Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Correct, at another tech company now

A few questions if you don’t mind. Feel free to PM.

1. Can you trade TSLA if you’re an employee?
2. Can you not post here at all if you’re an employee?
3. What’s the employee discount? I’ve heard 15%.
4. Vacation time?

Curious of any and all answers.

There’s a Tesla center 5 minutes from my home and a gallery at a fancy mall about 30 minutes away. I currently have a job working from home for a great company with great people but my function isn’t particularly interesting. I’m there primarily as it provides an incredible work/life balance allowing me to spend tons of time with my 6year old son. My childhood sucked so I’m making up for it now. I’m not interested in promotions as I don’t want more responsibilities nor increased travel.

Anyway....my enthusiasm for Tesla knows no bounds and, thanks to many of you, my knowledge in areas Tesla related is tremendous. Several people have told me I should work for Tesla and well maybe they’re right. I’m fortunate in that I don’t need a large income, just good benefits. When I consider the employee stock purchase program and that all my major upcoming expenses for the next five years are made by Tesla [Powerwalls, HVAC, Cybertruck, Roadster] maybe it makes sense. The only negative is no longer working from home and I probably won’t be able to spend Summers in our new home in NH, though commuting up for the weekend will be fun.

Thoughts from the hive mind?

(hint: it's that first one- the timing, the absence of the HW at all in the S/X, the computer code, the actual capabilities of the camera, and the CEO of the actual company have all told you that already- you just refuse to believe them )

It is always likely that the camera was intended as part of a passenger supervision system for Robo-Taxis.

However, when a car has a camera, it can be used to help monitor whether or not a driver is paying attention.

For FSD, regulators will ultimately decide that the driver doesn't need to be monitored, and that there doesn't need to be a driver. The camera then reverts to being a passenger supervision system.

For the FSD Beta Tesla is framing the rules, maybe a car needs a camera to be in the Beta?
Ultimately it doesn't matter the Beta is a temporary step, driver monitoring via the camera is not required for FSD, unless regulators decide there is some interim step, where FSD is allowed with driver supervision.

Letting a car participate in the Tesla network without passenger supervision by a camera, is a decision for the owner.
It may depend on where that owner lives, their income level, risk tolerance and insurance coverage.

Reactions: bpjod
It is always likely that the camera was intended as part of a passenger supervision system for Robo-Taxis.

However, when a car has a camera, it can be used to help monitor whether or not a driver is paying attention.

Absolutely.

As I say now that the EU is now going to require such a system, and Tesla has potentially managed to get one working using HW not originally meant for it such that they already have one without additional cost beyond some SW development, is a great credit to the cleverness of their team.

For FSD, regulators will ultimately decide that the driver doesn't need to be monitored, and that there doesn't need to be a driver. The camera then reverts to being a passenger supervision system.

For the FSD Beta Tesla is framing the rules, maybe a car needs a camera to be in the Beta?
Ultimately it doesn't matter the Beta is a temporary step, driver monitoring via the camera is not required for FSD, unless regulators decide there is some interim step, where FSD is allowed with driver supervision.

Letting a car participate in the Tesla network without passenger supervision by a camera, is a decision for the owner.
It may depend on where that owner lives, their income level, risk tolerance and insurance coverage.

So a few things here... the first is "FSD" isn't a thing to the government or regulators. SAE levels are at this point though.

The EU at least has said they're going to require driver attention system for anything where the car isn't fully autonomous (L5) all the time

Essentially they're saying "If there is any mode where the car might be driving but the human MIGHT have to take over, we need a system to insure they're aware and able to"

So for the EU at least it's going to need such a system as long as Tesla includes a steering wheel, even if they get to L5 capability.

Now the US is a very different story.

If Tesla had "finished we are sure it's good today" L5, they could release it- legally- today

It's already legal in a number of US states- explicitly so. Examples from various state laws have been provided in the past when this red herring objection has come up.... but in most cases it pretty much says "If the car can drive itself and obey all the same laws as a human, it's legal. Right the heck now."

