Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A factory in the UK could also make 4680 LFP cells for energy storage batteries.

In fact maybe they can use the same LFP cells in energy storage and Model 2/3.

Another consideration is Model 2/3 are the likely Robo-Taxis factories like Berlin and the UK may have 50% of their Model 2/3 production allocated to Robo-taxis. And finally the UK is RHD, Berlin does not need to bother with RHD Model 2/3.

The OK also ticks all of the boxes I think are needed for a car factory:-
  • Local engineering talent
  • Local workforce
  • Significant local/nearby markets
  • Local parts / raw materials supply.
In particular engineering talent is a valuable commodity, which might be a component of the decision making process.

The cost side is stamping/casting/body/shop/paint there is a certain size the factory would need to be large enough to justify these investments.

With casting, we know the body shop component is smaller. With local cell production, parts and raw materials there is a significant saving on shipping costs

Is it possible that a UK facility would be focused on batteries and equipment for the energy/utility disruption idea? I haven’t been following this at all so it could be way off target.

This high speed malarkey is NOT my cup of tea, so I’m asking this out of ignorance, not malice - but:

If you’re correct about traction limits, how is it that dragsters can outperform the Roadster’s purported time? Surely they haven’t cold thrusters. Or have they?
The tires are much larger, so there is more ground contact. Special one-use tread compound. Bleach on the tread to increase stickiness (not sure if bleach is still used). Really low inflation pressure (beads have to be fixed to the wheels with screws).

Ehhhh....I'm not a big fan of that government/regime and I would expect they would do just about anything to preserve their self-interests which HEAVILY revolve around oil, so if Elon decides to stay far away from there for now, I won't complain.
100% agree. Please don’t take my thinking that Putin is smart for having any support for him or his government. I could see Putin allowing him to build a factory there and then just saying “thanks it’s mine now”. I’m sure these are risks he’s considering.

Is it possible that a UK facility would be focused on batteries and equipment for the energy/utility disruption idea? I haven’t been following this at all so it could be way off target.
It's a pain that all the other RHD territories are mostly the other side of the globe, but I guess an Indian factory would produce for these

Reactions: jkirkwood001
Wow, such a vicious but specious article in the Toronto Star (Canada's top-selling newspaper) trying to convince us investors to dump TSLA:

Tesla’s stock market valuation is preposterous. What attracts the faithful to this ridiculously-priced stock?

Here's an excerpt that has four sentences, every one of which is plain incorrect IMO!

"When it comes to rivals, Tesla’s competition is almost every automaker on Earth. Most of the major automakers already have EVs that are credible competitors to Tesla’s mere four models. And most plan to gradually transition to EVs exclusively, as GM vowed to do in January. Tesla has lately been forced to slash prices in a bid to stanch market-share losses to competing EVs."

There must be some line between this article and the Alberta tar sands. (Oh wait, we're not allowed to call Canada's huge bitumen site that anymore). I'm sad to say our oil patch generates 1.3 M barrels of dirty oil a day.

Wow, such a vicious but specious article in the Toronto Star (Canada's top-selling newspaper) trying to convince us investors to dump TSLA:

Tesla’s stock market valuation is preposterous. What attracts the faithful to this ridiculously-priced stock?

Here's an excerpt that has four sentences, every one of which is plain incorrect IMO!

"When it comes to rivals, Tesla’s competition is almost every automaker on Earth. Most of the major automakers already have EVs that are credible competitors to Tesla’s mere four models. And most plan to gradually transition to EVs exclusively, as GM vowed to do in January. Tesla has lately been forced to slash prices in a bid to stanch market-share losses to competing EVs."

There must be some line between this article and the Alberta tar sands. (Oh wait, we're not allowed to call Canada's huge bitumen site that anymore). I'm sad to say our oil patch generates 1.3 M barrels of dirty oil a day.
Is it also his opinion that Musk has 34 million followers on Twitter also? Lol.

100% agree. Please don’t take my thinking that Putin is smart for having any support for him or his government. I could see Putin allowing him to build a factory there and then just saying “thanks it’s mine now”. I’m sure these are risks he’s considering.

Exactly. Except I would put your last statement in the past tense. Elon plays 4-D chess. Even if he knew that he would never risk building a factory there, he would not say that. He might even make it look like he was toying with the idea, because he knows it could prevent the big, bad wolf from acting out in the interim and the longer he can string him along, the better. Hope, especially the evil kind, can be harnessed for the greater good.

