Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As is usual, almost all of this radar / no radar chitchat is speculation based on ignorance. Whether radar makes sense as part of Tesla's sensorium is something we don't and cannot know.

Back to first principles. Adding a new sense costs money, design time, supply chain complexity, manufacturing complexity, software time and complexity, training time and complexity, energy for operation and due to weight, and it adds new failure modes and maintenance costs. A new sense can improve safety, performance, behavior, avoid damage, and make the vehicle usable in more conditions.

Only Tesla has the data to even begin to guess what the trade-offs are. Only Tesla has the data to determine what senses would provide the best fit with current and future capabilities. Tesla is clearly not going to create the safest car possible no matter what the expense. It's entirely possible that radar's marginal utility at this point is simply no longer a win over its many negative aspects.

I didn't see anybody mention the critical superpowers the vehicles already possess: patience and tireless attention. Most critically, this means that a fully autonomous Tesla will easily and naturally never drive in a way it considers too unsafe. If it can't see the road well enough it will execute a safe alternative to proceeding. Because this is comparatively easy to do, Tesla can choose to failsafe in a variety of sufficiently rare situations without compromising utility. So even if removing radar eliminates a capability, only Tesla can tell whether it matters much.

All we can do is guess. We don't have any of the data required to tell pretty much anything about the optimum sensorium. So we're limited to agreeing with Elon that it has always been obvious that it must be possible to drive using vision alone, because people do so. I would really like to not see endless speculation that may as well be preceded by "But if Tesla engineers are really stupid, then...."

The SR+ already qualified for the federal rebate because of the “off menu” SR. I think the government just didn’t like this trick and forced them to add it to the options on the website. I highly doubt many will order this.

Note: The government won’t let them upgrade after sale.

This is in the context that we are (I think) discussing a after-sale software unlock of what we suspect are actually larger battery sizes and corresponding range.

If the Canadian Gov won't let the original owner upgrade after sale, how long does this prohibition last ? Presumably Tesla would have to agree to be part of the enforcement mechanism - is there any evidence that Tesla have agreed such a thing ?

Does such a prohibition continue to a subsequent owner ? What would happen if (say) the original purchaser flipped the car to their spouse and they bought the unlock ? Is there a restriction on that ?

What would be the situation if there was a post-sale unlock of (say) heated seats, faster acceleration, or FSD ?

Reactions: Thumper
72368664-DF89-44F8-B37D-86C62977356F.jpeg

Dropping radar is hard to accept for some (myself included). I think it’s best to realize while adding radar ought to be a positive and makes sense in theory, if Tesla isn’t seeing positive results out of the NN, it simply may not be practically better. Vision from the 7? cameras might just be so good that the added complexity of the radar parameters doesn’t make a tangible improvement.
Radar is not as important to me as the spider sense skill of detecting dangerous drivers that have higher probability of causing an accident. Yesterday, there was this Honda Civic driver zig zagging in his own lane, either because he looking at his cellphone or was intoxicated, who knows. I hope the FSD recognize these drivers as potential hazard with higher probability of unexpected behaviour and treats them accordingly by over taking them with more space by predicting it has a higher probability of moving into the left lane at any moment from its erratic behaviour instead of reacting the moment it does. Before overtaking these dangerous drivers, I wait for no cars to be behind and to have the possibility to move on the left shoulder at anytime if needed to avoid collision when you are boxed in and don’t have any plan B. I hope this plan B bailout for predictable situations can be incorporated in FSD algorithm.

Am I really the only one that doesn't find "Guy drives you 35 mph max through a 1-lane tunnel" especially futuristic or mind blowing?

It'll be a cool way for millions of folks to see/touch/ride in the cars- that absolutely will have a lot of value... but the actual tunnel trip is unlikely to blow a significant number of minds.

This might improve once they're not using a human driver- but even then it's slow speed on a fixed, unbroken, route.

Much more interesting is they're still reporting there'll be Tesla-built 16-passenger transports used in the system- which AFAIK is a product that does not currently exist.... Elon has talked about eventually wanting to do vans or something, but I'm unaware of anything actively in the pipeline.
Not all that see, have vision, I'm afraid. The significance of this is huge.

The future starts now.

Just the marketing genius of being paid to showcase your product to a captive audience is a major coup. Imagine what legacy auto pays to be one of many at car shows or sponsor a ride a Disney and yet Tesla gets paid to be on display. Tesla's marketing budget is $NEGATIVE.

This is just the beginning of a new chapter in technology on par with cell phones. It changes everything. But your sentiment is not unlike that you will read about on non-Tesla forums.
Nothing to see here
A big nothing burger
Dumb idea no different than the subway

These same people also missed out on 700% gains last year and think Tesla should be valued at $50 and is just an auto company. Even after riding in the Vegas tunnel they still would only recognize Tesla as a car company. Blind as a bat.

You ever heard of this little thing called sales tax? You think the government won’t know what’s being sold? Next time you can also do a little research first 😉

View attachment 652494

Edit: Please find one example of an SR being upgraded in Canada. When you can’t find any, come back and explain WHY Tesla wouldn’t sell such an upgrade if they could. I guess they just have so much cash now that they don’t care? I’ll wait....
@MTL_HABS1909, Tax is collected by government at time of car registration and can be traceable back to purchaser. For OTA update upgrades and T-shirts the tax is collected by Tesla and settled with government each quarter and these purchases are not traceable by government back to the purchaser.

