Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In six minutes, noon EST, this channel Killowatts says they will show pics of the new S. Not sure if true.
Seems like he already spilled some beans under descriptions.

1. New Front Fascia with a larger central air intake vent
2. A front diffuser (only seen as a prototype part in the latest sighting)
3. New fog lamp design
4. New wider wheels and wider fenders to support them
5. Slightly adjusted Side Repeater camera location on those fenders.
6. New Rear bumper design
7. Gloss Chrome Delete
8. No high protruding touchscreen like the Model 3 and Y (screen size & orientation still unknown)
9. New amber turn signal
10. Potentially larger brake disks and calipers

Seems like his pictures are from
https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-s-refresh-plaid-spy-photos

However those pictures are gone.

• Informative
Reactions: abasile and Jovian
In six minutes, noon EST, this channel Killowatts says they will show pics of the new S. Not sure if true.
More here:

Tesla Model S “Refresh” spied track testing | Teslarati.com

tesla-model-s-refresh-plaid-spy-photo-track-649x433.jpg

AP - yesterday: Mine OK'd in Trump's last days may boost Biden energy plan

Excerpts:

One of the keys to President Joe Biden’s $2 trillion clean energy plan could be a mineral that lies in a salt flat above a prehistoric volcano just south of the Oregon-Nevada line.

But the question of how to extract lithium and whether former President Donald Trump’s Department of Interior rushed a mine through the approval process could be an early test for Biden and his nominee for Interior secretary, New Mexico Rep. Deb Haaland...

Lithium Americas, the company behind the mine, believes it can supply a quantity "critical for establishing a strong domestic lithium supply chain required to support a low-carbon economy,” its President and CEO Jon Evans said in a statement.

I for one will be disappointed if that is the refresh in its entirety. Unless the interior is radically redesigned and upgraded I’ll be canceling my Plaid and waiting for the Roadster. This could certainly just be a mule, and I think it is. Doesn’t make sense that they would have cars under cover deep inside Fremont yet be driving the same car around the streets with zero camouflage.

There was a table that I can't find that showed how the ratio of cars/kiosk has been steadily increasing which supports my thoughts that Tesla can not keep up with the production pace regarding superchargers.

So I suspect that the release of the CCS adapter will buy Tesla time to pace the build-out more reasonably. By opening up Tesla's to the public infrastructure could lessen the overcrowding we now experience and eliminate the Supercharger Network as a possible "bottleneck" for Tesla's hypergrowth plans.

I've tracked it for the last few years, but couldn't locate pre-2017 data, cum vehicles per Supercharger connectors:
Q3 2017 = ??
Q3 2018 = 34
Q3 2019 = 49
Q3 2020 = 59
I think they have not been doing the build-out as fast as they need to, and it is time to accelerate. That Supercharger factory in China is well-timed.

p.s. Please could y'all go and do the US-politics someplace else.

Last edited:
A LOT of posts are going to be vaporized when I return home. And if ANY of the offending posters place even ONE MORE political post subsequent to this, they are going on a long time out.
ZERO further warning.

Other mod: I'm home earlier. We are now minus 29 posts and counting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I for one will be disappointed if that is the refresh in its entirety. Unless the interior is radically redesigned and upgraded I’ll be canceling my Plaid and waiting for the Roadster. This could certainly just be a mule, and I think it is. Doesn’t make sense that they would have cars under cover deep inside Fremont yet be driving the same car around the streets with zero camouflage.

100% a mule.....whether there's actual bigger exterior changes or not. Very likely that what's inside in terms of things like battery structure pack, any drivetrain and/or motor updates etc.....are things they're testing out to make sure everything is running well before they spin the production lines back up to higher output.

I expect that the body of the car will be very similar to the current car. But the 'front clip' will not be. You can do a lot in those 10" forward the metal, The new front clip will not be seen until it is officially launched.

Sure, but I don't rule-out impulse-buying a new S/X either :eek::D
It doesn’t hurt to upgrade your X to CCS. Even if you sell it because you buy a new one, the next owner will do the upgrade. Upgrading now will allow you to enjoy CCS charging until you buy your next car. You’ll regret not doing it the next time it would be more convenient to charge at a V3 charger.
BTW: I recently got a quote for my Model S from Tesla, and it’s 3K higher than the one from 6 months earlier. That may just be market prices rising, but in those 6 months my car was upgraded to CCS and MCU2, so it may be that that was taken into account.

I expect that the body of the car will be very similar to the current car. But the 'front clip' will not be. You can do a lot in those 10" forward the metal, The new front clip will not be seen until it is officially launched.

Agreed, I think by far the biggest bang for the buck exterior updated will be the front and back while the bodies for the S/X stay the same.

Reactions: JRP3 and NooB_cat
Fuel cells for cars have been discussed extensively here and the common sentiment is that they are clearly inferior to electric cars. However, I haven't seen much nearly as much discussion about hydrogen with regard to clean energy storage on an industrial scale.

I just read an article yesterday on one of my newsfeeds about an Australian hydrogen home power backup system, claiming to store the equivalent power of 3 Powerwall units, for about the same money. The unit cracked the hydrogen from your tap water, stored it, and then fed it to a fuel cell when you needed backup power. However, the article finally got around to the HUGE downside: at least a 50% loss of power roundtrip! :eek: Also, the unit only has a 5kW inverter, so the output power is only about equivalent to one Powerwall. This is why Elon, and others, call them "fool cells". When you add together the conversion losses on both sides it makes no sense at all.
They also tried to minimize the danger of a fire from a hydrogen leak, but did note that a house fire could be disastrous.

Me and this thread today

zGHQb4O.gif

Just go spend your Sunday watching the Giga Texas site videos :p

I remember a couple weeks back, some thought Giga Texas construction was slowing down. The past 3 weeks has been by far the fastest progress from any of the Tesla construction sites ever, even Giga China at it's fastest point. I'm pretty amazed.