Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Scientific American - today: Congress Passes Major Climate Legislation in Year-End Omnibus

Excerpt:

Lawmakers agreed last night to phase down hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs), the most significant congressional action on climate change in years and a head start for President-elect Joe Biden’s plans to slash greenhouse gas emissions across the economy.

Perhaps Elon was more concerned than many of us thought. I'm glad Tim can't see opportunity.
upload_2020-12-22_20-53-25.png

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1341485211209637889

This is funny.

What is not so funny and may be indicative of where Apple is today is this: Many variations of Apple’s flagship laptop, the 16" MacBook Pro, will not connect directly to any external display, including their flagship Pro Display XDR, without the fans on the laptop running continuously at full bore even when nothing much is happening.

MacBook 16-inch Fan Noise - Apple Community

So far as I know, Apple either does not acknowledge this issue or dismisses it.

Long ago Apple benefited from consumers’ altruism. Folks, myself included, bought stuff and paid more in hopes of helping Apple succeed. That sentiment has been gone wrt Apple for years.

Folks who buy buffed out 16" MacBook Pros are often the ones doing serious work that directly or indirectly benefits Apple. Alienating these folks is incomprehensibly shortsighted.

Tesla enjoys and benefits from its customers’ altruism because they too want Tesla to succeed. This sentiment is due both to the mission and to Musk’s and Tesla’s employees’ commitment and attitude towards Tesla’s products and customers.

It’s hard for me to imagine Apple’s customers volunteering to help with vehicle delivery.

Although, granted, legacy automakers attitudes towards their customers and vice versa seem pretty low and they haven’t gone out of business (yet); though I wouldn’t give them good odds of succeeding in a new business segment either.

I have to agree with this. I have a MacBook Pro 16" and had an issue with kernel panics overnight, effecting a restart. I went searching for the issue and it was clearly a problem with this new flagship MacBook. Mostly it was affecting those connecting to external display.

Even worse, when people do get issue, the main place to discuss is Official Apple Support Community - which is official Apple support, but they don't respond/interact there at all. So yeah, it's a bit crap.

I hasten to add that I love Apple products. Yes, they're maybe not the leading-edge, but they're very well made, beautifully designed, and the ecosystem is a dream for a father with three kids and a wife to manage...

This is funny.

What is not so funny and may be indicative of where Apple is today is this: Many variations of Apple’s flagship laptop, the 16" MacBook Pro, will not connect directly to any external display, including their flagship Pro Display XDR, without the fans on the laptop running continuously at full bore even when nothing much is happening.

MacBook 16-inch Fan Noise - Apple Community

One of the reasons they are switching to the M1 which is supposed to run far cooler than the Intel chips.

View attachment 620071

Actually the other way around, TSLA is coming for AAPL and others.

In fact, TSLA is Apple's only real competitor.

No other company besides AAPL and TSLA have top assets all in one place:

Design
Manufacturing
Chips
Batteries
Software
Network
Data
AI
Brand
Global Reach
Visionary CEO (sorry Tim, you aren't this)

The cars are just rolling platforms filled with many seeds that will head in many many directions.

Comparing TSLA to other car companies is stupid. Like comparing Apple to Nokia.

Comparing TSLA to the whole car industry also misses the reach of the opportunity.

Tesla is in a very very strong growth position.

Others should be worried...

Home automation. That will be their final battlefield. If Tesla introduces an HVAC heat pump as a Tesla Energy product next year or two, home automation is where Google, Amazon, Apple, and Tesla will compete for growth.

Scientific American - today: Congress Passes Major Climate Legislation in Year-End Omnibus

Excerpt:

Lawmakers agreed last night to phase down hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs), the most significant congressional action on climate change in years and a head start for President-elect Joe Biden’s plans to slash greenhouse gas emissions across the economy.
Translation: Everyone (who needs their A/C fixed) will need to purchase a new air conditioner because the new refrigerant will not be compatible with existing air conditioners.

