Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
upload_2021-3-2_4-9-36.png

Dealer profits surge 48%??? Ahhh... subscription required.
Quite a teaser @RobStark .

My guess is all the people that delayed buying a new car went for more service/maintenance.

Used car sales are also more profitable than new. Customers can't comparison shop identical cars.

I don't buy Autonews subscription.

BTW I posted because of the Mercedes News.

=I believe the "Model 1" will be the large volume "robotaxi" beginning around 2025 and eventually scaling production to 10M units/year (world-wide)

Exclusive: India woos Tesla with offer of cheaper production costs than China | Reuters 7:25am EST

"India is ready to offer incentives to ensure Tesla Inc's cost of production would be less than in China if the carmaker commits to making its electric vehicles in the south Asian country, transport minister Nitin Gadkari told Reuters."​

The ASP of cars in India is right around $10K USD. A $15K Model 1 which is autonomous capable from the factory will be a huge seller. The subscription model "cost/km" fits extremely well with the intended use of robotaxi, and local pocketbooks.

Now if only Tesla had some block-chain technology to run the back-end... ;)

Cheers!

Exclusive: India woos Tesla with offer of cheaper production costs than China | Reuters 7:25am EST

"India is ready to offer incentives to ensure Tesla Inc's cost of production would be less than in China if the carmaker commits to making its electric vehicles in the south Asian country, transport minister Nitin Gadkari told Reuters."​

The ASP of cars in India is right around $10K USD. A $15K Model 1 which is autonomous capable from the factory will be a huge seller. The subscription model "cost/km" fits extremely well with the intended use of robotaxi, and local pocketbooks.

Now if only Tesla had some block-chain technology to run the back-end... ;)

Cheers!
I believe it's best to focus on the energy sector only if they were to go for a terafactory there. Maybe a 2 person transport system that can rival mopeds but people generally like to walk, bike or use very small transportation devices there as there's people everywhere. Maybe some public transportation development under ground with boring could be a thing. I just don't think building cars there will help move the needle on climate change as the country is pretty green since most people walk. However they can really help out by pumping out massive megapacks.

Last edited:
I believe it's best to focus on the energy sector only if they were to go for a terafactory there. Maybe a 2 person transport system that can rival mopeds but people generally like to walk, bike or use very small transportation devices there as there's people everywhere. Maybe some public transportation development under ground with boring could be a thing. I just don't think building cars there will help move the needle on climate change as the country is pretty green since most people walk. However they can really help out by pumping out massive megapacks.
Agree. Start pumping out solar/storage first to accelerate the cleanup/reliability of the Indian power grid, the bolt on vehicle factories as cell supply matures.

Tesla will certainly adjust the monthly subscription fee every few months as subscription data comes in. Elon has shown no issue with making adjustments as data rolls in. Tesla will get it right in time.

Personally, I do not plan on subscribing on a on-going basis (at least initially). I believe most will subscribe only during months they anticipate a need. Local daily travel to me does not justify the costs being thrown about, but I could be persuaded once a full fledged, true LVL 5 FSD is proven. I'll be curious if they incentivize users to buy FSD outright or for longer term (1y or 3yr) subscriptions vs monthly.

Finally, I agree with the poster who noted there will likely need to be a separate personal vs business subscription. Use case differences need to be taken into account for FSD.
It seems like another way to offer this SAAS would be via a small monthly subscription fee ($20-50) then, some amount per mile for when it is actually engaged. More folks who might be on the fence over a higher monthly cost may feel more comfortable with a low monthly fee and actual miles used. In the long run it could result in a higher revenue stream once the accountants do the math on it. Plus, it would make it a smoother transition for those who might otherwise believe they didn't want/need it to experience it and get hooked.

Norway At 79.1% Plugin Electric Market Share In February | cleantechnica

"Norway had a record February plugin electric vehicle market share of 79.1%, up from 68.1% in February 2020. The overall auto market was up 3.3% year-on-year. Best selling models in February were the Audi e-tron, Nissan LEAF and Hyundai Kona."​

Just wait until the March numbers are in. Two ships full of Tesla's have arrived in Norway.

Cheers!

Nio cuts production down to 7500/month from 10k/month second quarter due to chip shortages and battery shortages.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/02/chi...hortage-will-hit-electric-car-production.html

How the F can you not secure enough chips and batteries when you make so little volume? How will battery swapping work if they already have issues securing batteries at this volume already?

Feeling like as time goes on, all these new ev competition has their house of cards falling. Fisker pulls out of solid state, nio can't scale, and Lucid having production delays. Been telling people to becareful finding that next Tesla that doesn't exist.
A lot of the valuation of Tesla actually for the car side resides in actual production, it is difficult to get to scale and to get there with decreasing costs as well. Easy to make prototype models and super low volume but making higher volume is the secret sauce for manufacturing right now. This goes for batteries as well.

It seems like another way to offer this SAAS would be via a small monthly subscription fee ($20-50) ... it would make it a smoother transition for those who might otherwise believe they didn't want/need it to experience it and get hooked.

I hope they keep teasing all customers with montly free-minutes - so that everyone will feel the constant need to have this autonomous thing all the time instead of the first hour every month or so

Norway At 79.1% Plugin Electric Market Share In February | cleantechnica

"Norway had a record February plugin electric vehicle market share of 79.1%, up from 68.1% in February 2020. The overall auto market was up 3.3% year-on-year. Best selling models in February were the Audi e-tron, Nissan LEAF and Hyundai Kona."​

Just wait until the March numbers are in. Two ships full of Tesla's have arrived in Norway.

Cheers!
But...but..Gordo and Anton have PROVEN that sales are falling there!/s

Here is more "proof"

Tesla’s market share in Europe keeps crumbling, as China reclaims top spot in global EV race

They just keep trying...so silly.