That would align with Tesla being granted an electrical generation license for that region.
Tesla Given Green Light To Generate Electricity In The UK
Cells, Powerwalls, Megapacks, Superchargers are all in demand products. Could also include solar.

There are reasons other than the ones provided above for Mr Musk to cultivate a relationship with Russia. Now, as difficult as it is to operate in China - and so far, Tesla’s success/fail ratio there demonstrates Mr Musk to have done very credibly, indeed - Russia is a supremely difficult and in almost every way more challenging nut to crack. So much so, in fact, that I will not discuss on open forum either my views as to what it is Mr Musk is attempting to accomplish nor how best he could proceed with the Kremlin. I do hope, however, that even more so than had been the case with Beijing, he has the very, very best of advisers. In the wording of a favorite fictional character, tightrope walking ain’t in it.

Each casting machine has it's own furnace melting aluminium bars. So I guess the question is how large items can it melt? Or how hard is it to cut the castings into smaller parts?
No way they can just melt one of those intricate castings stored outdoors with dust, dirt, bugs, or the occasional bird nest and reuse that contaminated mess in the casting press again IMHO.

OT time waster, but I can't help myself, sorry-

Last edited:
People are getting a little antsy about FSD. I am seeing an increasing amount of posts from unhappy customers on reddit getting more and more upvotes criticizing FSD roll out. It has been 3 years since the Model 3 was released and people's leases are up, or have crashed their car, or wants to upgrade to a Y. Because FSD can't be transferred, these people are feeling they paid FSD and got nothing for it. This problem is compounded by all these arbitrary dates Elon have been giving on twitter and missing those deadlines like 3 times in a row.
I can’t say I’m mad but for sure we won’t buy it again. Personally I think FSD will get abandoned in the next year or two. The existing features will be repackaged in a less expensive option package but after 5 years of being only months away I don’t see it ever coming to fruition. Still buying a model Y...because really the car, coupled with the supercharger network, still has no competition.
Jmho.

The redaction on that article from 2020 is small and buried in the middle, but Fred did walk it back:

Update: Gaxiola’s analysis of the charger might have included a mistake. Here’s another analysis of the board that comes to a different conclusion:

The key thing is that the rectifier board on the internal charging module is not capable of bidirectional flow (operating as a DC-AC inverter). But, the DC-DC Supercharging circuits are capable of being bidirectional. So if you can install an external inverter and grid transfer switch, along with the appropriate firmware on the car to allow it, V2G with the current fleet is possible.

The key thing is that the rectifier board on the internal charging module is not capable of bidirectional flow (operating as a DC-AC inverter). But, the DC-DC Supercharging circuits are capable of being bidirectional. So if you can install an external inverter and grid transfer switch, along with the appropriate firmware on the car to allow it, V2G with the current fleet is possible.
Is this a useful scenario: Tesla solar feeding DC to power wall and car through a new generation DC home charger, at night DC-DC home battery to car or in reverse if home battery is low and car battery has extra power. Then the AC-DC inverter in the home battery can allow power to flow to and from the grid with conversion while solar, car and battery can exchange energy without that conversion?

Reactions: UncaNed
No way they can just melt one of those intricate castings stored outdoors with dust, dirt, bugs, or the occasional bird nest and reuse that contaminated mess in the casting press again IMHO.

Of course they can. Aluminum ingots are stored outside, on pallets, unwrapped, from the moment they leave the aluminum smelter. Then they are loaded on flat-beds, open to the weather and road spray, to be delivered (where they are likely to sit outside with the birds again).

1621693678485.png

The transition to renewable energy in Russia will probably be driven by importing stolen Teslas from Europe. No need to build a factory there.

Is this a useful scenario: Tesla solar feeding DC to power wall and car through a new generation DC home charger, at night DC-DC home battery to car or in reverse if home battery is low and car battery has extra power. Then the AC-DC inverter in the home battery can allow power to flow to and from the grid with conversion while solar, car and battery can exchange energy without that conversion?
The Tesla vehicle batteries have a voltage in the range that the Tesla solar inverter and PW+ solar input can utilize. With a set of contactors for source selection, PW+ could be fed by a car at night. PW+ can handle four strings, so one could theoretically have dedicated vehicle connections to eliminate the contactor issue (at lower power). If they are using a standard buck converter for solar to internal DC conversion, that can be run in reverse as a boost converter to charge the car via DC. Or another set of contactors to provide AC.
Many options, will be interesting to see what they do in this space (if anything).