Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry, I translated the article. It didn’t have anything to do with the cars, just about Musk and ethical cobalt :confused:

This mainly has to do with issues surrounding management and operational management,” says Marugg. “In 2018, CEO Elon Musk received stock options worth $ 2.3 billion. This created an enormous liability risk and limited the participation of smaller shareholders. By comparison, Toyota CEO Akio Toyoda earns approximately $ 1.8 million. ”

The US Securities Exchange Commission also accused Musk of sharing non-public information through social media, which negatively impacted Tesla's stock price. In addition, the carmaker was accused of intimidating workers who wanted to form a union and working conditions in Tesla's car factories were said to be very bad. Triodos IM also identified a tricky issue in Tesla's supply chain: Tesla buys cobalt from Congolese cobalt mines, which are known for child labor.

o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

Sorry, I can't resist.

In 2018, CEO Elon Musk received stock options worth $ 2.3 billion. This created an enormous liability risk...

What? So performance-based awards are risky? (Maybe for short-sellers.)

...and limited the participation of smaller shareholders.

What? Limited how? By boosting the stock price?

By comparison, Toyota CEO Akio Toyoda earns approximately $ 1.8 million.

Often you get what you pay for.

The US Securities Exchange Commission also accused Musk of sharing non-public information through social media, which negatively impacted Tesla's stock price.

Yes, the SP has gone straight into the toilet.

In addition, the carmaker was accused of intimidating workers who wanted to form a union and working conditions in Tesla's car factories were said to be very bad.

I accuse you, Mr. Marugg, of pedophilia, necrophilia, and bad breath. There, you read it on the Internet, so it must be true.

Triodos IM also identified a tricky issue in Tesla's supply chain: Tesla buys cobalt from Congolese cobalt mines, which are known for child labor.

Except for mines certified by the Responsible Mineral Initiative and similar organizations, as Tesla requires, which you could learn by googling for 14 seconds.

I'm reminded of the comment by someone (@StealthP3D?) that institutional investors should be called Big Money, not Smart Money.

Last edited:
A typical day for Ark Invest's star stock picker Cathie Wood

"If you couldn’t tell from her 2018 call on Tesla (TSLA) to go to $4,000 in five years, (Cathie) Wood likes being on the opposite side of many in the analyst community.

They're worried about the 30 basis points and operating margin miss,” she says. “We don't care about that, because that's this quarter. We've got our eyes on the prize. It's a five year time horizon. And actually a margin miss is actually for us a good thing. Because what does it usually mean? It means a company has decided to invest aggressively now to capitalize on this opportunity. And we think that's the right thing to do. Those who are not investing aggressively enough — who are buying back their shares, leveraging their balance sheets, paying dividends, leveraging their balance sheets — they're going to be the losers.

LMAO was that a mini-Cybertruck the lady was driving around in the Fiverr ad?

Yup. This is hilarious.

Screen Shot 2021-02-07 at 9.23.49 PM.png

A typical day for Ark Invest's star stock picker Cathie Wood

"If you couldn’t tell from her 2018 call on Tesla (TSLA) to go to $4,000 in five years, (Cathie) Wood likes being on the opposite side of many in the analyst community.

They're worried about the 30 basis points and operating margin miss,” she says. “We don't care about that, because that's this quarter. We've got our eyes on the prize. It's a five year time horizon. And actually a margin miss is actually for us a good thing. Because what does it usually mean? It means a company has decided to invest aggressively now to capitalize on this opportunity. And we think that's the right thing to do. Those who are not investing aggressively enough — who are buying back their shares, leveraging their balance sheets, paying dividends, leveraging their balance sheets — they're going to be the losers.
Yes. Growth, growth, growth. The market is limitless.

If we totally rethink some aspects of freight there are opportunities for optimization.

For example - Supermarket deliveries come in large refrigerated Semi-Trailers as a mixed load. Some of that load is being refrigerated even though it doesn't need to be., We don't think about it, but that load was probably packed at the logistics warehouse and needs to ne unpacked.

If we use Boring Co tunnels from the warehouse to the Supermarket, then freight can travel as individual pallets, with 1-2 pallets per skateboard. Freight can be automatically organized at the destination. No one needs to load / unload trucks.
During the day if stock runs low, it is possible to deliver just a pallet of the missing goods.

A lot of freight delivery can be automated 24x7 as needed. This more efficient "just in time" delivery service should mean the Supermarket can carry less stock in it's warehouse. For refrigerated food, that should mean it is fresher...
Yes.

Ultimately, tunnels and Hyperloops will allow us to refactor the spatial layout of human civilization on Earth’s surface and, done right, will take humanity’s iron boot off of Gaia’s throat. Not sure many people realize how revolutionary applications of Boring technology will be.

You heard it here first. :)

High value, short haul freight applications are definitely low hanging fruit though. Tesla will have a leading role in these too.