No driver monitoring required at all.

The question is- and what the NTSB is hounding the NHTSA about- is federal regulation of autonomy and driver monitoring.

Currently there is none. Some non-binding guidelines, and everything actually legal is at the state level.

That puts Tesla (or anyone) who did have an L5 consumer-vehicle system in a weird spot as they'd have to geo-fence their systems not because they're not capable of driving into another state- but because it might not be legal for them to.

50 different versions of autonomy rules would already be a mess... add 50 different states versions of driver monitoring rules it gets even uglier.... so ideally NHTSA gets around to some ACTUAL official rules, but they sure seem in no hurry.

Was just looking through the new X images and noticed the below. Didn't see air quality metering mentioned anywhere before - perhaps it's via public internet data but it's interesting to see it being included on the cars and more than likely being used as input for the HEPA filtration system...

Screen Shot 2021-03-14 at 8.46.28 PM.png

Was just looking through the new X images and noticed the below. Didn't see air quality metering mentioned anywhere before - perhaps it's via public internet data but it's interesting to see it being included on the cars and more than likely being used as input for the HEPA filtration system...
Good catch. That's awesome.

There are a number of sensors placed throughout the world to monitor air quality by various companies. My company subscribes to data feeds from some of those companies. Our data dorks (no offense @ZeApelido) are making *amazing* correlations between air quality and health events and we're starting to create interventions for people that are, say, exposed to a spike in PM 2.5 because they live close to a bus stop.

Will happily discuss this more over PMs.

View attachment 644532
Good eye mate...So cool!
This would conceivably be included for all vehicles in the new UI. Right?

Last edited:
A few questions if you don’t mind. Feel free to PM.

1. Can you trade TSLA if you’re an employee?
2. Can you not post here at all if you’re an employee?
3. What’s the employee discount? I’ve heard 15%.
4. Vacation time?

Curious of any and all answers.

There’s a Tesla center 5 minutes from my home and a gallery at a fancy mall about 30 minutes away. I currently have a job working from home for a great company with great people but my function isn’t particularly interesting. I’m there primarily as it provides an incredible work/life balance allowing me to spend tons of time with my 6year old son. My childhood sucked so I’m making up for it now. I’m not interested in promotions as I don’t want more responsibilities nor increased travel.

Anyway....my enthusiasm for Tesla knows no bounds and, thanks to many of you, my knowledge in areas Tesla related is tremendous. Several people have told me I should work for Tesla and well maybe they’re right. I’m fortunate in that I don’t need a large income, just good benefits. When I consider the employee stock purchase program and that all my major upcoming expenses for the next five years are made by Tesla [Powerwalls, HVAC, Cybertruck, Roadster] maybe it makes sense. The only negative is no longer working from home and I probably won’t be able to spend Summers in our new home in NH, though commuting up for the weekend will be fun.

Thoughts from the hive mind?
Happy to talk offline; DM me.

And it sounds like you've got time with family now and that would be much harder at a company like Tesla.

1. Yes, not during quiet period though around earnings, this is consistent with other companies
2. No way, unless approved by Elon, kinda like our old friend George B
3. None
4. Depends and varies. If a new engineer, I'd strongly advise not taking off time until after a full year or after several 100+ hour weeks. It's not in the culture. Just my advise and not the advise of the company. Have you read Liftoff yet? You'll get a good idea of what life might be like at Tesla.

Any particular reason why you left?
Everyone has their limit and I think most people on this thread know how much I love Tesla and the mission. I've held all my shares and continue to help others wade through the FUD. I may go back when my kids are grown.

Good catch. That's awesome.

There are a number of sensors placed throughout the world to monitor air quality by various companies. My company subscribes to data feeds from some of those companies. Our data dorks (no offense @ZeApelido) are making *amazing* correlations between air quality and health events and we're starting to create interventions for people that are, say, exposed to a spike in PM 2.5 because they live close to a bus stop.

