and it's best to just get out of the way. This is why we see flash crashes and sometimes flash recoveries. When you don't see flash recoveries then critical levels haven't met for computer to rebuy back.

Normal buyer and sellers make little difference to stock prices anyway.