Edit: FWIW, it is this kind of thing that makes me reluctant to spend cycles on options.

Last edited:
Elon just liked this tweet. Just strange since it was posted almost a month ago. There’s been a lot of speculation that TSLA may be volatile this week due to unusual options activity. Wonder if this is related?

I’ve got my tinfoil hat on, since I just watched Tommy B waltz into another city, assemble his dark legion, and win another “Big Game”.

On Friday, there was a large put position opened for next week as well as new June calls; that says to me that the puts were sold and the calls were bought. Is that not the going thesis?

But who would open the long side of that put position without it either being a more complex derivative swap, or that they have some inside knowledge that something terrible is going to happen, specifically this week?

Is it because of Elon’s book? :rolleyes:

An NFC team won the Super Bowl. That portends an up year for the stock market averages. :)

This indicator was widely publicized by my regular TV guest and friend Bob Stovall. It was something fun for us to kid about early each year during otherwise serious stock market interviews. WWII veteran Bob left this Earth at age 94 two months ago. RIP Bob. But his good son Sam (a college placekicker) continues the tradition. I'm sure we'll hear from Sam about this tomorrow in his CFRA notes. :cool:

I wonder if it will be as easy to hire skilled staff in Austin and Berlin as it seemed to have been in Shanghai. Berlin has 4M people, Austin 1M, Shanghai 24M. And I assume it was pretty easy to find people willing to relocate to Shanghai to work at the factory, will it be as easy in US/EU?
In Austin and surrounding areas, the cost of housing is really spiking up. Austin real estate is red hot right now. This is not good for those who may want to relocate for positions at Tesla as well as other, large companies growing in Austin. Can new housing be constructed quickly enough to meet demand? Perhaps eventually, but bidding wars seem to be the norm for now. Buying a modest rental house near the Tesla factory was a nice thought, but no thanks in today's market.

What’s the deal with this concerns about the “evil” Chinese and what might do in the future? Hmmmm.... :rolleyes:
The concerns aren't about the people of China, but rather their authoritarian, repressive government. Hopefully, that government will for many years continue to see the benefits of courting Tesla.

I need a little help appreciating Tesla insurance model and upside if someone is willing to explain it... I am being serious.
I got a quote from Tesla that was approximately 30% higher than what I’m paying. Granted, I have both a multi car discount as well as multi policy discount that helps my current price, but I think many do. How exactly is Tesla insurance going to disrupt the industry?
Tesla Insurance has been very fair on our 2012 Model S (no AutoPilot of course), roughly 60% of what Farmers was going to start charging us. For our 2018 Model 3, however, Tesla was in line with other insurers. Tesla doesn't have to cover every vehicle they've sold to start making a significant difference.

An NFC team won the Super Bowl. That portends an up year for the stock market averages. :)

This indicator was widely publicized by my regular TV guest and friend Bob Stovall. It was something fun for us to kid about early each year during otherwise serious stock market interviews. WWII veteran Bob left this Earth at age 94 two months ago. RIP Bob. But his good son Sam (a college placekicker) continues the tradition. I'm sure we'll hear from Sam about this tomorrow in his CFRA notes. :cool:

Although the Pats won in 2019 and my Chiefs won last year and the stock market still did well ...

In Austin and surrounding areas, the cost of housing is really spiking up. Austin real estate is red hot right now. This is not good for those who may want to relocate for positions at Tesla as well as other, large companies growing in Austin. Can new housing be constructed quickly enough to meet demand? Perhaps eventually, but bidding wars seem to be the norm for now. Buying a modest rental house near the Tesla factory was a nice thought, but no thanks in today's market.

The concerns aren't about the people of China, but rather their authoritarian, repressive government. Hopefully, that government will for many years continue to see the benefits of courting Tesla.

Tesla Insurance has been very fair on our 2012 Model S (no AutoPilot of course), roughly 60% of what Farmers was going to start charging us. For our 2018 Model 3, however, Tesla was in line with other insurers. Tesla doesn't have to cover every vehicle they've sold to start making a significant difference.
Not to worry, I live in Austin. It’s all good, there is plenty of everything.... plenty of housing, top talent, ample Mexican free tail bats, music. It’s amazing.

I’ve got my tinfoil hat on, since I just watched Tommy B waltz into another city, assemble his dark legion, and win another “Big Game”.

On Friday, there was a large put position opened for next week as well as new June calls; that says to me that the puts were sold and the calls were bought. Is that not the going thesis?

But who would open the long side of that put position without it either being a more complex derivative swap, or that they have some inside knowledge that something terrible is going to happen, specifically this week?

Is it because of Elon’s book? :rolleyes:

is it just me or is there any powerful shorts that are particularly mad at Elon twisting the knife this last month? Reading Papafoxes thread is fascinating, could this be powerful manipulators looking to stoke doubts?

• Informative
Reactions: UncaNed