Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So all you guys having been in TSLA for the last 5-10 years, what are some things you’ve done with your gains?
Have you cashed some out and bought homes, cars, islands, etc? Or still HODL on all shares you’ve accumulated?
I figured I was late to the party investing...but bought a MS 75 RWD in May 2017 and took delivery in June. By August I couldn't not be an investor after experiencing the car/company/culture (yes all you reading this) and started buying TSLA. Rough time to be an investor at that time and I was also playing with options which got me over leveraged and the only chairs I ever sold were to cover margin calls...though I was still inexperienced (and still learning now!) and didn't understand all the tools available to me so might have not needed to do that.

Anyway, now...still playing options but bought back all those sold chairs and then some. Using the options income to:
  • Retire as of January of this year (Early 40's)
  • Solar roof on order
  • Plaid + on order
  • In the process of renovating the house in a way that might qualify as an extreme home makeover
  • If TSLA is where I expect it to be by the time the roadster comes out will be picking one up as well
  • And of course...buying dips...though I'm at my "current" chair target for now

Yes, the video is of the foundations for a stamping press in Shanghai. This stamping press appears to be much bigger than the two stamping presses already installed.

This is not to be confused with the Giga presses which are High Pressure Die Cast presses. Those are located elsewhere in the Shanghai plant. The foundations for those aren't nearly as beefy, as is clear from the Berlin and Austin construction processes.
I've looked back at previous videos from when the adjacent stamping press foundations were being constructed. It appears the current one is fairly similar to previous 2 lines. So this should be a new stamping press line but the question is what is it supplying? Extra capacity for Y production or an increase to Y and 3 numbers. I suspect its mainly Y as I recall in a recent interview with Tom Zhu that he mentioned the extra works being done were to increase Model Y production and also the new design centre. Any new Model 2 factory being built across the river is most likely to have its own stamping and gigapress facilities.

Edit: The current stamping press foundation does appear slightly bigger, but not by much. Below is the previous Model Y stamping extension from May 2020 and underneath that the most recent construction:

MY Stamping.jpg

And here is the current construction:
MY Stamping2.jpg

Last edited:
I figured I was late to the party investing...but bought a MS 75 RWD in May 2017 and took delivery in June. By August I couldn't not be an investor after experiencing the car/company/culture (yes all you reading this) and started buying TSLA. Rough time to be an investor at that time and I was also playing with options which got me over leveraged and the only chairs I ever sold were to cover margin calls...though I was still inexperienced (and still learning now!) and didn't understand all the tools available to me so might have not needed to do that.

Anyway, now...still playing options but bought back all those sold chairs and then some. Using the options income to:
  • Retire as of January of this year (Early 40's)
  • Solar roof on order
  • Plaid + on order
  • In the process of renovating the house in a way that might qualify as an extreme home makeover
  • If TSLA is where I expect it to be by the time the roadster comes out will be picking one up as well
  • And of course...buying dips...though I'm at my "current" chair target for now

pretty much the same here. early 40s, trying to decide if i feel like retiring. thanks to Tesla, i have more money than me or my kids could ever spend.

The competition........

That was painful to watch. Good thing the host is mild-mannered, tech savvy, and patient--I would've thrown the charging connector through the windshield in frustration. The average car owner would've struggled to figure out what to do if their new EV didn't charge at a charging station. They would've had to contact Ford tech support, or call AAA for a tow to the nearest dealer.

Us Tesla owners are really spoiled. I didn't realize there could be so many different problems charging, from the station to the car to the phone app. I suppose fast charging doesn't matter much to many because road tripping isn't something commonly done, but I would never put up with the shenanigans the host went through, especially for the kind of money the Mach-E costs. After one road trip I would've returned the car.

Tesla has a lot of advantages over other EVs, but their charging experience alone knocks it out of the park. Seriously. I'm a fairly computer-illiterate person, stay away from tech as much as I can, so if I can get a Tesla to work anyone can. Tesla's brilliance is that they've made their EVs almost totally idiot-proof.

I'm embarrassed to say it, but I'm not smart enough to own a Mach-E; I wouldn't be able to figure out how to charge it.

I realize it will be up significantly. I was wondering if anyone has paid close attention or traded premarket in the past on post earnings/P&D releases. If so, have they seen any patterns? Open up and drift down? Open up and continue up? If anyone has done an analysis on these patterns, it would be beneficial to all of us to understand how best to play tomorrow.
I'm going to try pre-market tomorrow morning for the first time and buy some shares at 330am Pacific :eek: and also try to buy call options (which I don't think I can until market opens, but I'll put in both a limit and market order and see what happens).

Reactions: MikeC
I would not be surprised if once they prove out that the casting presses will operate at scale that they turn around and outright acquire IDRA.
I think they only do that if they determine that the current braintrust at IDRA cannot produce casting presses fast enough for Tesla's Giga/Tera factory expansion plans.

I'm going to try pre-market tomorrow morning for the first time and buy some shares at 330am Pacific :eek: and also try to buy call options (which I don't think I can until market opens, but I'll put in both a limit and market order and see what happens).
Options only trade during market hours. Putting in a market order for options and waking up after the market opens sound like playing with fire IMO. The IV is probably going to rocket tomorrow and depending how the week plays out and what option you are looking at you could very well end up buying an option at the high. Could also get lucky and make money on it. Market orders on options feel I’ll advised. But that’s just my feeling. Not advice for you.

