Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
upload_2019-3-11_3-22-57.png

Ghost of 1989 Teamsters takeover haunts UAW

The FUD machine is rolling hard on the price increase in Germany!

Just flashed across the N-TV screen here: Tesla cars price increasing. Blah blah blah....

N-TV is a German language Network Station, Part of the RTL Group.

There was no news made of the recent store closings and price decreases......

FUD in “Print“ media is also strong.

Last edited:
Just to inform the wider TMC investor community about the latest TSLAQ lie propagated by Mark Spiegel.

In his latest update Trip Chowdhry was talking about U.S.-only Model 3 Q1 delivery numbers of 30k - which is in line with Alpha Hat estimates:
I guessed as much also. But do you know this for a fact? Do you have a link or have you read the actual report? The article from streetinsider didn't specify US only.

Regardless, if it is worldwide/total M3s, I don't buy it. Trip is trippin'

I cant remember the time when Tesla was quiet, that it turned into a positive surprise.
Positive stuff gets leaked, or announced by Elon, silence turns into a bad news; that is my recollection from the last 4 years
Given that today is the day for the response, the judge hasn't likely even seen it yet, so regardless there wouldn't be anything to say.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Firstly, how do you evaluate customer reaction, without telling customers?
Remember we're talking about completely spoiling the long awaited $35k model release. That's the absolute worst time I can imagine to toss in that stores closing tidbit that wasn't even fact-checked for feasibility in the first place.
Tesla needs way better Elon-Whisperers. I'm available.

Reactions: Matias and neroden
Interesting piece of Q1 Tesla sales data from Canada:

Tesla sold ~4,700 vehicles in Canada in January and February, 10x as many as in the first two months of 2018 - despite the very cold weather that has hurt almost every other car brand's sales.

We need to add this to the 30k North American deliveries of Alpha Hat.

Canada is in North America.

How to get to a 100% electric future?
1st, visualize it, then popularize it, then communicate it emphasizing _NO_ _ONE_ get left behind
then popularize it more and communicate it more on venues many listen to

It's 2050 And This Is How We Stopped Climate Change
"...
When NPR interviewed Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortes in February about her Green New Deal, she said that her goal was bigger than just passing some new laws. "What I hope we're able to do is rediscover the power of public imagination," she said.

Well, we're unleashing our imagination and exploring a dream, a possible future in which we're bringing global warming to a halt. It's a world in which greenhouse emissions have ended.

So — what does this world look like?.."
2019: I went looking for people who've mapped out this world without greenhouse emissions. I found them in Silicon Valley.
"........Her coffee machine is powered by solar panels on the roof. So is her laptop and her wifi.
"Everything runs on electricity in this house," she says......."
(((("...
This is the foundation of a zero-carbon world: Electricity that comes from clean sources, mainly the sun and the wind, cheap and increasingly abundant.

Today, it powers this house; tomorrow, it could drive the world.

Last year, Kiliccotte quit her job at Stanford University and launched a startup company, eIQ Mobility, helping companies replace their fleets of vehicles, such as delivery vans, with electric-powered versions.

"In order to have impact, timely impact, I figured that I need to leave research and focus on impactful things that I want to do. And fast," she says.

It has to happen really fast. ..."

52720893_10216974843517507_4531282886321504256_o.jpg

(Audio version available later today)
The "red shift is accelerating" and the S curve is getting steeper, the future went past so fast it left us spinning like a top

Last edited:
However I expected a decline in international deliveries per Tesla's normal cadence. Has that changed and are ships still being filled even though end of qtr deliveries especially to Europe by the end of the qtr are unlikely? I think this one-time inventory cost may be a critical feature of Q1 but will be positive thereafter.

No new ships. But I'm pretty confident that they've sent enough to at least last them through the end of the quarter. Deliveries take time.

iPhone 3 was my first smartphone. That quote was about the time iphones went mainstream. I’ll interpret his pessimism as a sign model 3 sales are about to take off.

