Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Y: we really do give you 110%*
*relative to the 3

Even better: Why is the Y better than the 3? This one goes to 11.

giphy.gif

24 hour? Starship is Earth-to-Earth in 30-60 minutes! Combine with Loop/Hyperloops for remote distribution..... ;) Hmm, what's the fastest you could do it.... maybe 30 minute Loop/Hyperloop trip from the source to the nearest rocket taking your desired route, half hour cargo loading time, 30-60 minute flight, half-hour unloading, half-hour Loop/Hyperloop from the rocket to the destination... 3 hour point-to-point global delivery! ;)

Yeah, we're talking way in the future ;)

Ahaha, you laugh but the obvious 1st application is a boring tunnel from Fremont to the Port of SFO through which FSD Tesla cars drive themselves directly from the factory gate onto the waiting ship.

Sans labor expense. :D

Cheers!

Model Y will be the real money maker for Tesla. Mark my words.I bet they've designed it with lessons learned from the M3 and it costs less to manufacture than the 3 and they can charge more money for it.

Model 3 is good but people love their crossovers. If Elon thinks that the M3 has a global market of around 500k, then the MY is probably ~1m.

S3XY + Truck and Roadster takes Tesla to BMW size (2m in sales and $100 billion in revenue) by 2022-23, IMHO.
Aren't crossovers mostly a US thing? I definitely agree that they will sell like hotcakes here in the states. Sedans are dying here.

• Disagree
Reactions: Jovian and RobStark
Do we think TSLA will react similarly to the Model 3 reveal for the Model Y reveal?

View attachment 385263
Depends how compelling the presentation and emotional traction of model Y's features, range, charge times and price.

IMHO, if "something else" is vehicle to grid capability, that would be a huge step towards accelerating the transition to renewables. It's my personal pet desired feature.

• Funny
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Ahaha, you laugh but the obvious 1st application is a boring tunnel from Fremont to the Port of SFO through which FSD Tesla cars drive themselves directly from the factory gate onto the waiting ship.

Sans labor expense. :D

Cheers!
To a ship? Why not just have SpaceEx place them into low Earth orbit and have them deploy to your house when you purchase?
Depends how compelling the presentation and emotional traction of model Y's features, range, charge times and price.

IMHO, if "something else" is vehicle to grid capability, that would be a huge step towards accelerating the transition to renewables. It's my personal pet desired feature.
You mean allowing the grid to pull power from your car? That's a HUGE thing for the system but I doubt car buyers would even understand the concept.

Tesla's Elon Musk vs. the SEC: Did he violate a court order?

Video mostly about recent SEC mess. Guest judge and others not as well informed as they should be about the situation. However, verdict from judge panelist: elon won't do jail time, likely to get a fine, possibly have further restrictions placed on his use of Twitter.

Further in video, one of the panelists says she's rooting for Tesla and asks "who isn't?" Kind of surprised me. Then joe rogan pot smoking+spacex security clearance came up. Guest judge brings up how it's funny since marijuana is soon to be legal everywhere...not what I was expecting from fox!

Tesla in talks with CATL for GF3?
But why?
They have the IP on the chemistry. Panasonic makes the cilinders and Tesla puts them in packs.
Tesla is buying Maxwell for the IP concerning the mixture and also the related manufacturing methodes for the dry-electrode which increases production efficiency by skipping drying time/usage of solvents/...with a proven energy density of +250Wh/kg

If the goal is to have an output of 3000cars/week in GF3 for 2020, isn't it more logical/cost efficient to implement Tesla's/Maxwell tech to produce the cells instead of buying them from a new vendor? Or ship 2170 cells from GF1 to China to compensate any ramp problems in cell production?

• Informative
Reactions: shootformoon
Man, instead of being worried, you should really try to get more info and get your head cool.

I'm just filling time on a train ride my good man, I'm not losing my head.

100 per day for Norway is current delivery rate. You can’t just divide 1900 by 8 weeks to get 230/week. There are no delivery in January and Tesla is gradually delivery inch more every week. Seriously man, if you are a TSLA investor, you should not know so little.