Well, it’s a close race....I’m no longer even in the top half of the field. If you can beat 2Pearls $882.33, then post your numbers!
View attachment 650875

I find this spread interesting because it’s not about how much money you have invested, or how early that you invested it....it’s got more conviction to it because the earlier you first bought in, arguably the less you need to buy more now....but if you are still buying into recent highs, because you still believe, then you’ll do well on this spread....
I'd be near the bottom of the list right now so I might need to buy a share at the end of the trading day tomorrow just so I can jump to #1.

A few years back we heard about Tesla patenting a giant machine to cast an entire car frame.

I was looking at it today, and the claim has been "abandoned". Maybe they gave up on the idea after switching to structural packs.

US20190217380A1 - Multi-directional unibody casting machine for a vehicle frame and associated methods - Google Patents

2018-01-18 TESLA, INC., CALIFORNIA ASSIGNMENT OF ASSIGNORS INTEREST
2019-12-30 NON FINAL ACTION MAILED
2020-11-07 ABANDONED -- FAILURE TO RESPOND TO AN OFFICE ACTION

Edit: there is some other related patent here but the system is too confusing for me to understand what is going on. Maybe someone more familiar can explain it.

WO2019143496A1 - Multi-directional unibody casting machines for a vehicle frame and associated method - Google Patents
They belong to the same family. A patent is a territorial right, so you have to apply for it in those countries where you want protection. As it would be quite costly to file in 30 countries only to find out that the invention doesn’t mee the criteria of patentability. Paris convention to the rescue. It allows you to file a patent application in one country and postpone the cost of filing abroad by one year. If the search report is favorable, you do that. Now, a patent is still not guaranteed. Someone may have file a bit earlier than you. Andbor you don’t know yet in which countries it is commercially worthwhile to continue. PCT treaty to the rescue, which gives you an additional 18 months.

the search report enclosed with the PCT application show two documents labeled X for all the claims 1-20. X designates Novelty destroying. So, it was probably not continued because there was no patentable subject matter.

So all you guys having been in TSLA for the last 5-10 years, what are some things you’ve done with your gains?
Have you cashed some out and bought homes, cars, islands, etc? Or still HODL on all shares you’ve accumulated?
Sold a little less than half my shares to fund the purchase of my dream villa in the hills above Surin Beach on the West coast of Phuket in Southern Thailand. I’m signing closing docs this week. 😁Many thanks to Elon, Team Tesla and the sage advice of so many talented TMC’ers!

I’m naming it Villa Élan. However, it will be pronounced “Elon.” 😁

Attachments

• ECCE2ACB-02DA-41BB-A586-4CC6356379C7.jpeg
    ECCE2ACB-02DA-41BB-A586-4CC6356379C7.jpeg
    712 KB · Views: 81
As a follow up to the earlier question of what others have done with their gains, i have a question to add to the mix. Has anyone gained a similar amount to Emmett and continue to hold all of your shares? Or did you start to diversify once you hit major thresholds i.e.$10m, $25m, $50m?

A number of posts on Twitter today about TSLA bulls being "stupid" to have gained that amount of wealth and to continue keeping it all in TSLA.
Still HODL’ing.

Most people can’t get their head around companies like Tesla or Amazon or Apple, and they think they have to sell when the stock has had a good run. Admittedly, knowing when to sell is the hard part, but in Tesla’s case, they truly are just getting started. Their total addressable market is huge already and they’re creating new markets as they go. I think Chamath said it a few months ago...”why sell what’s working?”

I think a lot of this comes from the general tendency to reason by analogy. “If the stock goes up 20% or 30% sell because it’s likely gonna drop.” Or most recently “Q1 is seasonally weak and must be lower than Q4.” Um...what about Shanghai? There’s a lot to be said for First Principles thinking.

The most I've paid so far for any shares is $681. I'm putting a premarket buy order in with a $700 limit. It may blow past that and not execute, but If it does execute I have a feeling they might be my most expensive shares yet. Wish me luck.
i Am having trouble buying at these prices. I don’t like to increase my average purchase price. Most I paid was about $356 at a dip back in October.

That was painful to watch. Good thing the host is mild-mannered, tech savvy, and patient--I would've thrown the charging connector through the windshield in frustration. The average car owner would've struggled to figure out what to do if their new EV didn't charge at a charging station. They would've had to contact Ford tech support, or call AAA for a tow to the nearest dealer.

Us Tesla owners are really spoiled. I didn't realize there could be so many different problems charging, from the station to the car to the phone app. I suppose fast charging doesn't matter much to many because road tripping isn't something commonly done, but I would never put up with the shenanigans the host went through, especially for the kind of money the Mach-E costs. After one road trip I would've returned the car.

Tesla has a lot of advantages over other EVs, but their charging experience alone knocks it out of the park. Seriously. I'm a fairly computer-illiterate person, stay away from tech as much as I can, so if I can get a Tesla to work anyone can. Tesla's brilliance is that they've made their EVs almost totally idiot-proof.

I'm embarrassed to say it, but I'm not smart enough to own a Mach-E; I wouldn't be able to figure out how to charge it.

Wow, painful is right.