Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right, ok, no reason to keep bringing it up though. Its just going to fuel this stupid "Apple is a competitor" BS.
It's not 2016, you don't have to walk on eggshells anymore. Tesla's future is assured. I would be overjoyed if Apple attempted an EV lineup, it would force the legacy carmakers to act even faster or die even sooner.

This is exactly what it smells like, hedge fund fabrication that AAPL is perfectly happy to "no comment". Has there been any indication from Apple there is a car in the works for 2024?

This entire Apple discussion continues to be idiotic. Apple was never interested in buying Tesla. Apple is not interested in manufacturing a car. That is not Apple's business. These rumors have nothing to do with Apple or Tesla -- they are just clickbait and FUD from people who know nothing. Amplifying this know-nothing BS here is just stupid.

Apple, among many other things, has experts in batteries and materials and energy efficiency. Tim Cook, in particular, was and is a master of managing complex supply chains. None of this means they are jumping into any business where those skills make them potentially formidable. As Steve Jobs said many times, and Tim Cook continues to say, Apple's greatest strength lies in saying no. They play around with many technologies and designs and ideas simply in order to understand enough to say no intelligently.

There's no Apple car. Not now. Not in 2024. Not saying never, but the world would have to be very different. Give it a rest. Try to ignore the idiots rather than joining them.

Last edited:
Perhaps Elon was more concerned than many of us thought. I'm glad Tim can't see opportunity.
View attachment 620179

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1341485211209637889

Holy!!!

This is just another reminder of how close Tesla was to the precipice.

I think a big part of the ramp issues was the failure of a contractor's equipment that was to pack the batteries into modules.
For a while all the batteries had to be packed manually, and I have tremendous respect for those that did that, and what a mind numbing task it must have been.

Holy!!!

This is just another reminder of how close Tesla was to the precipice.

I think a big part of the ramp issues was the failure of a contractor's equipment that was to pack the batteries into modules.
For a while all the batteries had to be packed manually, and I have tremendous respect for those that did that, and what a mind numbing task it must have been.

I'm of the opinion, and I've seen it from others here, that Tesla could have raised more funds fairly easily during the model 3 ramp, had they asked. Not downplaying what Elon and the team went thru, but they also didn't get to the point of asking for more money.

so we are to believe that Apple wants to make a car but a few years ago when they had roughly $200B on the balance sheet they were given the opportunity to acquire Tesla and all that comes with it (the brand, the cult following, the tech, etc) for about $60B but dismissed it entirely? even if they thought they had better batteries or their own tech on the way, this would have been a significant head start, right? the nail in the coffin to yesterday's rumor IMO.

It's not 2016, you don't have to walk on eggshells anymore. Tesla's future is assured. I would be overjoyed if Apple attempted an EV lineup, it would force the legacy carmakers to act even faster or die even sooner.

This is exactly what it smells like, hedge fund fabrication that AAPL is perfectly happy to "no comment". Has there been any indication from Apple there is a car in the works for 2024?

Quite the opposite actually(in regards to indications that Apple is close to having a car). There's been lots of evidence from Apple's own job listings and the reports of them scaling down the EV group that was there before at Apple. I honestly think this report was straight up rehashed from the one years earlier and they just made up new "sources " to say it's a recent development. All other signs have pointed to Apple being close to giving up on getting into the EV space.

Like you said, whoever put out the report to begin with knows Apple isn't going to comment on this. It's a win-win for those wanting to create an artificial sell off. And again the timing.....the first day after inclusion date. You can't make that stuff up o_O

This entire Apple discussion continues to be idiotic. Apple was never interested in buying Tesla. Apple is not interested in manufacturing a car. That is not Apple's business. These rumors have nothing to do with Apple or Tesla -- they are just clickbait and FUD from people who know nothing. Amplifying this know-nothing BS here is just stupid.

Apple, among many other things, has experts in batteries and materials and energy efficiency. Tim Cook, in particular, was and is a master of managing complex supply chains. None of this means they are jumping into any business where those skills make them potentially formidable. As Steve Jobs said many times, and Tim Cook continues to say, Apple's greatest strength lies in saying no. They play around with many technologies and designs and ideas simply in order to understand enough to say no intelligently.

There's no Apple car. Not now. Not in 2024. Not saying never, but the world would have to be very different. Give it a rest. Try to ignore the idiots rather than joining them.
Oh this is definitely nonsense, but that doesn't mean there's not a bit of logic in the FUD. Sitting at the end of 2020 I don't think we're anywhere near where I thought we'd be 24 months ago. My assumption was legacy European and Japanese carmakers would be going full speed toward the inevitable EV transition. It's starting to look just the opposite and they're just gonna die out. That's a huge opening for a stylish and deep-pocketed company to fill.

The market relationship would actually be reversed, Tesla would be the iPhone and Apple the Android, but that's not a problem for either party IMO. There's a lot of money to be made in ancillary EV transport and energy services, kicking off an EV as-ran division would actually be smart use of capital for AAPL in my opinion. And it needn't threaten Tesla in any way, the market is absolutely massive. What's the worst that could happen....lose $40B? No problem!

Things are changing, far more rapidly that we imagined in 2017/18 or so when Apple was last talking seriously about EVs. Tesla can't manufacture every vehicle in the world. Someone needs to fill the void left by these foot-dragging permanently fossil-tied companies.....why not AAPL?

Personally, I've been advocating a sale of the automotive business to AAPL since before the M3 ramp. The car business is done, I'd rather Elon/Tesla focus on energy. It's a bigger and clearly more profitable market. Too late now though, Tesla has gotten too big and has too large of a lead on the world.

Quite the opposite actually(in regards to indications that Apple is close to having a car). There's been lots of evidence from Apple's own job listings and the reports of them scaling down the EV group that was there before at Apple. I honestly think this report was straight up rehashed from the one years earlier and they just made up new "sources " to say it's a recent development. All other signs have pointed to Apple being close to giving up on getting into the EV space.

Like you said, whoever put out the report to begin with knows Apple isn't going to comment on this. It's a win-win for those wanting to create an artificial sell off. And again the timing.....the first day after inclusion date. You can't make that stuff up o_O
For those interested in some Apple execution perspective, I HIGHLY recommend the documentary General Magic. Shocked that I'd never heard of this company or what they've accomplished. They basically invented the iPhone in the late 80's, then Apple copied it for the Newton. Fascinating stuff.

Trailer

Sorry for the OT, but I think it's illustrative of what a non-Jobs Apple effort to copy Tesla would look like.

I dream of a day when Tesla would enter the smart phone/tablet/wearables market.With it’s constant innovation in hardware+ battery tech , software superiority and branding will let Tesla rekindle the Tech innovation that’s been languishing in that segment since Jobs’s passing.

And what exactly does one think Elon has in mind for the endgame re: Neuralink :rolleyes: