Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Investors, take notice. The roadster has just been confirmed by EM to do 0-60 in 1.1 seconds (w/ SpaceX option). Not only is this beyond insane, but the ”competition” was beaten at almost double that time (Plaid MS is world’s fastest production car @1.9sec). The competition has been caught “flat footed” by definition here. Utterly. They’ll all have to go back to the drawing board (and likely copy Tesla). This wasn’t even “announced”.

Now, imagine what else Tesla has under wraps....
Just another quick comment on how profound this is. Ignoring the fact that traction limits would prevent vehicles from approaching what Tesla has done here (thrusters don't depend on traction for acceleration), it requires about 2,000 HP to move a 3,000 lbs car 0-60 in 1.1 seconds. LET. THAT. SINK. IN.

PS- Depending on thruster placement, they might be able to stop much quicker too....4-D chess I tell you!

That's true; however, the guys that track ships believe that the Hyperion Ray which departed on May 13 was the last ship out of Shanghai for Q2. All production from this point forward should be for the China domestic market. I will monitor this.
Cherrywine is saying the 10k Korea shipment went out of Fremont. You are saying there are 4k more exports than reported which will go onto May's numbers but has nothing to do with Korea.

Not sure if this was already mentioned but it sounds like the "bleeding edge" vision nets have already been pushed to cars a whole ago, except for FSD Beta folks.

Interesting.

Further downthread green postulates that Tesla is testing something to do with those updated NNs. Interesting indeed.

That's true; however, the guys that track ships believe that the Hyperion Ray which departed on May 13 was the last ship out of Shanghai for Q2. All production from this point forward should be for the China domestic market. I will monitor this.

Yes, it makes sense that Shanghai would follow a production schedule of "early quarter = export / late quarter = domestic", similar to Fremont.

Cherrywine is saying the 10k Korea shipment went out of Fremont. You are saying there are 4k more exports than reported which will go onto May's numbers but has nothing to do with Korea.

I believe @The Accountant was just trying to add additional context as to why the CPAC numbers may have been at the level at which they were reported.

Just another quick comment on how profound this is. Ignoring the fact that traction limits would prevent vehicles from approaching what Tesla has done here (thrusters don't depend on traction for acceleration), it requires about 2,000 HP to move a 3,000 lbs car 0-60 in 1.1 seconds. LET. THAT. SINK. IN.

PS- Depending on thruster placement, they might be able to stop much quicker too....4-D chess I tell you!

When a high-performance car launches, the front wheels hardly have any traction. That's why dragsters have wheelie bars to keep the car from flipping. If the thrusters are above the car's center of gravity they will help keep weight on the front tires and allow them to develop more forward drive at the critical moment of the launch. This will better utilize the available horsepower of the front/rear motors.

I love performance and speed but even my Stealth P3D is so fast that full power can only be applied for brief periods without hitting highly illegal speeds. Sure, it would be fun to jump off the line even more quickly but I think most of the fun is how effortless and quiet it all is. The roar of a thruster would ruin it for me.

And this is coming from someone who loved the sound of a 1000cc Ducati V-twin with carbon race pipes singing at 10,000 rpms, blending beautifully with the loud honking sound emanating from the open airbox 12 inches below my helmet. The overall effect was incredible but I could only really enjoy it on unpopulated open roads, mountain passes and river canyons. In populated areas the sound was not something I wanted to be broadcasting to everyone within earshot so I would modulate the throttle and rpm's gently to keep it to a low rumble. I would feel the same way about the sound of the cold gas thrusters of the Roadster. So, not for me. Depending upon how much restraint owners have (or don't have) it could create bad press and resentment towards Tesla.

Used Tesla value (used cars in general, too) is crazy in the US right now. Selling one to buy another.

Since we took delivery of a Y about 2 months ago, the entire process has once again changed for the better. Changes include better communication and informative materials for new buyers. Only negative complaint I have right now is our sales advisor seems to not care to get back to us quickly, which is nothing new from previous Tesla purchases.

Not sure if this was already mentioned but it sounds like the "bleeding edge" vision nets have already been pushed to cars a whole ago, except for FSD Beta folks.

Interesting.

Note he's specifically talking about the 2021.4.12.2 -> 2021.4.15.x branch.

Most of the fleet (per teslafi data anyway) is still on 2021.4.X branches- mostly 2021.4.18 right now

Seems to make sense that minority of fleet on the development branch are shadow testing the vision-only stuff that Elon suggested would go wide soon.

Note he's specifically talking about the 2021.4.12.2 -> 2021.4.15.x branch.

Most of the fleet (per teslafi data anyway) is still on 2021.4.X branches- mostly 2021.4.18 right now

Seems to make sense that minority of fleet on the development branch are shadow testing the vision-only stuff that Elon suggested would go wide soon.

Thought this was interesting.

Yup... On May 12 Elon said "We had to focus on removing radar & confirming safety. That release goes out next week to US production. "

Which is this week.

The only 2021.4.x.x versions that went out to any significant # of folks were 2021.4.15.10 starting 5/16 (first day of the week Elon cited) and went to about 4% of fleet, and now 2021.4.15.12 starting TODAY is out to about 19% (14.6% installed, 4.2% pending install of that version).

Note even those branches do not remove radar- they just add new modes that can work without it... so presumably they're checking how well the results of actively still using radar compare with the vision only ones. (ie confirming safety as Elon mentioned)

Bit like how they use LIDAR test cars to test/improve their vision-based distance stuff, but in this case without needing extra HW so they can test on a ton more cars without the drivers even needing to do anything.

Depending on the results then they'd either keep tweaking that, or merge that into wider fleet if it looks good.

Last edited:
Ok, weekend OT. I’m not sure what to even say about this. Any Catholics out there want to opine on his holiness’ choice for eco-conscious transport?

If you start typing "Is the Pope" into Google Search, the first suggested result is "Is the Pope Catholic"

I mean, the question is meant to be rhetorical and a joke, but I guess there's a lot of people out there who aren't sure.

Since it's unlikely Tesla custom builds cars for any one person, even the Pope, it seems like in this case it's Fisker or someone else because Tesla won't do it and I doubt anyone has even asked Elon.

Reactions: FireMedic
I was getting nauseated just looking at the Titles of articles on Yahoo Finance today, declaring the Ford Lightening to be this incredible achievement that trumps/threatens Tesla. Reminds me of when the Bolt was coming out, and all the morons in journalism were calling the Bolt a "Tesla Killer," because these people understand nothing about EVs. Those of us who drive EVs understand that the Ford is vastly inferior to the CT, and won't make a dent in Tesla sales. Unfortunately, we might have to endure these silly articles for a year until it becomes obvious to everyone. Hopefully the SP doesn't stay low too much longer as a result, however.