In 2013 Tesla sold a Model S version a 60kWh locked battery to a limit of 40kWh, with purchaser ability to upgrate to the 60kWh at a later date. Tesla also unlocked higher range batteries temporarily during huricane Dorian and the California wildfires. We know this can be done with a simple OTA upgrade.

Screen Shot 2021-04-10 at 7.24.47 AM.png

I do not think for a second that Tesla would built their most current popular model with a 94 mile (151km) battery back with no chance of upgrading range, when Elon made decisions to stop producing the Model Y because <250 miles was "unacceptably low".

Screen Shot 2021-04-10 at 7.11.26 AM.png

The 94 mile (151km) Range has yet to be delivered in Canada, it was only just now made available as an option. Time will tell however I expect battery pack to be upgradeable for this model. If this was never the intent of Tesla to upgrade, and if battery cells are the limiting production factor, Tesla would not make a larger locked battery pack (waste of cells never to be used) and can make almost three times the number of Model 3s with the same number of cells by going with a 151km, battery pack (Standard + is 423km Range), however as Elon has clearly stated, this would be unacceptable.

My last post on this topic. This forum deserves better than us bickering back and forth.

@Artful Dodger i liked your list, but I thought I should do one that is unwise but accurate

"Buttershrimp’s Ten Rules for Investment
": 1st edition
  1. Stop wasting time, invest as much as possible and as quickly as possible
  2. Emotion is fine if you don’t act on it alone, math is hard, keep a calculator handy
  3. Buy in a few Tranches during dips, or just buy it already
  4. don’t sell TSLA, don’t pull a Gary Black.
  5. Often the Best Action is 4 years ago, so stop living in the past and keep investing as long as TSLA keeps being awesome and innovative
  6. Volatility puts hair on your chest; ask @Krugerrand to tell you to stop being a little B*****, you’ll eventually stop whining when prices fluctuate
  7. Market Makers are best played against one another, always pay your bills so you aren’t a deadbeat and have no leverage
  8. Use Margin if rates are good and if you can easily answer calls if things dip a lot, otherwise go nuts
  9. Troll the “News” and/or Electrek when someone contradicts your world view of TSLA
  10. Have Unreasonable Goals; indulge in fantasy, whatever makes you more motivated to accumulate more TSLA shares, Delude yourself strategically to offset Wild swings in emotion, they say lithium is a mood stabilizer.... so if you buy enough TSLA, the lithium content in the batteries will even you out
  11. Diversification is what your 401k is for. Your only goal is to accumulate irresponsible amount of TSLA shares.
Yesterday I asked my wife should we buy 10 more shares of Tesla and she said sure so I decided to buy 20.
I went and sat down at my desk and changed it to 40 shares. Most of my Previous shares were around $50 so it was a little tough paying $683, but not to tough.
But I'm still happy to do it.

Perhaps elon and the team have invented some sort of new camera that combines many types of lenses(thermal, infrared, telephoto....others?) etc etc and are about to disrupt the camera industry.
Look out Nikon.....
They should be able to backtest all prior hard braking events with and without radar data as input. That should settle the argument. Right?

Thanks for that, but TSLA trading may have been quiet on this Friday due to my absence from TMC. ;)

Sorry, but that was because of my colonoscopy which was long delayed until I got a few weeks past two Covid shots. The procedure went quite well. :)

For those of you who have been here a while, if history repeats itself, Curt’s last comment is a very bulish sign :D

I follow these Gigafactory Austin videos pretty closely - yesterday's activity has just gone into overdrive. With the stock in the doldrums, it's a good reminder that Tesla not only continues to push forward, they are accelerating the rate of progress (kinda like this factory). The sheer number of worker vehicles and the time lapse at the end gives insight into the frenzied pace. Watch the whole thing on 2X speed for full effect.

Trying to beat Gigafactory Berlin to production?

First his tweet about Tesla becoming the most valuable company in the world within a few months (which he quickly deleted), and now this?

Elon has a consistent habit of tweeting forecasts for TSLA movements slyly, he's done this many times and it has always been accurate.

I wonder what is happening which we don't know about yet? 😮

(or he could simply mean SpaceX is planning a moon mission soon.....)

Over 3 years ago was when Radar was a primary sensor for autopilot.

Tesla went on, at some length, when they switched to this system how awesome radar was at seeing things cameras could not including seeing through bad weather.

Hence why folks are now concerned at the idea they're ditching radar after spending years telling us how it made the car safer in exactly the type of conditions your video demonstrates.

(1000 bonus irony points for the specific choice of music on that 3 year old video too!)
The only reason someone might be concerned that Tesla is ditching radar is because they don't understand how quickly technology is progressing. Specifically, AI vision technology.

First his tweet about Tesla becoming the most valuable company in the world within a few months (which he quickly deleted), and now this?

Elon has a consistent habit of tweeting forecasts for TSLA movements slyly, he's done this many times and it has always been accurate.

I wonder what is happening which we don't know about yet? 😮

(or he could simply mean SpaceX is planning a moon mission soon.....)

Haha - reminds me of this:
1618060662191.png

and then we saw this:

1618060865316.png

@MTL_HABS1909, The 94 mile (151km) Range has yet to be delivered in Canada, it was only just now made available as an option.
How can anyone take you seriously? This is demonstrably false. I even gave you a link in my prior response. People have had it in Canada since 2019 and not 1 single upgrade (which I asked you to provide evidence for).

Reactions: MP3Mike