Ill-informed comments here deserve a pounding, given this is the investor thread, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, even if your use of a double negative is somewhat disturbing. However, you might want to consider the context of how I got into this conversation, which was about media bias.

I'll save you the trouble of going back 30 pages to find it, but the context was this: In response to a comment about the 'Tesla-hating media" I simply said that the media hasn't jumped on the (I'm paraphrasing) superficial information that Tesla's sales have dropped 80%. If the media was all controlled by short-selling morons, that would be the headline. It's not.

I never said it's a fact that sales have dropped 80%, only that if you wanted to spin it that way, you could, just like Arstechnica has...

Elon Musk’s late-night announcement to raise prices and reopen some stores

Ars said:
What is clear is that Tesla sales in 2019 have been disastrous. InsideEVs, a publication close to Tesla, tracks US electric vehicle deliveries, and, according to its numbers, January and February deliveries were down by around 80 percent compared to the months leading up. Although Tesla said it would concentrate on making up volume in Europe and China, neither of those markets appear able to take up the US' slack.

But why?
They have the IP on the chemistry. Panasonic makes the cilinders and Tesla puts them in packs.
Tesla is buying Maxwell for the IP concerning the mixture and also the related manufacturing methodes for the dry-electrode which increases production efficiency by skipping drying time/usage of solvents/...with a proven energy density of +250Wh/kg

If the goal is to have an output of 3000cars/week in GF3 for 2020, isn't it more logical/cost efficient to implement Tesla's/Maxwell tech to produce the cells instead of buying them from a new vendor? Or ship 2170 cells from GF1 to China to compensate any ramp problems in cell production?

China factory will be producing mostly (or entirely) SR models, so having the highest tech isn't as necessary.

Reactions: humbaba
You mean allowing the grid to pull power from your car? That's a HUGE thing for the system but I doubt car buyers would even understand the concept.
It needs to be explained properly. 20% (or some number, but 20% is probably about right from what I've read) off your electric bill if you sign up for the car/grid option. That's about $300/yr for a 1500 kW monthly average. Not nearly as good as the carbon fee + dividend, but enough to make quite a few people take it.

Long, long, looonnng term it is assembled in orbit using solar power and metal from asteroids, and dropped right to your location. :D

At risk of getting too off topic, I had a friend who worked as a Russian translator for the US military back during one of the nuclear disarmament treaties... think it must have been SALT II or something like that. Both sides sent inspectors over to ensure that the agreed-upon weapons were actually being destroyed**. She always found it tragic that these missiles, these marvels of modern engineering, were just being scrapped and wasted. So along with the rest of the team, they put together a tongue-in-cheek (but very detailed) proposal to retrofit them as an Intercontinental Pizza Delivery System. They did all the calculations for how they'd have to modify it for the racks of uncooked pizzas, how they'd have to modify the heat shield, how hot it'd get inside and how long they'd bake for, how to parachute them down, etc, including cost projections (I think the delivery cost worked out to $15 per pizza if you bought a full missile's worth). Eventually it fell on her to present the proposal to a Soviet officer (I think she said the rank was equivalent to a colonel), with as straight of a face as she could muster. She said he just stared at her like she had lost her bloody mind. ;)

** Fun side story: both sides were allowed to inspect any area large enough to conceal a "treaty limited item". So the US sent their teams over with these fancy laser measuring devices to see if they were allowed to inspect. The Soviets were very impressed by this. They had sent their teams over with... a stick. If the stick fit, they could inspect ;)

Similarly, she described the system for if you get pulled over. You know how in the west, if an officer pulls you over, they take your license, run it into a computer, it gets transmitted into some database and the offense registered, possibly triggering other actions, etc etc. In the USSR they'd take your license... and punch a hole in it. If you had too many holes in your license... they'd keep it ;)

But why?

Hedging with multiple suppliers isn't a bad strategy, neither is covering yourself against future trade tariffs or other obstacles or showing good faith by investing in a Chinese company when you're trying to win share of the Chinese market.

