Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had to talk myself off the ledge from selling a chunk this morning at $845. The "best investors are dead" ran through my mind and I shut my laptop and went back to fixing electrical things (mostly light fixtures) at the hospital I work at. Now that my investments have reached this level I feel like I should lock in my gains and never worry about money again. This is so distracting. Can someone talk me off the ledge again?

One of my siblings bought TSLA in part because I’ve been so bullish. He had at times, though no longer, asked if he should sell. I told him my four questions for deciding when to sell an investment. If any response is a "yes," then sell (or don’t buy in the first place):

1) Do you consider any of the company’s products, leadership or actions morally deficient? I drink wine, but would not own a winery as I would not like to be part of selling an addictive substance for example.

2) Do you need the money and have no alternative than to sell?

3) Has your investment thesis changed? For example, you don’t believe the company will execute as well as you had thought.

4) Have you found a better investment factoring in capital gains taxes and whatnot?

3 & 4 are interrelated. There are myriad considerations, for example regulations, too. The various considerations might be bundled in different ways into different questions.

For me, these four questions suffice. YMMV, not advice.

Seems like good support at 855. Let's see if it holds(I think they try to close this below 850)

chart looks pretty healthy to me. Nice intraday consolidation on decent volume. If it drifts higher towards close, I’d say this rally isn’t over yet.

I’m all for healthier rallies where there’s clear consolidation

One of my siblings bought TSLA in part because I’ve been so bullish. He had at times, though no longer, asked if he should sell. I told him my four questions for deciding when to sell an investment. If any response is a "yes," then sell (or don’t buy in the first place):

1) Do you consider any of the company’s products, leadership or actions morally deficient? I drink wine, but would not own a winery as I would not like to be part of selling an addictive substance for example.

2) Do you need the money and have no alternative than to sell?

3) Has your investment thesis changed? For example, you don’t believe the company will execute as well as you had thought.

4) Have you found a better investment factoring in capital gains taxes and whatnot?

3 & 4 are interrelated. There are myriad considerations, for example regulations, too. The various considerations might be bundled in different ways into different questions.

For me, these four questions suffice. YMMV, not advice.

Nice! I'll add that in the future, our TSLA holdings could turn into an investment into a sizable fleet of our own robotaxis, or a solar farm, to gain passive income on until they depreciate enough to warrant an upgrade.

Got a Funny from me, but seriously - I've talked to 2 financial advisors with different firms over the last year. I'm not following their advice (sell TSLA, lock in your gains, diversify), but I have learned many useful things from those conversations.

If you're with Fidelity as I am and (apparently) your portfolio has grown large enough, then they just assign an advisor (or whatever they call it) to your account. But whether that's already happened with your broker or not, I bet you can get some free time with a financial advisor to talk shop and get additional ideas.

And yes - you'll get the sell / lock in gains / diversify message.
Just exercising their 'fiduciary responsibility' ... kinda like the message Gordo is trying to tell us :)

/s

Tesla: "We are building multiple gigafactories on multiple continents, employing the largest single-piece castings on a massive scale, introducing unique new cell designs and chemistries, putting the Plaid platform in to production, ramping up to produce the cyber truck and semi, announcing new models, scaling stationary storage significantly, iterating rapidly on solar roof, outpacing everybody else on sigh speed charger infrastructure, and are valued more than the next 10 auto companies combined."

GM: "We designed a new logo!"

This is especially noteworthy when you compare the R&D budgets for TSLA and GM. It's staggering to think what Tesla could have done with the past decade's worth of GM's R&D budget.

Tesla: "We are building multiple gigafactories on multiple continents, employing the largest single-piece castings on a massive scale, introducing unique new cell designs and chemistries, putting the Plaid platform in to production, ramping up to produce the cyber truck and semi, announcing new models, scaling stationary storage significantly, iterating rapidly on solar roof, outpacing everybody else on sigh speed charger infrastructure, and are valued more than the next 10 auto companies combined."

GM: "We designed a new logo!"

GM:
maxresdefault.jpg

I agree with you. However, we will probably buy the Y later this year. But, I want to test drive the Mach E first. I owned am Escape and liked how it looked but one thing I learned about Ford's today is they are constantly needing repairs. If not a repair, they want you in the shop for another update where they try to upsell you on some expensive maintenance item. Since the Y will be my wife's she has final say but we have decided on keeping the Nissan Leaf a little longer or buying a Y. The Mach E drive is more for curiosity. I really don't want another Ford. PS, my first car was a 1966 Mustang.
I say before buying, ask if there are people in the dealership who can fix it. Jag tech had quite the knowledge gap when it came to the ipace. It's not like they see electric cars in their service center...ever.

Kinda funny how this has to close under $850 for THEM to save any face.... actually it has to close under $850 plus whatever they sold the Calls for. SO if they sold the $850 Calls for an average $10 then they are still making money at $859.99 even tho they have to sell the shares.

Not to mention all the Retail that bought $850 Calls and were looking at good profits today just saw all those profit evaporate right before the forced 3pm sell time. This is interesting stuff to watch as I learn more about how the market can be moved around. I am wondering if retail put in their sell orders at 2pm and Robinhood or whoever front ran them to make their profits first. Then at 3pm Robinhood or whoever will sell off all retails and retail makes a lot less profit. Hey it's free trading. I guess you can complain.
Well, looks like they’re losing that game today :rolleyes:

I'm starting to really wonder how big or small the actively traded float is these days. I figured S&P 500 inclusion would lock up a bunch, but this stock is trading like a short squeeze is in progress without any evidence of significant shorting. I don't really know what is going on, I guess 2021 is already going to be more wild than 2020 was. I hope we can at least kill Burry's short before any correction occurs.

Got a Funny from me, but seriously - I've talked to 2 financial advisors with different firms over the last year. I'm not following their advice (sell TSLA, lock in your gains, diversify), but I have learned many useful things from those conversations.

If you're with Fidelity as I am and (apparently) your portfolio has grown large enough, then they just assign an advisor (or whatever they call it) to your account. But whether that's already happened with your broker or not, I bet you can get some free time with a financial advisor to talk shop and get additional ideas.

And yes - you'll get the sell / lock in gains / diversify message.
Same exact thing happened to me from eTrade about a month ago, with the exact same advice. I said thanks but no thanks (and I got the impression he had heard that from other Tesla longs) and I'm obviously damn glad I did! I do notice his name, phone number, and eMail address are featured prominently on my home page there now however.

• Funny
Reactions: adiggs and capster