Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been concerned about Elon's safety since 2018 but I think his security is more effective than it appears.

Some people's security is all-show, no-go. Dark glasses, bulges in their Italian suits where there are weapons, walkie-talkies, etc. But you can bet Elon has smart security. People extremely competent at what they do. Not because they are tough, heavily armed or dressed in fancy suits, but because they use first-principles thinking to protect from potential threats.

I think anyone trying something evil might end up in a bigger world of hurt than they could have imagined.
I always picture Liam Neeson in "Taken" as the best type of security....

• Funny
Reactions: gabeincal
Yes, because the regulator is not doing their job. You guys need a new regulator that works for the ratepayers who are captive to the utility.

Indeed. It’s just disheartening when you see it in action at the consumer eye level because it’s just so sloppy and crooked, and you can’t help but feel for the lower level employees who are forced to defend decisions from above.

We’re being told now the charges are primarily for flaggers/traffic control, which is reasonable (albeit seems high) because there’s a slight blind curve to the road near the power pole. The problem is that the bill lists everything imaginable except for that and they don’t seem to want to change it to reflect that we’re paying for what they say we’re paying for...

Anyways my point wasn’t to complain about our specific snafu...just echoing that we personally experienced a sudden change to the utility-side of a simple project that feels an awful lot like a desperate attempt to grab $ from customers. For the record, there’s no solar involved (they do know we have an EV). I wonder if their data shows that folks with an EV getting a service upgrade are likely to install solar.

Yet some of the reservation holders still don't have their cars!

The good news for Mach-e buyers is it looks like additional dealer markups of $2K-$6K might be going away. :)
I'm sure some of those are just 'in-transit' vehicles that are listed in their inventory and haven't actually arrived yet. So it probably isn't 100%, but even still. A car that is getting maybe 2500-3000 per month on lots shouldn't be having that much show up as available if there was as high of demand as they'd want you to believe. I do fully believe that Ford will sell every one they make and they won't be sitting around lots nearly as much as some other models they have. I think that will show a lack of supply, but Ford's willingness to produce 150+k and get enough batteries to solve that remains to be seen.

Reactions: StealthP3D
I've been following this quite closely and, unless Ford is carefully throttling deliveries to reservation holders to maintain appearances of strong demand (which is certainly possible), the slowing sales are due to supply in the US, not demand. Because it's taking them a long time to fulfill pre-orders and many are still not filled yet. But it's also obvious that demand is not huge (the Mach-e is a very expensive car for what you get) so it's possible this is just Ford playing games to keep perceived demand high. There is at least one large shipment of cars that's been sitting in a European port for well over a month and yet they haven't sold a single Mach-e in the EU as of the end of Q1. I think they are waiting for software updates.

The roll-out of the Mach-e has been a bigger boondoggle than the Model 3 ramp and yet the media is strangely silent on this issue. It's almost as if they are still hoping the Mach-e might still be a threat to Tesla. ;)

My impression is that a fair number of US Mach-e reservationists are starting to get buyers remorse and many that have not taken delivery are backing out of their reservations. Many bought it primarily because they wanted an EV but hated Tesla or they liked the Mach-e styling better than the Model Y. Now they are realizing Ford over-promised and under-delivered. Phone as a key is not even close to as functional as it was this time of the rollout of Model 3 (most admit they don't even use the feature because it's so unreliable), the Ford phone app is terribly flakey, Plug and Charge almost never works so they can't use the free miles Ford gave them, the software in the car is non-sensical in many ways, the remaining range metric is completely unreliable because it works like it does in Ford cars and Trucks, it adjusts the remaining range way higher than reality if you have been descending out of the mountains and adjusts it scarily low if you just climbed a mountain pass such that it can never be relied upon, even by a reasonably experienced operator. There is no way to convert the percent of battery charge remaining into miles without doing the math in your head or using this inaccurate "remaining miles" display. A large percentage of the cars have glass roof panels that are misaligned with the top edge of the windscreen such that it makes excessive wind noise and I don't think Ford is considering this a warranty defect. Most of the center touchscreens make a buzzing noise that is irritating to most when the car is parked. The suspension is tuned in an odd way that causes it to feel bouncy on typical highways above 50 mph such that the headlights will be fluctuating up and down while other cars on the same road have steady beams. You can't use the Ford charging cord on a 240V 30 amp outlet in your garage. Even with an adapter the car will try to pull too many amps and trip the breaker (there is no manual way to reduce charge current in the car).

The list goes on.

This is really too bad for the transition to sustainable transport because I think it will cause some of the Mach-e buyers to be turned off from EV's for future. purchases. I know it's difficult, but Tesla owners need to resist the temptation from strengthening the "us vs. them" tribe mentality by acting like superior douchebags. Just support their decision to go electric and tell them it doesn't matter which EV an individual gets, as long as they are happy with it.

Ay caramba. And don't forget Ford's fast charger (displayed at some auto show), which copied Tesla's design but made the cutout nonfunctional. Seeing that, I knew Tesla need not tremble.

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

MSM stories are full of misinformation and deliberate lies. We here at TMC estimated the FCA carbon credits to be about €2B over 2 years.

The SMALL lie is the simple omission that there are literally a dozen other manufacturers that need to buy carbon credit, and the price is going up. Tesla will continue to sell ALL the EU carbon credits they can deliver, and the price will continue to go up as EU rules tighten.

The BIG lie is that Stellantis is counting on PHEV and Supercredits to cancel out their future fines. Big News: the EU is re-rating PHEV credits because people aren't pluging in to charge, they are just being used as gas cars with a carbon fine exemption.

Well, that's going away mon ami. But c'est la guerre if you think Tesla will let you back in the pool*.

Cheers!

*there is a no-peeing-in-the-pool clause in the contract w FCA. :p
Aren't the pools locked with it's present members for the duration of the agreement? I think this first period was until end of 2021? I don't think Tesla can have anyone else join their pool until 2022.

That said I would also be surprised if there wasn't some kind of agreement on how an early withdrawal would be handled. Presumably with some kind of withdrawal penalty. Actually I guess there won't be a withdrawal as such since that won't really make a difference. But they say they won't buy any more of Teslas credits this year. Seems like it's at least possible that Tesla would have some kind of minimum number of credits Stellantis was required to buy. Depending of course if there were other companies Tesla was negotiating with when the pools were formed.

But yes, €300 million this year and presumably €300 million last year doesn't really add up to what was believed to be the EU pools value.

Anyway, who else in Teslas pool has enough EVs to take one third of third of the credits (if Tesla takes two thirds)? Something doesn't add up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Queeg500
It boggles my mind why traditional automakers are ok letting $10B+ EV programs fail because they won't spend $1B building out a fast charging network.
Can be argued that’s actually the strategy to buy them more time. Why spend for a charging network that they won’t be the beneficiaries off? They know they have no chance to become major players in the future of transportation. They are running on fumes, and they know it.

1620253869471.png