Will happily discuss this more over PMs.
It’s more likely a partial sensor placed in ac air intakes.
Our old ICE car has one and it would automatically switch to inside air loop if we are stuck behind a rolling coal plant, pretty nice feature. Internet data won’t solve this.

:oops: Liftoff! level of work is Plaid+! Surely Tesla these days is only Ludicrous?
I hope so, but I doubt it and I was constantly amazed how Elon was always working more hours than many of my engineers. It's fun reading Liftoff as I don't feel so bad now about how much he pushes his teams.

Taxes on $TSLA gains of 740% last year will likely result in large taxes due for many investors, on April 15th, even though many investors pay estimated taxes quarterly. Are there echos, or indications of shares being sold in the market for these events? Are we headed for weeks of stock selling for tax payments over the next four weeks? Is money flow good for tracking this and if so, where can I find records of money flow for TSLA?

Taxes on $TSLA gains of 740% last year will likely result in large taxes due for many investors, on April 15th, even though many investors pay estimated taxes quarterly. Are there echos, or indications of shares being sold in the market for these events? Are we headed for weeks of stock selling for tax payments over the next four weeks? Is money flow good for tracking this and if so, where can I find records of money flow for TSLA?
Who sold? You only owe taxes if you sell. And if you’ve been day trading and not setting money aside for taxes ahead of time I hope this 33% drop was the only time you need to learn that lesson.

Tesla has this patent application dated 2018. This was way before Elon confirmed a tweet saying that the cabin camera is mostly for robotaxi rider surveillance.

One of the embodiments in that patent application describes the use of Machine Learning to monitor driver's state of distress using driver's body language, seating position, eye movement, body movement etc:

In accordance with an embodiment, the in-vehicle electronic device 114 may be configured to monitor, by use of the image-capture device 112, a plurality of defined metrics related to the driver, such as the first user 116A, of the vehicle 102. The plurality of defined metrics related to the driver of the vehicle 102 may include, but are not limited to a facial position, body language, a seating position, eye movement, body movement, health parameters, and a tone, or pitch of driver's voice. The in-vehicle electronic device 114 may detect a state of the driver of the vehicle 102 based on the analysis of the plurality of defined metrics. The in-vehicle electronic device 114 may be configured to utilize a machine learning system to detect if the driver is in normal state or in a distressed state when a sudden deviation in the plurality of defined metrics is detected. For example, based on historical data related to driver (such as the identified first user 116A), a baseline behavior, body language, seating position, eye movement, body movement, health parameters, and the tone, or pitch of driver's voice may be established as regular and tagged as normal. Thus, when a sudden deviation or anomaly in the plurality of defined metrics is detected, the in-vehicle electronic device 114 may generate and communicate a driver emergency alert signal to the vehicle audio system for output. The vehicle audio system may be activated and an audio alert, (e.g., “Are you OK, or shall I alert emergency services?”) may be outputted via one of the plurality of speakers of the vehicle audio system. This may occur when the driver is suspected to be in distressed state. Thereafter, the in-vehicle electronic device 114 may be configured to activate an emergency response (ERS) mode in the vehicle 102. The in-vehicle electronic device 114 may be configured to communicate a health emergency alert signal to the medical emergency center 106 if no response is received from the driver within a user specified or pre-defined time period. The health emergency alert signal may be referred to as emergency call systems, or simply eCall. eCall is an emergency response system known in the art. Typically, when vehicle crash sensors are triggered, the eCall system detects that the occupants are in distress and automatically calls emergency services to alert of possible injuries. The eCall system also transmits vehicle location (e.g., GPS coordinates) to the medical emergency center 106 (e.g., an emergency response team).

Position of the camera #112 :

1615787755653.png

Patent application also describes other utilities such as
  • Detect driver size and position for driver personalization
  • Face detection for driver personalization
  • Detecting occupant positions for optimizing HVAC, audio etc.
These seem to be the original intents of the cabin camera. Although, none of them have materialized as features - yet.