Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Updated market cap history.
  • Over the last 4 years, TSLA has grown at a rate of almost 5x per year
  • TSLA is now worth almost half (48%) of Amazon (AMZN - $1.59 T)
  • TSLA is worth more than a third (35%) of Apple (AAPL - $2.2 T)
  • I've added Royal Dutch SHELL (RDSB) as a legacy energy data point comparison
  • Shell is down 12.5% per year over the last 4 years
  • I dropped Nikola
  • I increased the left axis scale so we see Apple's market cap (but the legacy auto manufacturers are becoming ants!
View attachment 625437

Yesterday's update is out-of-date. Today's revision:
  • TSLA now worth $834 B
  • Over the last 4 years, TSLA has grown at a rate of almost more than 5x per year
  • TSLA is now worth almost more than half (48% 52%) of Amazon (AMZN - $1.59 T)
  • TSLA is worth more than a third (35%) of Apple (AAPL - $2.2 T)
  • I've added Royal Dutch SHELL (RDSB) as a legacy energy data point comparison
  • Shell is down 12.5% per year over the last 4 years
  • I dropped Nikola
  • I increased the left axis scale so we see Apple's market cap (but the legacy auto manufacturers are becoming ants!
upload_2021-1-8_16-9-45.png

I picked up 8 more shares today for my two IRAs. It's hard to buy at such high prices ($874) but I say that every time I'm not able to buy a dip and not willing to 'time' the market to buy the dip which may never arrive. I had the same feeling when I bought at $488 post-split.

Either way, I'm HODLing strong especially since these are IRA shares and I have 6+ years left before I can do anything with them. Time horizon continues to be about 10 years. :D Hopefully this 'higher price' is just a rounding error then.

Do most of you HODLers think it's a good idea to expand one's TSLA position whenever the dry powder is free or do you try to keep some dry powder ready for dips? Maybe a little of both?

Last edited:
Well, that was a fun week.

When I wished everyone 'happy new year' last week, I did not have this in mind.

So many thoughts going through my mind. Yay for us... should have found a way to buy more last year... how far can we pull in our retirement date... kinda hope for a healthy pullback so I can buy more... when should I trade in one of our Model 3s for a Model Y... memories of when I used to look forward to weekends....how great this forum is and how thankful I am to you all...

I don't deride anyone who chooses to sell and take the profits. There is a point in life where enough money is enough and any more gains would simply be superfluous. I'll likely reach that point someday, but for now I'm not planning on selling until 2030 at the soonest.

I might sell a few shares here and there if I need the money, but I've got so many shares that I can easily afford to part with a few now and then. :cool:
As an old guy I will enjoy a portion of these wild gains while I can ... ( and still leave the boys a nice unexpected pile)
alan king survived by wife - Bing video

Last edited:
I have a question: is it possible that when people do sell their shares they can sell them direct to people that they know? If and when it is my time to sell, I’d rather give it to someone here than just put into the world of the whales
You can donate shares directly to charities and avoid capital gains tax.

I think you can also gift shares to anyone that way (up to the $15,000 per person annual gift tax limit) and your cost basis goes with the shares, so the recipient will owe taxes when they sell. I'm not sure about that, though. I am not an accountant.

If this second part is wrong, let me know and I'll edit the post.