Chowdhry has been a long-term Apple bear, so Apple investors have a long list of similarly hilarious quotes from him. They call him "Claim Chowdhry" ;)

Tesla "we'are closing stores". TMC: brilliant
Tesla "We'are not closing stores" TMC: "Outstanding move"

Reality:

Tesla "we're closing stores".
  • Group A at TMC: Brilliant!
  • Group B at TMC: BOO!
Tesla "We're not closing stores"
  • Group A at TMC: BOO!
  • Group B at TMC: Brilliant!
Who do you see here who's changed their mind?

For the record: I'm of the view that I wish they'd broken the news more slowly, and should have spelled explicitly a form of non-purchase test drive availability, but apart from that, I do support closures. They're a huge drain on the balance sheet, and the first stages of "selling" (looks, feel, etc) a Tesla are just as readily done through a minimally-staffed gallery or simply friends/family/coworkers/etc.

Maybe Elon has understood this and sends a trojan horse of bad news so the media report it. The downside is a temporary drop in SP but long term millions more are aware of Tesla.

Reminds me of a friend I had back in school. He grew up in a very conservative Lutheran denomination, and his parents would have pretty much disowned him had he switched over to a more liberal Lutheran denomination. So instead he became a Mormon. Then his parents basically disowned him. Then, months later, he switched back to being a Lutheran, but joined a more liberal denomination.

His parents bought him a car ;)

The FUD machine is rolling hard on the price increase in Germany!

Just flashed across the N-TV screen here: Tesla cars price increasing. Blah blah blah....

N-TV is a German language Network Station, Part of the RTL Group.

There was no news made of the recent store closings and price decreases......

FUD in “Print“ media is also strong.

Well, ignoring the fact that it's not clear what impact if any it'll have on European prices.... flashing headlines, "X just had a huge discount, but will be raising their prices a week from now!" isn't exactly bad for sales. Normally you have to pay to get those kind of messages out. ;)

Last edited:
Here is the UK, seeing lot's of billboards with Audi pushing their electric cars. Funny to think they wouldn't be doing this for years if Tesla hadn't forged ahead.

Problem is, and with all other legacy auto, they have to still pump capital into their ICE products and try and time their move to solely electric perfectly.

I guessed as much also. But do you know this for a fact? Do you have a link or have you read the actual report? The article from streetinsider didn't specify US only.

Regardless, if it is worldwide/total M3s, I don't buy it. Trip is trippin'

Well, I based this from the wording StreetInsider report that he is talking about U.S. demand only:

"He is reducing Model 3 Deliveries estimates to 30,000 units, down from previous estimates of 60,000 Units. He is reducing Model S/X Deliveries estimates to 18,000 units, down from previous estimates of 23,500 Units. Chowdhry said the price reduction is not stimulating US Demand."​

But I think you are right that he is talking about global demand - the context of S/X deliveries is clearly global.

So my interpretation of Chowdhry's is most likely wrong. :confused:

BTW., the far more important Tesla news today is this one from China:

Tesla in talks with China's CATL for rechargeable batteries: Bloomberg

(Reuters) - Tesla Inc is in discussions with Chinese battery maker Contemporary Amperex Technology Co Ltd (CATL) for ordering rechargeable batteries to power its Model 3 cars, Bloomberg reported on Monday, citing people familiar with the matter.

CATL has been in talks with Tesla officials about the required specifications for the batteries, according to the Bloomberg report, which added that there was no guarantee that an agreement would be reached.​

I'm wondering whether this was a 'requirement' by China for the Shanghai Gigafactory, or whether it's a high-stakes poker game with Panasonic?

Well, I based this from the wording StreetInsider report that he is talking about U.S. demand only:

"He is reducing Model 3 Deliveries estimates to 30,000 units, down from previous estimates of 60,000 Units. He is reducing Model S/X Deliveries estimates to 18,000 units, down from previous estimates of 23,500 Units. Chowdhry said the price reduction is not stimulating US Demand."​

But I think you are right that he is talking about global demand - the context of S/X deliveries is clearly global.

So my interpretation of Chowdhry's is most likely wrong. :confused:

Kindly put. My interpretation of Chowdhry is that if he meant 30k for the US he's too low, and if he means it for the entire world, he's lost his freaking mind. Same for his notion that there's a less than 2:1 M3-to-S+X sales ratio.