Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You're selling here?? That's the only way you could be "losing" money here.

I just bought a few more shares and reserving dry powder in case we get another "wet dream buy opportunity" and I noticed something unusual. Generally, when I enter a market order on Schwab to buy a few hundred shares of TSLA it fills in a relatively small number of separate fills. Generally, the order will fill either all in one fill or maybe two to five fills. But my fill for 300 shares this morning was in a whole bunch of 5 and10 share fills with only one block of 100 shares and the next smallest fills were one of 46 and one of 33 shares. All the rest were 5 or 10 share fills that all filled mid $631.

This tells me there are a lot of small, individual investors selling out of fear at these levels.

Massive raid on retail. Stopped out weak hands and those who over leveraged.

If a person wanted to trim, they should have done so at 800.. not at 620.

Someone correct me. I don't think it has an material impact because Elon's not selling any - so no change to float.
This is what I'm talking about... from the Q4 Shareholder Deck:

Tesla Investor Relations

Our operating income improved in Q4 compared to the same period last year to $575M, resulting in a 5.4% operating margin. This profit level was reached while incurring SBC expense attributable to the 2018 CEO award of $267M in Q4, driven by an increase in our market capitalization and a new operational milestone becoming probable.

Positive impact from volume growth and regulatory credit revenue growth YoY was mainly offset by lower ASP (including price reduction of China-made Model 3 and price reductions of Model S and Model X before the introduction of updated models) but also by a series of notable items. These included a portion of Q4 SBC charges, vehicle warranty accruals, additional supply chain costs, Model S and Model X changeover costs and other items.

Edit: Replaced screen shot with text.

My question is, will the SBC expense decrease in Q1 or Q2 due to the recent SP drop?

Attachments

• upload_2021-3-4_10-53-55.png
    upload_2021-3-4_10-53-55.png
    83.8 KB · Views: 91
Well there's the set-up for a potential double bottom. Let's see what happens.

That may indeed have been the case. The low on 2/23 was $619.00, while the low today was $617.01. Both of those drew extremely heavy trading volume during the minutes surrounding the bottoms. Both occurred during steep opening hour dives followed by quick rebounds. Such a combination of events often signals that a period of significant decline has ended. :cool:

View attachment 641974

Tesla Investor Relations

I don't think it matters. The market cap levels have already been unlocked through $550B. And even TSLA going to $0 wouldn't change that. (There are only the $600B and $650B milestones left to unlock, and the $600B level will likely be unlocked soon unless things drop a lot quickly.) So now it is the operational milestones that are holding back more tranches from vesting. (Which I don't think are really impacted by market cap.)

Tesla Investor Relations

Our operating income improved in Q4 compared to the same period last year to $575M, resulting in a 5.4% operating margin. This profit level was reached while incurring SBC expense attributable to the 2018 CEO award of $267M in Q4, driven by an increase in our market capitalization and a new operational milestone becoming probable.

Positive impact from volume growth and regulatory credit revenue growth YoY was mainly offset by lower ASP (including price reduction of China-made Model 3 and price reductions of Model S and Model X before the introduction of updated models) but also by a series of notable items. These included a portion of Q4 SBC charges, vehicle warranty accruals, additional supply chain costs, Model S and Model X changeover costs and other items.

Edit: Replaced screen shot with text.

My question is, will the SBC expense decrease in Q1 or Q2 due to the recent SP drop?

James Stephenson on Twitter: "Here's a graph showing the stock-based compensation expense for the 2018 CEO Performance Award. This is a non-cash expense excluded from non-GAAP earnings and will not exceed $2.283B over the 10-yr life of the compensation plan. 12 of 69 https://t.co/8Gndgwe8P3" / Twitter

Looks like it sets to decrease regardless this quarter and continue decreasing throughout 2021. So it will be a positive earnings trend from here on out.

Tweet 12 of 69 has the chart which really illustrates just how much Tesla's earnings have been impacted by Elon pay package the last 2 quarters.

Do you all see 550$ in the near future? Maybe I should hold out my last reserves because then I could get 100 shares

(Not advice but) if you have enough cash for 100x$550 shares, purhaps consider selling a Put at that Strike price? Then you get you shares, or you get to keep the cash and the option premium.

Keep in mind, I have no idea what I'm talking about, so paging @Lycanthrope :p

Cheers!

Just did a very Tesla thing. I drove to the tip in my Model 3 to dump some rubble, and there was a really long queue. So I got the marketwatch screen up with the Tesla price and saw it dropping like a stone. I opened my broker app on the phone and funded it to the tune of £9000 (luckily I had my debit card with me as I was also going to pick up a keg of IPA from the local brewery). Anyway, still in the queue, I snapped up 20 shares @ $622. And then watched the price recover all the way home :)
These are crazy bargain basement prices for a company with such a future.

(Not advice but) if you have enough cash for 100x$550 shares, purhaps consider selling a Put at that Strike price? Then you get you shares, or you get to keep the cash and the option premium.

Cheers!

Mar 19'21 $550P are around $12.50 right now with 91.5% IV/0.15 Delta/-$1.01 Theta. May not be a bad move actually if you have credit sitting around.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger

Cheers!
I have no idea how to do options/puts/calls :D I only know how to buy and HODL

Just did a very Tesla thing. I drove to the tip in my Model 3 to dump some rubble, and there was a really long queue. So I got the marketwatch screen up with the Tesla price and saw it dropping like a stone. I opened my broker app on the phone and funded it to the tune of £9000 (luckily I had my debit card with me as I was also going to pick up a keg of IPA from the local brewery). Anyway, still in the queue, I snapped up 20 shares @ $622. And then watched the price recover all the way home :)
These are crazy bargain basement prices for a company with such a future.

You need a Cybertruck, or at least an ICE car for rubbly dump runs.

My (formerly Daily Driver) Landy has done precisely two such trips since I bought my M3 mid-December.

I have no idea how to do options/puts/calls :D I only know how to buy and HODL
Once past St. Paddy's day (my retirement day) I'll embark on learning more about options. From what I've been reading it has a steep learning curve due to all the myriad ways to play the game.

As an alternative, or maybe a parallel, I've been studying Turtle Trading for a some time and feel it could offer another strategy to play with.