Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of those times where I look at the stock and am seriously confused for a couple of seconds. "Am I looking at the time? Wait what was the price before?, Did it tank? This number does not make sense!".

I've done exactly the same thing so many times this last year!

If I recall, we pretty much skipped over 700 pre-split, and we didn't spend much time in the 700s this time around either. I think we're getting pretty close to the point where Elon will want to split again. Share price too high again imo. :D

Thought I'd be honest again and share that I sold a bunch of shares yesterday, some this AM, and getting relatively low now. I'm sure the SP is going to infinity and beyond and will never retract, or maybe I'm just not cut out for this. Either that or I have a crystal ball that works quite well.

I figure if we don't share our mistakes, nobody learns. Fact is, I've been preaching to all you people and my friends about HODL. But there's something odd about this runup. I might be a bit early, but this country has not paid the piper yet.

I don't need the lectures, or the cash ironically, but I'm also quite happy where I'm at sitting. I can't imagine not having a correction at this point... and it's Friday! Meanwhile, Max pain is at $745 and SP is $850's... this is nuts!

No shares available apparently with people catching on about Tesla still, simple as that. It's all good and I'm ready to accept whatever happens now. Leave me a seat somewhere.

Oh Mother of Bob!

"This country has not paid the piper yet". This resonates a lot with me. And it's why I think the entire US stock market is in a bubble. But what conflicts me is that maybe Tesla is so special that it need not be dragged down by the rest when a correction comes?

"This country has not paid the piper yet". This resonates a lot with me. And it's why I think the entire US stock market is in a bubble. But what conflicts me is that maybe Tesla is so special that it need not be dragged down by the rest when a correction comes?

When all the money flows out of the “old” stock and into the “new” ones where do you think they’re putting it?

Hint: certainly not XOM.

I may get chased by pitchforks for this, but I would be more likely to buy the Mach E than to buy a Y. The Y is just ugly, and you can't fix that with an OTA update. I have my S if I want range somewhere. All my vehicles have to be attractive to my eye, and the Mach E is a good looking car, with decent enough specs, and decent enough price.

It’s okay, nobody’s perfect.

Here is today's TSLA Tech chart as of 09:30 EST: (Note: Upper-BB at Market Opening was $812.07)

sc.TSLA.50-DayChart.2021-01-08.09-30.png

Cheers!

In the dawn of prehistory (Monday, I think, but I repeat myself) a poster mentioned that TSLA’s all-time consecutive “gain” streak was eleven, which now many have written we tied yesterday.

I’ve no counter evidence, but is there any way anyone can corroborate this? Just asking for a 4PM friend.

Err.....corroborate the “that”, not the “this”, if you like:confused:

"This country has not paid the piper yet". This resonates a lot with me. And it's why I think the entire US stock market is in a bubble. But what conflicts me is that maybe Tesla is so special that our need not be dragged down by the rest when a correction comes?
I think the two can diverge (TSLA/S&P) but they will cross-talk.

Keep in mind folks, I'm 60 and have plenty with the wife still raking in at Intel. If you're not needing the money for a while, just HODL. I keep raising my buy orders as well to start about 20-30 below infinity. Had I not "played" the market in this past year, not touched it at all, it would have been ??? much, much bigger today. I don't wanna know.

Friday!? It's Maxpain day coming home to roost (for those that believe it. I am not trying to convince anyone.).
And here is the question I ask MYSELF, "Will the MM's even try? Or will they just fall back and develop a new "frontline"? Or better yet are their numbers so small and the cost so heavy to fight further on as to have their minds change strategies. And instead become "HODLers"?

EDIT: I wrote this After I saw the Pre-market SP, but before I read any post this morning. I wanted to get it posted before the market opened, and the activities began in earnest. I have seen My thoughts were already on some minds...
Now let me go read.

Over the years I've read many articles along the lines of "If you invested £10,000 in Microsoft in 1982 you'd now be a multi-millionaire". Or Apple in 2000 or Amazon in 2010 etc. etc. You got envious of the opportunities you missed, but the thing is, those gains only held true for investors who held throughout the entire period. They don't work for those investors who baled out because there had been a steep rise in the share price. And how many did actually hold throughout the entire period? Best to be one of the holders and not one of the balers.

09:37 AM EST, 01/08/2021 (MT Newswires) -- Hyundai Motor has backed away from a statement that it is in talks with Apple(AAPL) about a potential partnership to make a self-driving vehicle, Bloomberg reported Friday.

EDIT: Sorry: Appears this is old news. Haven't caught up with overnight data.
Bloomberg post here.

Last edited:
If based on Model 3 chassis, would it have roughly the same wheelbase? That doesn't seem to fit Elon's description of the 3rd gen model (more compact to better fit Asian/European streets).
That was my first thought. The only explanation I could come up with is that sharing the chassis would speed up the release date. That would fit in with what they're saying about the release date but I still find it hard to believe.

My first purchases were more than a half century ago. Massive gains and massive retrenchments do happen, always happen sooner or later. They often have zero to do with the merits of the security in question and other times have everything to do with the security in question.
Relish the gains, survive the drops and always, always, understand the value you perceive in the security in question.

Obviously day trading, market timing and all manner of non-common stock transactions are an entirely different matter. Securities lending is an entirely different topic, and does help defray holding costs, especially for non-dividend paying securities. Margin borrowing, similarly, is often the absolute cheapest way to borrow.

Almost all of us who have been HODL Tesla would have to have a truly massive drop before having our unrealized gains evaporate.
EXACTLY.
I am a noob. I have actually only chosen to buy four stocks in my life.
With TSLA I am up 5x from last January. My view on selling if the stock tanks is, "Why, I am still in the money, and above where I thought I would be a year into it?"