Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is selling something like a 600P Jan 22 for 15K a bad idea?

Personally, I've found that spending your margin on DITM LEAP calls while selling weekly CCs against them is a lower risk & higher reward play.

I agree with dl003. IV on the Jan22 600P is only 70.8% so by no means selling high. I personally look for deltas between 0.18 - 0.25 on cash secured puts...and only with short expiry to have the theta god on my side. This is not advice.

Is selling something like a 600P Jan 22 for 15K a bad idea?

Great if it doesn't go below 500. If SP recovers, you will have to be content with 15K profits, regardless of how high SP goes....and cost of PUT might not decrease as expected.(happened to me ..)
However, when SP is low, time to also increase leverage buying calls.
Great idea though if Portfolio is already heavily skewed to TSLA.

Reuters - 3 hours ago: New Caledonia agrees to Vale nickel mine sale, Tesla to be partner

Excerpt:

The deal signed by pro-independence and loyalist leaders in the French Pacific territory also cited a “technical and industrial partnership” with Tesla, under which the electric car company would source raw materials for batteries.

This looks promising. Also in the article:

New Caledonia is the world’s fourth-largest nickel producer.

And from wikipedia:
New Caledonian soils contain about 25% of the world's nickel resources.

EDIT: Also from wikipedia:
Goro mine, is one of the largest hydrometallurgical process plants constructed, estimated to cost $3.2bn, with a design capacity of 60,000 tonnes of nickel per annum. (...) The major share in the Plant is held by a consortium with Vale Inco (of Brazil) holding a 69% share and a joint company called Sumic Nickel Netherlands, Japan's Sumitomo Metal Mining Co. Ltd., and Mitsui Co. Ltd., holding 21%.share. However in 2020 Vale is in the process of selling all of its interest to New Century mining.

This seems to be the place. Now we have to find out how many car batteries 60,000 tonnes of nickel can make and what share Tesla is getting...

EDIT 2:
“For those who don’t know there’s 50kg of nickel in that [Tesla] battery,” Mincor Resources (ASX:MCR) boss David Southam told attendees at the WA Mining Club’s monthly luncheon on Thursday.

So 60,000 tons would be enough for 1.2 million cars. Not too shabby. Still have to keep in mind that this is design capacity and we don´t know if Tesla gets all of it, but gives a general idea.
Fun fact - a single Tesla battery needs 50kg of nickel... and we'll have to find a crapload more - Stockhead

Last edited:
Personally, I've found that spending your margin on DITM LEAP calls while selling weekly CCs against them is a lower risk & higher reward play.

I sell bi-weekly calls against my DITM leaps. My goal when they get close to expiration is to have a $0 cost basis calls, if I haven't sold by then.

Last edited: