Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Happens every 5 years...

View attachment 620100
We are recovered from the first big dip this morning. Would love to see this go green it would restore some confidence across the market

Yesterday’s drop occurred 40 mins till close

That essentially recycled Apple article with follow-on media hysteria may have been just what S&P 500 benchmarking (not index) funds needed to accumulate TSLA at a better price than at the close on Friday. Wall Street is marvelous! Will wonders never cease? :rolleyes:

What if Apple did develop a working FSD program, or other Apple software for vehicles, and wanted to hire the very best EV manufacturer on the planet to produce their vehicles?

Which manufacturer would that be?

Why on earth would Tesla do something like that?

Tesla sell every car they make already so no spare capacity to sell.

If they do make cars for anyone else it would go against Tesla's plan to accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy.

They would either have to look at Apple slowing the transition to sustainable energy by selling more expensive cars. Or give some of Tesla's profit to Apple so that their i-cars could be sold at the same price as Tesla.

And it's a fair chance the cars would be inferior to the current Tesla.

Sounds like a lose-lose situation to me.

What if Apple did develop a working FSD program, or other Apple software for vehicles, and wanted to hire the very best EV manufacturer on the planet to produce their vehicles?

Which manufacturer would that be?
Pretty sure Elon is clear on not ever wanting to modify what they do for any other company. Either they grab something off Tesla's shelf or F off. So I guess Apple can buy a model 3, put the apple sticker they give to everyone when they buy their accessories and retro fit their own system.

• Funny
Reactions: wipster
We’re slowly climbing out of the ditch, covered in blood

E5B1B05B-95AE-49D5-B66E-68E1F92A56B3.gif

Last edited:
Why on earth would Tesla do something like that?

Tesla sell every car they make already so no spare capacity to sell.

If they do make cars for anyone else it would go against Tesla's plan to accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy.

They would either have to look at Apple slowing the transition to sustainable energy by selling more expensive cars. Or give some of Tesla's profit to Apple so that their i-cars could be sold at the same price as Tesla.

And it's a fair chance the cars would be inferior to the current Tesla.

Sounds like a lose-lose situation to me.

Who said anything about Tesla? :rolleyes:

Edit: Knightshade nailed it below. Apple buys the factory design from Tesla, and may also license the components they don't want to design themselves.

Put an Apple logo on it, "With Tesla Inside"

Last edited:
Pretty sure Elon is clear on not ever wanting to modify what they do for any other company. Either they grab something off Tesla's shelf or F off. So I guess Apple can buy a model 3, put the apple sticker they give to everyone when they buy their accessories and retro fit their own system.

What Elon was clear on is the gigafactory itself is a more significant product than the cars made in one.

So- not that I expect Apple would do this- but the smart move would throw some of their spare billions to Elon to buy that product for themselves, which Apple could then use to make cars.

Instead you're either gonna get the Apple car remaining as a rumor for years to come with no actual car... or they'll outsource building something crappy to someone who builds crappy things.

Reactions: 2daMoon
Barron's - 8 minutes ago: Tesla Stock Gets Yet Another Street High Price Target

Excerpts:

Analysts have been playing leap frog with Tesla stock, competing among each other to raise their price targets to the highest on Wall Street. And the pace of those increases is accelerating.

Reports of an iCar this week have analysts and investors debating what a competitor like Apple (ticker: AAPL) might mean for Tesla (TSLA). Without more details from Apple on its electric-vehicle plans, it will be difficult for investors to have an exhaustive dialogue. Still, Wall Street can -- and does -- debate Tesla's valuation.

After upping his target on Tesla stock to $788 Monday, JMP Securities analyst Joseph Osha has the highest price target right now. His old price was $516 and he rates shares the equivalent of Buy...

Osha's new price eclipses Goldman Sachs analyst Mark Delaney's target, who said in early December that the electric-vehicle maker's stock is worth $780 a share. At the time, he raised his rating from Hold to Buy, citing an increase in his assumption for EV penetration rates of new vehicle sales. Falling battery costs and supportive government policies in China are big reasons for his altered thinking.

Last edited:
I can't wait until the Apple Car version of this comes out:

This is funny.

What is not so funny and may be indicative of where Apple is today is this: Many variations of Apple’s flagship laptop, the 16" MacBook Pro, will not connect directly to any external display, including their flagship Pro Display XDR, without the fans on the laptop running continuously at full bore even when nothing much is happening.

MacBook 16-inch Fan Noise - Apple Community

So far as I know, Apple either does not acknowledge this issue or dismisses it.

Long ago Apple benefited from consumers’ altruism. Folks, myself included, bought stuff and paid more in hopes of helping Apple succeed. That sentiment has been gone wrt Apple for years.

Folks who buy buffed out 16" MacBook Pros are often the ones doing serious work that directly or indirectly benefits Apple. Alienating these folks is incomprehensibly shortsighted.

Tesla enjoys and benefits from its customers’ altruism because they too want Tesla to succeed. This sentiment is due both to the mission and to Musk’s and Tesla’s employees’ commitment and attitude towards Tesla’s products and customers.

It’s hard for me to imagine Apple’s customers volunteering to help with vehicle delivery.

Although, granted, legacy automakers attitudes towards their customers and vice versa seem pretty low and they haven’t gone out of business (yet); though I wouldn’t give them good odds of succeeding in a new business segment either.

Last edited:
Barron's - 12 minutes ago: 2 Trillion Reasons Why the Apple iCar Rumors Will Never Go Away

Excerpt:

The story also says Apple would tap outside partners for some elements of the project, including the lidar sensors used in most autonomous vehicle designs. Reuters notes that Apple has previously held talks with Magna International (MGA) about manufacturing a car, but that no agreement was reached. (There's a great history of the never-announced Apple car on Wikipedia.)

Apple has declined to comment about any automotive initiative...

This discussion echoes previous predictions that Apple was going to make televisions, which, of course, it doesn't do. But Apple still has big bets on the future of video, with the Apple TV set-top box and more recently the Apple TV+ streaming service.

Apple analysts are intrigued about the notion of the company taking a more serious run at the automotive market, but skeptical that the company is going to simply start manufacturing cars outright.

Citigroup's Jim Suva thinks this comes down to the difficult economics of auto production. "Apple conducts R&D in many areas, and while we are not surprised to hear the media once again discuss Project Titan for autos, we are very skeptical that Apple will actually produce a car, as auto sector profitability is much lower," he writes in a research note. "Rather, we believe the outcome of this is likely a further push by Apple of its operating system into consumer and enterprise markets."

Evercore ISI's Amit Daryanani likewise is skeptical that you are going to be heading over the Apple iCar dealership anytime soon. "Barring some breakthrough in battery or autonomous driving tech, we see little reason for Apple to enter the low-margin, capital-intensive business of building automobiles," he writes. "That said, vehicles are rapidly becoming computers on wheels, so Apple's background in software/silicon/electronics could be useful if it partners with a company like Magna." He finds it far more likely that Apple sells autonomous-driving technology to others than producing Apple-branded cars.