Sorry if this has already been pointed out, but with Asian King having departed for Shanghai,
there are currently no vehicle carriers reporting their destination as San Francisco.

So it's possible that end of Q1 will not have that many vehicles in transit.

This could point to one other strategy change for Tesla: not delivering a steady stream of 3000 cars per week to Europe but focussing on getting as many cars to European customers before the end of the quarter, and producing cars for NA during the last month. This was probably one of the reasons Elon decided to drop the central handling of European cars in Zeebrugge and transfer that task to the service and delivery centers, which are more flexible. It could bode well for the number of vehicles in transit at the end of Q1.

Store intel:

1. Email this morning to employees prior to 8k clarification.
2. Never was all stores closing.
3. Redundant stores (more than one store in geographic location/redundant purpose I.e. SC + ) were the targets.
4. Sales compensation changed to no commission, but incentives for store volumes.
5. In store sales only on store inventory, all custom orders pushed to online.
6. Test drives available,once taken eligibility for 7 day/1000 drive deleted
7. If one has ever test driven no eligibility for 7/1000 test.
8. Stores position actively being re-evaluated based on traffic/inventory moved.
9.Delivery staff not cut.
10. Retraining offered in some cases.

Source: multiple folks at multiple locations some I know and are long term employees and some rando employees.

Hope it helps

Fire Away!

Reading this, I am reminded that devising employee incentive systems is really hard and often prone to errors. Even the most altruistic employee will try to game the incentive system to increase their paycheck. Based on the above, I predict stores are going to have a lot of inventory going forward.

Reactions: capster
It needs to be explained properly. 20% (or some number, but 20% is probably about right from what I've read) off your electric bill if you sign up for the car/grid option. That's about $300/yr for a 1500 kW monthly average. Not nearly as good as the carbon fee + dividend, but enough to make quite a few people take it.
The infrastructure on the Utility side is already there for any reasonably sized utility. That said, this is not a very agile industry. (I implement billing/rate/metering software for utility companies) They would definitely benefit, but not sure how fast it could actually get through public utility commissions etc. Most of my clients still haven't placed residential customers on time of use rates.

But yeah, 20% is probably not far off. Peaker plants are crazy expensive to run. A few million EVs in the US can take the place of any number of small plants or grid storage systems.

Reactions: jerry33
Elon said there maybe a cheaper Tesla EV coming in 3~4 years. Tesla could sell cars at cost still make a healthy profit from software.

On Feb 28 during the conference call with analyists, Elon repeated that Tesla would have a new cheaper car in 2-3 years, but probably closer to three:

Elon Musk: Expect a cheaper Tesla in '2 - 3 years'

This is a repeat of his comment to Marques Brownlee (MKBHD) in their Aug 2018 video:

“To get ultimately to something like a $25,000 car, that’s something we could do, but that’s probably 3 years away if we work really hard.”

Notice how time has not moved forward during the intervening 6 months?

So 3-4 yrs is a good WAG, but its not actually what Elon said. We should always be careful with quotes, memory being what it is.

Something about the relativist time distortion field, mumble, Elon time...

Cheers!

On Feb 28 during the conference call with analyists, Elon repeated that Tesla would have a new cheaper car in 2-3 years, but probably closer to three:

Elon Musk: Expect a cheaper Tesla in '2 - 3 years'

This is a repeat of his comment to Marques Brownlee (MKBHD) in their Aug 2018 video:

“To get ultimately to something like a $25,000 car, that’s something we could do, but that’s probably 3 years away if we work really hard.”

Notice how time has not moved forward during the intervening 6 months?

So 3-4 yrs is a good WAG, but its not actually what Elon said. We should always be careful with quotes, memory being what it is.

Something about the relativist time distortion field, mumble, Elon time...

Cheers!
3-4 years is about right to account for "Elon time" effect :)

Aren't crossovers mostly a US thing? I definitely agree that they will sell like hotcakes here in the states. Sedans are dying here.

Europe is also starting to get hooked on crossovers and small SUVs (Hyundai, Nissan, VW, Renault), so Model Y will ride that same wave on the old continent.