~~This is an important topic and it DOES need to be discussed. This is not the correct thread, however. I am not going to carve it out, but anyone who wishes to further the conversation must copy this and @Curt Renz’s post and place it in a new thread.~~~

Apple's successes like the Mac, iPod, iPhone, iPad, etc are household names. People quickly forget their numerous failures like Apple III, Lisa, Pippin, Newton, etc. I'm a huge Apple fan but recognize that not everything they touch turns to gold. I don't think Tesla is shedding one drop of sweat over anything Apple is doing. And I think there is NFW they are doing a car.

Then why the hell did he make fun of the bankruptcy rumors with his sign on him leaning on the car. What a joke. Shut up Elon. Keep that to yourself....your past it now.
Perhaps to keep the stock from tanking which results in hostile take overs or high dilution of shares in case of the need for capital?
It's generally a good thing for any CEO to squash bankruptcy rumors even if they are in trouble. And we know they were in trouble. Elon have many times said they were weeks from insolvency.

Perhaps to keep the stock from tanking which results in hostile take overs or high dilution of shares in case of the need for capital?
It's generally a good thing for any CEO to squash bankruptcy rumors even if they are in trouble. And we know they were in trouble. Elon have many times said they were weeks from insolvency.
Right, ok, no reason to keep bringing it up though. Its just going to fuel this stupid "Apple is a competitor" BS.

One of the reasons they are switching to the M1 which is supposed to run far cooler than the Intel chips.
I bought a MacBook Pro with the M1 processor. It's the first Mac I've ever owned. It's amazing. Apple acquired P.A. Semi back in the day because Steve Jobs was already thinking of the next transition after Intel and x86 architecture. ARM will displace x86 in most markets by 2030 in much the same way electric cars will displace ICE. If you like money, position yourself for this transition today.

I sold some of my QS at $120; that share price corresponds to a market cap of $44B, which seems to me a bit frothy for a company not producing product until another 5 years.

Also, shout out to StealthP3D for the heads-up on QS a few weeks ago.

I have 500sh of Tesla that I purchased in March 2016 (100sh @150/sh) when I took delivery of my Model X; the shares are in my HSA account. Long term hold.
For fun, I purchased in my Fidelity taxable account 10sh of Tesla on Dec 8 at 649, 10sh on Dec 8 at 634, and 10sh on Dec 9 at 635.
A little up a little down; today is back to even.
Not sure why I did this, I think I got caught up in the excitement of reading about "couch money" and wanting to participate.
I also bought 100sh of QS on Dec 1 due to postings here. So far up 248%.

Reactions: carterm2
Right, ok, no reason to keep bringing it up though. Its just going to fuel this stupid "Apple is a competitor" BS.
That's short term thing. I welcome Apple to compete. And when they fail, then we can squash any of these "well you know these other silicon valley giants can squash Tesla in a heart beat" sentiment once and for all. Remember even the bulls think the main competitor to Tesla is Apple/Google for whatever the reason. Listen to all those interviews of Tesla bulls..Apple comes up all the freaken time. So time to put up or shut up. And based on the time line, it's already not looking pretty because Apple needs a 600 mile autonomous capable car like yesterday as a prototype just to even be in the conversation.

Reactions: gabeincal
Then why the hell did he make fun of the bankruptcy rumors with his sign on him leaning on the car. What a joke. Shut the **** up Elon. Keep that *sugar* to yourself....your past it now.

Probably because he loses any leverage he has in negotiations. I was not very active as a TSLA investor in 2018 so I guess I don’t know why or how made fun of bankruptcy. But Elon will be Elon. You just take the good with the bad and ignore the noise for the most part.

Elon is obviously a very competitive guy so probably just trying to steal Apple’s false thunder very similar to how he leaked emails about ramping up semis when the whole world was talking about Nikola. You can call it noise, distraction or whatever but either you love him or you don’t.

• Love
Reactions: agastya