Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, we already know from ex-Tesla engineers that they designed Autopilot to disengage one second before an anticipated crash, thus rendering a crash as "no on Autopilot."

Like many things Tesla, be skeptical of what they present at face value given their track record.

According to Tesla methodology (hat tip @willow_hiller):

To ensure our statistics are conservative, we count any crash in which Autopilot was deactivated within 5 seconds before impact

(Reposting excerpt to make it more visible)

had CT for almost a week now(yes it is a great vehicle and it garners an insane amount of constant attention... it is an actual celebrity) ... however
not having FSD turned on just plain sucks ... it feels dangerous.... did my 3 hour trip to upstate new york w/o FSD and was exhausted as compared to Model S with FSD ... the micro adjustments and the stress of driving are real
for me there is no turning back ....FSD is required going forward ... No FSD is like not wearing a seatbelt
In 2017 I got my first EV and after a few weeks I started telling people I would never buy another gas-powered car. Given the millions of EVs sold since then, I guess a lot of people agreed with me and Tesla stock shot to the moon.

Since I got FSD V12, I have started telling people I would never buy another car that you have to drive manually. I'm expecting the same kind of thing to happen again, except this time Tesla is going to Mars.

If you are investing in $TSLA right now, you are betting that some unproven technology will work. And you are betting it will start producing big profits in, say, 5 years instead of 15 years.

That's OK with me, but it's not for everybody.
Same bet as 5 years ago, just the 'unproven technology' has shifted.

The only way shorting is actionable is if doing a naked short while not a market-maker, were someone able to do so. Otherwise shorting is quite legal, so long as the shorter has borrowed the shares.
Calls and Puts are also legal, not actionable.

What do you think is illegal about any of that?
unwise?, perhaps. money maker?, perhaps.

But actionable? No. Some might try to prosecute but they'd lose the case, and probably would be summarily tossed out when entering the action formally.
@unk45
nothing much informative from TSLA FTD's (failure to deliver) here is last year plus zip file of FTD's going back to the beginning
1716468812863.png

Attachments

• tsla_ftd.zip
    697.7 KB · Views: 8
had CT for almost a week now(yes it is a great vehicle and it garners an insane amount of constant attention... it is an actual celebrity) ... however
not having FSD turned on just plain sucks ... it feels dangerous.... did my 3 hour trip to upstate new york w/o FSD and was exhausted as compared to Model S with FSD ... the micro adjustments and the stress of driving are real
for me there is no turning back ....FSD is required going forward ... No FSD is like not wearing a seatbelt

Yeah I hate driving without Autopilot now too, its just so incredibly handy and wonderful at what it does.

My wife has a Subaru Crosstrek and it feels like going back to the stone age every time I have to drive it. No autopilot, its noisy, wipers and lights don't work themselves, need to constantly adjust the climate controls, etc.

Tesla cars have a way of spoiling you, no wonder they sell so well. 😎

The fact it’s getting safer is important, although not surprising. But the constant, clickbait claim here and elsewhere is that it is safer than human drivers. The available data doesn’t show that.
Are you kidding ? On average FSD supervised must be much safer than human drivers. It wouldn't plow through stop signs into cars, through reds emotionally triggered but other racers etc, road raging

Reactions: BioSehnsucht
On the other hand, TSLA's future cash flows which are needed to justify its valuation are more dependent on various unknowns, i.e. in that sense higher risk. Musk's "all in, burn the bridges" attitude amplifies concerns about this. A couple of years ago, when the story was primarily about selling more cars at increasing margins, people like Rob Maurer, bullish analysts and others could show that the future was much more predictable and less risky than what the market saw, i.e. it was a fairly safe bet that the stock was undervalued.

I think you also have to look at margins which Nvidia is pushing 70% gross and it's doubtful that Tesla would achieve those numbers with FSD/RT/Robotics as they are actual physical items requiring a lot of cap spend and manufacturing in an unproven market. I still see a Robotaxi as a taxi with limited competitive advantages for most industries vs. this AI rush/boom that you see going on now affecting nearly all companies. Most companies won't care about the RT market.

The stock is now very dependent on when FSD/Robotics launches as a growth driver (since EV sales are flat/down) and when will actual profits/margins show up for these unknowns as you state. TSLA stock was high because they had very high net margins prior vs. the industry, but those are gone now so everyone is waiting for those new things to play out which is a total unknown if/when it can be released.

I think if China were to go to war with Taiwan, we'd all have far bigger problems as many western nations depend on Taiwan for chips and it wouldn't be a shock if US stepped in leading to pretty much a far wider conflict with across the board losers. If they don't step in, the whole alliance across South Korea, Japan, Australia, Philippines is at risk.

I think this partnership will show WS how stable Tesla's next path is and will hopefully give us that next ATH push over a few years.
The auto is the foundational robot that meets everyday humanity. AI makes that auto deliver the inflection point improvement (10x) that Andy Grove found so critical - the killer application. Buckle up. IMO

Yeah I hate driving without Autopilot now too, its just so incredibly handy and wonderful at what it does.

My wife has a Subaru Crosstrek and it feels like going back to the stone age every time I have to drive it. No autopilot, its noisy, wipers and lights don't work themselves, need to constantly adjust the climate controls, etc.

Tesla cars have a way of spoiling you, no wonder they sell so well. 😎

I do wonder if anyone here has driven any other EV with their autopilot tech honestly (it seems very biased here).

From everything I've read/see/watch not here, it's all pretty similar so as long as it's an EV with their own driver assistance, the Tesla Autopilot is not such a big leap/increase from most everything else out there in the lux space.

Maybe folks here should do a realistic/honest check with the competition as well.

I do wonder if anyone here has driven any other EV with their autopilot tech honestly (it seems very biased here).

From everything I've read/see/watch not here, it's all pretty similar so as long as it's an EV with their own driver assistance, the Tesla Autopilot is not such a big leap/increase from most everything else out there in the lux space.

Maybe folks here should do a realistic/honest check with the competition as well.
Last time I checked, no other automaker offers anything comparable to FSD V12.

Plenty of comparisons out in social media, and plenty of conclusions that no one else is anywhere close to Tesla. Do your own homework.

I've test driven quite a lot of other brands with driving aids just for fun and curiosity, just drove an R1S last week!

Nothing I've driven yet compares to the level of Tesla's free Autopilot, let alone FSD v12 which is leaps and bounds beyond anyone else. Some of the systems I drove were downright dangerous IMHO, but some were okay yet limited in capability compared to Autopilot.

Many of us who proclaim how awesome Tesla AP is have indeed done our homework. If you had done yours you probably wouldn't be making posts like this. 😎

Are you kidding ? On average FSD supervised must be much safer than human drivers. It wouldn't plow through stop signs into cars, through reds emotionally triggered but other racers etc, road raging
“Must be…” is not data. Maybe it is safer maybe it isn’t. But gut feelings prove nothing.
And using deceptive statistics to make marketing claims about saving lives is a total BS move.

Reactions: Andy O
Last time I checked, no other automaker offers anything comparable to FSD V12.

L2 city streets not from Tesla, door to door, anywhere in China, is available to consumers there-- just as FSD V12 offers L2 city streets door to door, anywhere in NA, from Tesla. You've had this pointed out to you multiple times but keep repeating your inaccurate claim. Why?

I think the disconnect is what the data tells us is:

FSD plus a human is much safer than just a human.

But somehow people (NOT you as you specifically called out supervised)) misread that as:

FSD (by itself) is much safer than a human.